Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20665 Discussions

Intel NUC6i3 with Intel HD 520 audio over HDMI issue

RWied
Beginner

Hi,

I got some frustrating issues with my Intel HD 520 and Audio via HDMI / mDP.

[Description]

The Audio over HDMI just stops/breaks under some circumstances:

1. Starting some games in fullscreen will instantly break audio over HDMI / mDP. Window Mode works just fine.

2. Using Kodi in Fullscreen when switchin between different refresh rates (24p, 50p, 60p). It can happen after some videos or even after just one video.

There is no error or anything reported back to me. After this issue happend the software will hang / stutter and freezes when closed down.

Some games work just fine for hours without any issues. I've got no idea why that is.

When starting the Game "Faster than Light" in fullscreen sound breaks 100% of all times.

Playing some old backups of my GameCube games with Dolphin emulator and DirectX as Renderer will also lead 100% to this issue.

The Games "Kerbal Space Program" and "Dead Space 1" worked always without any issues.

[Hardware]

Its a Intel NUC6i3SYH with Integrated Intel HD 520 Graphics and no NV or AMD Card.

It is equipped with one "4 GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR4-2133 SO-DIMM CL15-15-15" which was tested with Memtest86+ and no issues found.

The OS is installed on an Sandisk SSD.

There is no LFP and one EFP connected. The NUC is connected to an Onkyo TX-SR507 (connected to an Samsung TV).

The Onkyo Receiver and Samsung TV are older but I never had any problems like this (at least 20 different devices and also a older NUC5i3RYH).

[Software]

The OS is Windows 10 Pro. I also tested Win 10 Home (with same result).

I tested all available Bios versions (0024, 0028, 0033). The issue was always present.

Driver versions tested were 4300, 4332 and 4356 from support site. Also tested the ones installed via Windows update (I believe it was version 4332 too)

Kodi versions are 16.0 beta4, beta5 and rc3. No difference between them found.

Game versions were all the latest available on steam.

Intel CUI screenshot is added.

[Configurations]

Its a single display configuration with 1080p 60hz under windows. Refresh rate might be different in Games or Kodi (which leads to the problem above I think).

The system runs from AC.

[How to repro]

1. Install Windows 10 from scratch and update drivers and system

2. install NUC6i3SYH Graphics drivers from support site

3. Setup Intel Audio to 5.1 (2.1 and other settings should lead to the same result; at least for me)

4. Install Kodi 16.0 (beta4, beta5 or rc3) and "Faster than Light"

5. Setup Kodi 16.0 as seen in screenshots

6. Switch between videos with different refresh rate. At some point audio should stop working.

7. Start Faster than Light either in Fullscreen or Window Mode. In Window Mode sound should work fine.

8. Switch to Fullscreen and sound stops working

[Logs]

I will add SSU, DxDiag and DispDiag later on. 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi roop,

I tested the Intel® NUC Kit 6i3SYH without the home theater and no issues presented. Now, there are resolutions not supported by this NUC.

These are the video specs of your NUC:

HDMI 1.4b

The port is compatible with all ATSC and DVB HDTV standards and supports eight full range channels at 24-bit/96 kHz audio of lossless audio formats.

The maximum supported resolution is 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz and 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz, 24 bpp (WUXGA).

Mini DisplayPort 1.2

The maximum supported resolution is 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz, 30bpp.

More details at Intel® NUC Board NUC6i5SYB and Intel® NUC Board NUC6i3SYB Technical Product Specification

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/25507/eng/NUC6i5SYB_NUC6i3SYB_TechProdSpec01.pdf http://downloadmirror.intel.com/25507/eng/NUC6i5SYB_NUC6i3SYB_TechProdSpec01.pdf

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
RWied
Beginner

Hi mikec,

I tried some other stuff and finally the new beta drivers 4380 seems to work correctly.

Looks like it was some bug or something after all. Better than a defective unit.

Regards,

Roop

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi roop,

Thank you for your feedback. Driver Version 4380 Beta is a new driver and it is still under developing.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
RKarl5
Beginner

I've had the exact same problem as roop. No sound in some games (Rayman Legends and LEGO Marvel Avengers) when in fullscreen.

My setup is slightly different. Nuc6i5, 16Gb RAM, Win10 Pro on Samsung M.2 950 Pro. Also connected to Samsung TV via Onkyo receiver. Did hook it up via hdmi to my Eizo Foris monitor with built in speakers and same problem occures there.

I removed the M.2 and installed Win7 Ultimate on old Intel SSD I had lying around. Started out with Iris driver 4352 and Rayman. Same issue, no sound in fullscreen.

Tried the 4380 beta driver, got sound in fullscreen but framerate seemed capped at 24 FPS making the game impossible to play (like slow motion). Same thing with the 4404 driver. Lowering resolution has no effect either.

In windowed mode with same resolution as fullscreen 1920*1080 I get 40-60 FPS (with sound) making the game as enjoyable as usual. Except for the window.

LEGO Marvel Avengers will only play sounds in windowed mode on 4352. However FPS drops quickly to 0 and back every few seconds. This happens no matter which driver verion I use, windowed or fullscreen, and even with all graphic settings set to low or off.

Fifa 15 seems to work ok in fullscreeen on 4352.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but the 4380 driver did not solve all issues with gaming on Iris.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi isotop,

Let me know if you are already using the latest BIOS version 0036 and disable Round Trip Latency Optimization option.

