When you have a RAID 0 volume in Intel® Rapid Storage Technology, the OS will interact directly with the IRST driver. The NVMe driver is not required for operation.
The Intel® Solid-State Drive 750 Series is normally found in Device Manager, under Storage Controllers when it is working as a standalone drive, however, this is not the case when it is operating behind a RAID controller.
We will check with our additional resources if Intel® SSD Toolbox will be able to manage the 750 when using IRST. In the meantime, please let us know the following details:
- IRST driver version
- Intel® SSD Toolbox version
- List of the devices detected by the Toolbox.
- Please check under Device Manager - Storage Controllers and let us know the devices listed.
Thank you for the quick reply and explanation of what is occurring with my RAID setup. Here is the information you requested:
- IRST driver version: 184.108.40.2061 This is listed as the "Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller" under Storage Controller in Device Manager and in the IRST program
- Intel® SSD Toolbox version: 3.3.3
- List of the devices detected by the Toolbox: Here are two screenshots of what is detected by the Toolbox
- Please check under Device Manager - Storage Controllers and let us know the devices listed.:
Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller
Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
One additional thing that comes to mind is that I am currently unable to update the firmware of the two Intel 750s with the IRST driver.
Thanks again, Johnathon for looking into this.
Based on our additional research and the screenshots you provided, this is the normal behavior in this configuration.
Since you are using IRST to create a RAID volume with your Intel® SSD 750 Series, Intel® SSD Toolbox will show the volume, but not the details of the 750's, the optimize function is not available in this configuration either.
Please keep in mind that Windows® 10 has native TRIM support, and running the Optimizer should not be necessary.
At this time it is not possible to update the Intel® SSD 750 Series firmware using Intel® SSD Toolbox when the Storage controller (IRST) is in RAID mode. We have forwarded this feedback to the proper resources for further evaluation.