8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 2:50 PM by mikec_intel

DQ87pg boot order won't stick when set to RAID

sflesch

Tried updating to BIOS version 152. Same thing. If you have your drive set to RAID (Seagate diags don't see the drive when in AHCI), under the boot order, the RAID drive WON'T go before the Optical drive or the LAN. If I disable LAN boot, it will boot to the Hard Drive and allow me to select F12 to boot from the network.
      Also, when set to AHCI, when choosing F10 boot options, the LAN and the Optical drive are not present. This is with UEFI disabled.

• 1. Re: DQ87pg boot order won't stick when set to RAID
          mikec_intel

Hi sflesch,

I am a little confuse, what you are trying to do. Do you want to boot from the network or boot from the RAID volume?

After BIOS update, the chipset SATA mode changes to AHCI usually. If you created a RAID volume previously, it is necessary to get into the BIOS and change the option.

The Intel® Desktop Board DQ87PG is the newest 8 series motherboard; by default UEFI and Legacy boot are enable. It is better to keep this option active. The motherboard will support Hard Disk Drives with 2TB or more and additional features.

I recommend you to get into the BIOS and press F9, it will reset the settings to default; then, press F10. If you want to create a RAID or RAID ready get into the BIOS and change the SATA mode to RAID.

After resetting the BIOS, I suggest you to confirm if all Boot display options are enable at Boot tab>Boot configuration

RAID menu will be displayed as soon as you have 2 Hard Disk Drives plugged to your board.

Regards,
          Miguel C

• 2. Re: DQ87pg boot order won't stick when set to RAID
            sflesch

OK. Sorry. I'm not good at explaining this...

There are three options for hard drives: IDE (I think that's the label), RAID and AHCI.

We don't want the performance of the first, so that leaves RAID and AHCI.

There supposedly is no functional difference between these two for single drives. RAID uses all the commands AHCI does. The main problem comes in when running diagnostics, a lot of software (Seatools, Western Digital) doesn't recognize the drives when in AHCI, which could lead to a false diagnosis. If you switch to RAID for the diagnostics and forget to switch back, you run into boot issues.
            Therefore, I always use RAID, even though I only use one drive.

The problem is, while network boot is enabled, you CANNOT set a RAID drive on this board to boot BEFORE the network card. I'm not sure if it's related, but the drive is listed with the prefix "EXT:" in front of it in the boot order. You drag it to a higher position, save and exit and it just reverts to the last bootable device.

• 3. Re: DQ87pg boot order won't stick when set to RAID
              mikec_intel

Hi sflesch,

I understand better your problem now. Let me explain some considerations. RAID is useful when you want to keep information on 2 or more locations (drives) at the same time and improve system performance.

HCI is the standard format for personal computers, usually diagnostic tools for HDD are fully compatible with this format.

Could you please provide me with the operating system that you are using?

I recommend you to perform the following test. Get into the BIOS and reset settings with F9; then, save changes with F10. UEFI and Legacy boot options are going to active. The chipset SATA mode will be AHCI and USB legacy will be active. Then, reinstall the operating system. Plug the bootable USB drive to the board, turn it on and keep tapping F10 and select UEFI – USB Windows® bootloader.

The Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver is not necessary to install.

Regards,
              Mike C

• 4. Re: DQ87pg boot order won't stick when set to RAID
                sflesch

I understand the difference between RAID and AHCI, but the diagnostics do not work with AHCI.

The operating system is not the issue. It has nothing to do with the boot order in the BIOS. I have tried reseting to defaults, tried reseting/recovery with the BIOS jumper as well.

This hasn't been an issue with past BIOSes. you should be able to change the bot order and not have it reset.

Also, we can't use UEFI, we need legacy boot.

• 5. Re: DQ87pg boot order won't stick when set to RAID
                  sflesch

I have to say that I recently saw this on another Intel BIOS. Either it's an unintentional bug, which will probably never get fixed by Intel or it's set that way intentional for some unknown/odd reason.

• 6. Re: DQ87pg boot order won't stick when set to RAID
                    mikec_intel

Hi sflesch,

Just take in consideration, if you installed the operating system as RAID configuration, the chipset SATA mode was set as RAID. If you change the chipset SATA mode to AHCI the system will not boot.

Regards,
                    Miguel C

• 7. Re: DQ87pg boot order won't stick when set to RAID
                      sflesch

This has nothing to do with the operating system. The boot order changes in the BIOS even though I keep saving it as the hard drive first.

F2 -> Change hard drive to boot first. F10 and save. F2 go back into BIOS and the boot order goes back to what it was before saving.

Haven't booted to operating system at all.

The problem comes in when the network boot is enabled, the hard drive becomes the last boot device and it goes through PXE boot and boots off the network.

This IS NOT am operating system problem. It IS a BIOS issue.

• 8. Re: DQ87pg boot order won't stick when set to RAID
                        mikec_intel

Hi sflesch,

I suggest you to update the BIOS again to version 0152 with the recovery option. If problem persist, let me know the operating system that you have on your Hard Disk Drive, BIOS settings and which RAID configuration you are using.

Regards,
                        Mike C