More details on the link below

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000019524.html DDR4 Memory Fix for Intel® NUC Kits NUC6i3SYK/H and NUC6i5SYK/H

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
RKarl5
Beginner

Hi Mike C,

Yes, running on BIOS version 0036.

New since last post:

- Disabled Round Trip Latency Optimization option.

- Installed the official (not beta) version of the 4380 driver.

My findings so far:

- Fifa 15 still working good.

- Rayman Legends finally working with good FPS and sound in fullscreen!! 🙂

- Lego Marvel Avengers. Still problems with regular drops in FPS. However the time between drops has increased from maybe 5 to about 15 seconds. I'm using Fraps to monitor FPS and can clearly see the drop down to 0 and back up again.

- Installed LEGO Marvel Super Heroes. Same thing.

- Installed DIRT Rally. Seems to be doing ok at first but then I noticed some weird movement (graphical errors) in the trees. Not much while running with Multisampling turned off but when turned on things got really crazy. Also noticed that when driving from within the car the interior sometimes looked odd.

- Civilization 5 GOTY Edition. Choose the DirectX 10 & 11 version first. Parts of the gui flickers both in the menues and during gameplay. Tried different settings but to no effekt. Really annoying. Started up the DirectX 9 version and it seems to work fine. Edit: Just realized it is actually running at 1080i instead of 1080p while in DX10,11 mode. No idea why but probably the reason for the flickering.

Regards,

Isotop

0 Kudos
RKarl5
Beginner

Hi Mike C,

Since my last post I've had even more problems and now they are affecting the primary use of the nuc which for me is to act as a htpc.

First of all I haven't been able to turn the nuc off from within Windows. It starts booting again the second it turns off. The only workaround I've found is to press the physical button at the moment of reboot. This I can live with since I normally leave my htpc on at all times.

More serius problems has developed with the sound output. Twice in the last few days I have had to reinstall the audio driver. It wasn't reporting any errors or anything. It was just not there anymore. Very strange. Reinstallation fixed the problem and sound was back.

Yesterday when I was gonna watch an episode of Bosch using MPC-HC I got no sound. I checked the driver but it was installed. I checked the playback devices and everything looked ok. Clicked the volume knob to get some pinging sounds from windows but nothing. Rebooted, tried again with MPC-HC, nothing. Clicked on the volume knob and for a second or so I got some sounds through my speakers but then nothing. Removed the hdmi cable from the nuc and reinserted it again. Got maybe one or two pings from the volume knob, then silence.

Got fed up with crappy hardware. Moved the hdmi cable to my old AMD E-350 based htpc and watched Bosch. Flawless.

New day.

Have been trying pretty much all I can think of to get sound over hdmi working again but with no success.

Moving on to the bios 0039 and beta g-driver 4404 you recommended.

I'll start with the positive things. Sound over hdmi is back! I was able to watch the last two episodes of Bosch. On the other hand, I did get sound most of the time with the 0036 bios and the 4380 g-driver I was using before so I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Also, when turning it off, it stays off.

On to the games.

- Rayman is working, as before.

- LEGO Marvel Avengers. Still same problem with regular drops i FPS.

- DIRT Rally. Still same problem with Multisampling.

- CIV5. Still running interlaced in DX10&11 mode.

- FIFA 15. This is (was) the only game that has been working ok no matter which combo of bios/drivers I've thrown at it. However, with the 0039/4404 combo you managed to mess that one up as well. All players are black, like black silhouettes. Everything else looks normal.

Reinstalled the 4380 driver and FIFA 15 was back to normal again.

Regards,

Isotop

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi isotop,

Thank you for your response.

Intel already tested many games and suggests customized graphics settings according to the specific game. The information is available in the link below.

Optimize popular games to play on Intel Graphics

https://gameplay.intel.com/ Best Gaming Settings

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
RKarl5
Beginner

Hi Mike C

long time no see. 🙂

I felt I needed a break from all the problem solving involved with my NUC.

Since my last post in April I have been using the nuc as a htpc but not for gaming due to all the issues.

As a htpc everything has been good except for the fact that each time I start the TV and receiver (NUC is on 24/7) I have to disable and enable the Intel(R) Display Audio in Computer Management. Otherwise the NUC won't output audio to my receiver.

The other day I read a thread on this forum in which it had been solved how to get the full 2500/1500 Mb/sec from the Samsung 950 Pro M.2. Great work by forum member Paulussie in the thread: "NUC6i5SYH + Samsung 950 pro 512 GB maximum read - write speed?"

So I upgraded the BIOS to latest version (0054) according to Paulussie's instructions and voila: 2500/1500!!!

Feeling optimistic I continued to upgrade all drivers as of 07-11-2016 thinking now is the time to start using my nuc for some serious gaming.

This is my results on the games:

- Rayman is working, as before.

- FIFA 15 is working.

- LEGO Marvel Avengers. Still same problem with regular drops i FPS. Same problem in other LEGO games by Tt.

- DIRT Rally. Still same problem with Multisampling.

- CIV5. Still running interlaced in DX10&11 mode.

Three out of five random games still not working correctly after all this time.

Also, I still had to disable and enable the Intel(R) Display Audio to get sound to my receiver.

Regards,

Isotop

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello isotop,

I have sent a private message to you.

Best regards,

Angie

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello roop,

I would like to know if the information provided to you was able to solve your concern?

In case if you need further assistance do not hesitate to reply back.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Angie.
0 Kudos