1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2016 6:49 AM by seicalata

NUC6i5SYH + Samsung 950 pro 512 GB maximum read - write speed?

Paulussie

Hi,

Not that I am really dissatisfied with the speed of above mentioned combination as it is faster than anything else in my office, I still have a question about this.

AFAIK the NUC Skylake series has a PCIe 3.0, 4x M.2 interface. The Samsung 950 pro drive should be able to use that interface to the max, resulting in a sequential read speed of around 2500 MB/s, and a sequential write speed of around 1500 MB/s. I have seen this drive do this on an Asus H170 motherboard.

On my NUC Samsung Magician reports 1706 MB/s read and1558 MB/s write. So the expected write speed is met, but the read speed lags behind. It does not look like a temperature throttling issue, as the measurement is taken right after a cold boot. Another performance measurement tool like CrystalDiskMark gets numbers in the same area.

Is there anyone who could shed some light on this? And is anybody getting the maximum speed out of this (or a like) combination?

The setup I use:

- NUC6i5SYH

- Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB attached to the M.2 interface

- 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2133

- 500GB Crucial MX200 attached to the SATA interface

- BIOS 0033

- Windows 10 Pro, booting from the 950

- Latest updates / drivers installed, the driver for the 950 is downloaded from Samsung

- Over provisioning enabled on the 950 for the full suggested 47GB (10%)

Regards,

Paul

1 2 Previous Next