Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20600 Discussions

Bug: Windows region settings (digit grouping symbol, decimal symbol) break Intel HD Graphics Control Panel

jsmit671
Novice

1. Go to Windows Control Panel: "Change date, time, or number formats"

2. Set the Format to "English (United States)"

3. Go to "Additional settings..."

4. Set the "Digit grouping symbol" to period (.)

5. Set the "Decimal symbol" to anything other that period, e.g., set it to comma (,)

6. Apply these settings, it should look like this:

7. Open Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. It is now completely unusable. The controls are missing/cut off/in the wrong position/drawn on top of each other.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

see above

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

every single time

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

MSI GT72 6QD Dominator G

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Switchable

(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M)

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

(LG Philipps LGD0469)

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16 GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc...
14 Replies
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello johnsmith32,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Try uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it, you can follow the steps how to uninstall it here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html Uninstalling the Intel® Graphics Driver and Intel Display HDMI Audio...

After the driver is uninstalled, restart your system and reinstall the driver again, you can download the latest version for your system at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25484/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
jsmit671
Novice

Reinstalling the driver does not fix the problem.

It is a bug in the control panel software present in all recent versions up to and including the latest beta 15.40.18.64.4380.

Using the instructions I have provided it should be straigtforward to reproduce the bug.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Does this happen with your system manufacturer driver as well?

It is important to have in mind that using drivers from the Intel website not necessarily will work properly as branded computers are custom products that have proprietary designs and therefore they need proprietary drivers as well.

Did you inform you system manufacturer about this issue?

0 Kudos
jsmit671
Novice

Yes, this happens with the system manufacturer driver as well.

No, I did not inform the system manufacturer since this is a bug in the control panel software that is not specific to the hardware configuration.

Did you try to reproduce the bug using the instructions I have provided?

Can you please forward a link to this discussion to a .NET developer working on the control panel software? This bug may be related to their managed code treating the coordinates for the controls in non culture invaiant manner.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hi johnsmith32,

I'm sorry for the time It took me to be able to test this configuration with the information you provided.

After I did the test I found out the same problem, I will be escalating this issue for further investigation.

Best regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
jsmit671
Novice

The problem is still present in the latest version win64_154018.4380.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

This is still under investigation; unfortunately I don't have an ETA when the problem will be solved.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
INede1
Beginner

Hi guys, I think i found a solution.

Step 1: Uninstall all your display drivers using the Display Driver Uninstaller Utility => http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

and restart after each uninstalled driver.

Step 2: Install the latest driver from Intel, using Run As Administrator.

Proof:

If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to reply. I will try to help you as much as I can.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hi,

I'm glad that you were able to solve that issue and I really appreciate you have taken your time to let us know.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
jsmit671
Novice

- Kabaiel's suggestion does not work.

- The problem is still present in the latest version 15.40.4530.

- This bug has been reported for 8 months, has been described in detail, is hardware-independent, is reproducible, and above all the cause has been identified from the start. Yet there is not a single post from a UI developer here. There isn't even anything indicating that UI developers are aware of this bug at all. Needless to say, I am disappointed. All I can do is repeat what I said in february: "Can you please forward a link to this discussion to a .NET developer working on the control panel software? This bug may be related to their managed code treating the coordinates for the controls in non culture invariant manner."

0 Kudos
aacco1
Beginner
0 Kudos
MToma3
Beginner

Hi,

this issue is still present in version win64_153631.4414.

Is there any update on this issue?

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

I would like to confirm that we already have a fix for this issue. This is currently being retested and our goal is to incorporate it in our next driver updates.

As soon as I have details on the driver update I'll post them here.

We apologize for taking so long.

Regards,

jsmit671
Novice

win64_154514.4590 looks good.