Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

Dual Core but different freqs.

mmala3
Beginner

hi guys, i have windows 7 ultimate sp1 on my pc with intel pentium processor g2020 @ 2.90GHz 2.90GHz, i undergone windows experience index and it came out 5.6 base score bcoz i only got 2gb rambefore. last month i bought 4gb ram and reformat my pc and make it 64bit with 6gb ram. but i notice this thing. my processors's frequencies were the same before. but now, one is 2.90GHz and one is 2.89GHz. i did WEI and got 5.4 base score of the processor. speccy keeps saying that it is only one core but im really sure that my processor have 2 cores.i cant find any solution even just topics or disscusions about my problem thats why im very confused. i hope someone could help me with this. thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Hello marvz,

It might be the system memory speed that causes the change of your core speed, in other words, two memory modules might work on the lower speed than before when only one is plugged. But that is not the reason for only one core could be utilised on your system. I have no information about your system (computer model or mainboard model), but please first check the configuration of BIOS/UEFI/SETUP for CPU, is there any parameter to enable only one core to work? If so, change it to enable the other core! You might also try the enable multicores on Windows 7 in the following steps:

1.Use Administrator privilege to start Command Prompt

2.Type msconfig and press enter

3.The System Configration windows would open, and select Boot tab where click Advanced options... button

4. Another window, Boot Advanced Options would open, where uncheck the option, Number of processors:, click OK to close this window

5. Click OK to close window, System Configuration

6. Restart your computer

I wish those two solutions could solve your problems, good luck!

Best Wishes,

Aaron Janagewen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
KTran10
New Contributor I

Run CPU-Z, or open task manager and click on performance tab, you should see 2 CPU

0 Kudos
mmala3
Beginner

they keeps saying its only a one cored processor.

0 Kudos
KTran10
New Contributor I

Check BIOS in the CPU section to see if one core being disabled

0 Kudos
mmala3
Beginner

Sir Langtu, i have a photo here my Bios and it says that 2 cores are active. i tried to change "all" in the section below but its still the same

0 Kudos
KTran10
New Contributor I

Do you have motherboard model, it is usually relate to BIOS in CPU configuration. The only explanation is one core failed BIST (burn in self test) and turn it off itself. In the msconfig you should uncheck number of processors. Currently it set to 1 processor

0 Kudos
mmala3
Beginner

Thanks sir langtu. it fixed my problem i should uncheck not just wait for "2" to show and choose. thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Hello marvz,

It might be the system memory speed that causes the change of your core speed, in other words, two memory modules might work on the lower speed than before when only one is plugged. But that is not the reason for only one core could be utilised on your system. I have no information about your system (computer model or mainboard model), but please first check the configuration of BIOS/UEFI/SETUP for CPU, is there any parameter to enable only one core to work? If so, change it to enable the other core! You might also try the enable multicores on Windows 7 in the following steps:

1.Use Administrator privilege to start Command Prompt

2.Type msconfig and press enter

3.The System Configration windows would open, and select Boot tab where click Advanced options... button

4. Another window, Boot Advanced Options would open, where uncheck the option, Number of processors:, click OK to close this window

5. Click OK to close window, System Configuration

6. Restart your computer

I wish those two solutions could solve your problems, good luck!

Best Wishes,

Aaron Janagewen

0 Kudos
mmala3
Beginner

Sir Janagewen, ive checked my Bios Setup for CPU and it says that 2 cores are active. and here i have a screenshot for msconfig/boot advanced options. when i was in 32bit i know i changed this to 2 cores. but now theres no option in applying 2 cores.

0 Kudos
mmala3
Beginner

Speccy:

Summary

Operating System

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Pentium G2020 @ 2.90GHz 44 °C

Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM

6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H61M-C (LGA1155) 38 °C

Graphics

Acer P166HQL (1366x768@60Hz)

2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 (Undefined) 39 °C

Storage

465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKX-60U6AA0 ATA Device (SATA) 40 °C

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB ATA Device

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Operating System