4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2010 7:35 AM by baracuda

Raid 5 Rebuild - 0% After 24 Hours

kuba

Hi All,

I've just tried to rebuild my 5 x 1TB Raid 5. I've left the PC well over 24 hours now. The system tray icon in Windows 7 shows the raid status as rebuilding however progress is at 0%.

I have seen it at 1% but then a few minutes later it has reset back to 0%.

I have switched off anti virus software. The drive is a pure data drive and I am not using it for the operating system.

I am using 4 Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 drives and 1 Samsung HD103UJ drives (the replacement drive).

I am running Win 7 Pro.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Raid 5 Rebuild - 0% After 24 Hours
          kuba

Update: I've now reverted to version 8.8 of IMSM and the same has happened. I have now also tried the beta of the Intel Matrix Storage Technology app. This shows gradual % build. After it reaches just over 1% the rebuild resets and goes back to the start. It takes a few of minutes to get to 1%.

• 2. Re: Raid 5 Rebuild - 0% After 24 Hours
            kuba

Another update:

I have tried to reuse the "failed" Hitachi drive. It seems to be working, however the rebuild also resets at 1.13%.

It looks like I may be another victim of the 8.9 version of IMSM. I had installed Win 7 Pro on my PC over a month ago and had no problems with the RAID, but noticed I had not installed the IMSM software. Less than a day after installation I seem to have a phantom drive failure - coincidence ... maybe not.

Does anyone have any advice or tips for me or will I be forced to rebuild my RAID from scratch by coping all data on to other drives?

• 3. Re: Raid 5 Rebuild - 0% After 24 Hours
              baracuda

Please read my post....here

http://communities.intel.com/thread/4432?start=15&tstart=0

your invited to answer in that thread.

btw, at this moment, theres no apparent solution. i hope in the next driver release....

• 4. Re: Raid 5 Rebuild - 0% After 24 Hours
                baracuda

New driver release. problem solved.

no more phantom drive failures !!!

Driver Name : Intel Rapid Storage Technology

best working driver versions check : 9.5.0.1037

Tested on WIN 7    /    3-5 hours rebuild time.

newer driver version checked :         9.5.6.1002

Tested on WIN XP PRO   /   8-13 hours rebuild time.