5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2016 9:53 AM by EstebanC_Intel

NUC5PPYB: USB wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard probs

GenX_User

Hi,

I have a new NUC5PPYB here which I want to use as HTPC (OpenELEC). Trying to set it up, I noticed that my USB keyboard (Logitech diNovo Mini) became slow after a while. Key presses took long to appear on the screen or were entirely dropped. Attempting to fix the issue, I went into the BIOS and found out that, after a while, the keyboard became veeeeeery sloooooooooow there as well. So I thought my keyboard must be broken and tried another USB keyboard (Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard). Interestingly, inputs with this became slow after a while as well. I switched USB ports for the keyboard transmitter, but that did not help.

Is there a known issue with the NUC5PPYB and wireless (Bluetooth) USB keyboards? The Microsoft keyboard is my daily desktop keyboard (Win and Linux machines), so I'm pretty sure it's not broken. But there must be an issue somewhere.

BIOS PYBSWCEL.86A.0048.2015.1210.1424

Thanks for any help, Chris

• 1. Re: NUC5PPYB: USB wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard probs
          EstebanC_Intel

Hello, GenX_User:

After doing my research I found that a previous BIOS version has some fixes for USB ( I know it also affects Bluetooth but it could be a fix for the wired keyboard and provide us with a clearer overview of what could be happening with your unit).

Let's rollback to the version 0040, please do read the following about rolling back to another BIOS version.

Intel® NUC BIOS Version Downgrade Instructions

Download BIOS Update [PYBSWCEL.86A] version 0040

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 2. Re: NUC5PPYB: USB wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard probs
            GenX_User

Hi Esteban,

thanks for looking into this. A quick comparison of both BIOSes:

• With the older BIOS (40), the keyboard did not work anymore at all in the front USB ports - neither to get into the BIOS, nor in the OS. I removed power entirely for 5 mins, but that also did not change anything. Tested both ports at the front, to no avail. Before entirely panicking, I tried the USB ports in the back, and was relieved to have a working keyboard again.
            • I played around in the BIOS for 30 mins, and the keyboard inputs did not become slow after some time with this BIOS. So yes, in this sense with this BIOS is working better.

Two further, unrelated observations:

• The older BIOS does not adjust to the screen resolution, and thus is actually quite small on my FullHD TV connected to the NUC.
            • Both BIOSes (40 and 48), old and new, have difficulties if you want to control them with just a keyboard, no mouse. You can get stuck in menus. E.g., if you select (with TAB or cursor keys) the wrench on the home screen, you get a sub-menu. You could select something there, but realize you did not want to go there, so push ESC. The menu closes, and ... I found no way to select any further entry with the keyboard: Cursor does not work, TAB does not work - even F10 does not work, all changes are lost, as I have to reboot the machine.

I hope this helps. Please let me know, should you need further details.

Chris

EDIT: Yikes, having flashed BIOS 40, I cannot power on the NUC anymore with my remote?! That leaves the machine in a very inconvenient state for family use.

• 3. Re: NUC5PPYB: USB wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard probs
              EstebanC_Intel

Hello, GenX_User:

The version 0044 has a fix for CIR (related to your remote control), please update to that version and test your system.

My recommendation, if you encounter with additional issues, look for keywords in the release notes for the latest BIOS update, if there is a fix for that you could update to the version that has the fix.

If the version is older, the downgrade procedure would have to be done.

Download BIOS Update [PYBSWCEL.86A]

Intel® NUC BIOS Version Downgrade Instructions

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 4. Re: NUC5PPYB: USB wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard probs
                GenX_User

Thanks, Esteban. Other versions of the BIOS did not help with powering on via the remote, but brought back the keyboard lagging.

As I found out by googling around, to be able to power on the NUC with a remote, I have to install Windows once, and install the driver for the CIR. Apparently, that does something to the configuration of the CIR relevant for the BIOS...? In any case, only thereafter, powering on the NUC via IR is possible, and I can install Linux again (OpenELEC in my case), with powering on then still working. This was an issue with earlier versions of the NUC, and still seems to be the case (also with the most recent BIOS 48).

So BIOS 40 and installing Win10 once does the trick for me.

I have made very good experience with Intel hardware and Linux in the past, so was a bit surprised to find out about the above.

Anyhow, thanks!

Chris

• 5. Re: NUC5PPYB: USB wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard probs
                  EstebanC_Intel

Hello, GenX_User:

I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding this.

I am also glad to hear that you were able to fix the issue by installing the OS and then CIR related driver.

If you require any further information or support, feel free to contact the Intel® Communities again.

Regards,

Esteban C