Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20665 Discussions

i7 6700k - 530 HD displays artifacts, flickers, goes black, etc. etc.

ACabr5
Beginner

Bought a new computer and upon finishing Windows 10 Pro installation, noticed that the display connected on the 530 keeps showing artifacts-flickers every now and then, sometimes it goes black for 1-2 seconds then comes back.

When I thought it was the display, I tried it on the old computer, and everything worked perfectly.

I thought that it was a problem on the memory, tried with 1 stick (after running memtest) and the problem still existed.

Updated the drivers to the latest - still problem persists.

Finally went to google the problem and found out I am not the only one with the GPU flickering - it's so dissapointing.

Any ideas?

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

530 HD displays artifacts, flickers, goes black, etc. etc.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

every single time - every 2-3 minutes something of the above happens

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Intel Skylake HD Graphics 530 (i7 6700k)

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Hybrid - NVidia GeForce GTX650

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-right-width: 1pt; border-bottom-width: 1pt; border-style: none solid solid none; border-right-color: windowtext; border-b...
0 Kudos
43 Replies
ACabr5
Beginner

Bump?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi alejocazu,

I noted you are using memories of 2400MHz. the Intel® Core™ i7-6700K supports memories of DDR4 2133MHz at 1.25v. Do a test using minimum configuration, I mean using motherboard, processor, 1 memory stick at 2133MHz, without dedicated graphics card.

Please download and run our Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send me the results.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
ACabr5
Beginner

Hi Mikec_intel

Tried it, memory at 2133, one stick, all tests passed properly... still blinking... so annoying. I decided to install a second dedicated card and forget about HD530, at least til you release some stable drivers.

0 Kudos
DSadl2
Beginner

I was tested my pc with only integrated graphic Hd530 and one memory stick. Full factory reset of Bios and still goes black. Mayby time between flickers was longest but I'm not sure.

All driver in last version.

0 Kudos
DSadl2
Beginner

Alejocazu do you have same problem in Bios ?

0 Kudos
ACabr5
Beginner

I have 0 problems - THe only problem is the HD530 output that blinks/flickers. Computer is rock solid, all tests i've done have succesfully passed.

0 Kudos
DSadl2
Beginner

My screen goes black in bios is well. Connected to dvi on mainboard with out external graphic card.

I7 6700k

MSI Z170A M3

2X4GB

700W

0 Kudos
WFran6
Beginner

Alejocazu- I had this EXACT same problem. Ruled out external video card, memory, everything except either CPU or Motherboard. You may have seen my posts seeking help on reddit and OverClockers.net . I RMA'd both the CPU and motherboard. I am still waiting to have them returned to me.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Intel released a beta graphics driver; it improves pc performance while playing with some games.

Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10*

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25749/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25749/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TElle
Beginner

Hi all,

I am running Windows 10 Education on a Dell XPS 9550 which has an Intel i7 6700HQ + HD 530 Graphics / Nvidia 960M with a 4k screen. The HD 530 graphics driver continuously crashes and recovers in random time intervals, but at least once every 20-30 minutes, causing the screen to go black for a second and come back on.

After much frustration with this problem running the Dell provided driver for this chip from early November, I upgraded to the latest beta driver directly from Intel posted 2/9/2016 although this problem still persists. Are there any updates on this issue -- the Intel HD 530 has been available to consumers for quite some time now

I attached the xml output of the System Service Utility

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi bugdestroyer1234,

Your Dell XPS 9550 laptop has Hybrid graphics, it means Intel® HD graphics 530 and Nvidia® 960M work at the same time. It is not possible to disable one of them.

On laptops, it is better to install the latest drivers provided with manufacturer's support website. (both drivers)

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-15-9550-laptop/drivers Product Support | Dell US

Also, I suggest you to run Dell's automatic tool (Dell Update Application). It will install any missing driver or BIOS.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TElle
Beginner

These driver crashes are isolated incidents related specifically to the Intel HD 530, and this problem persists despite having the latest drivers/BIOS updates from Dell.

I would also like to point out that this constant driver crashing issue exists in other devices that I own which only utilize Skylake integrated graphics.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi bugdestroyer1234,

If you are getting video issues while playing, I suggest you to customize the graphics settings according to Intel recommendations at

https://gameplay.intel.com/ Best Gaming Settings

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TElle
Beginner

I'm having these flickering issues during every level of use on my $2k computer, which includes just staring at the Windows desktop with no applications running. It is a real shame that such expensive machines are less reliable than bargain bin AMD powered computers. Should we anticipate a real fix for these problems?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi bugdestroyer1234,

I regret the inconvenience; however, as I told you before, it is necessary to use Intel® and Nvidia® graphics at the same time. If you use only 1 of them the computer will not work properly.

I suggest you to verify with your laptop manufacturer if you already have the latest BIOS and chipset driver too.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi Mike C ,

Unfortunately it is not a laptop it is a desktop with a gigabyte mainboard Z170X-Gaming 3 and an i7 6700k, so it should work with or without discrete graphic card.

0 Kudos
MBeny
Beginner

Regarding the HD530 video flickering issue. I can create it and eliminate it at will now that I know exactly what is causing the issue. As for why it happens that is for Intel to figure out.

It turns out to be the DDR4 memory speed. The issue will begin intermittently at 2600MHz and gets progressively worse as I increase the speed. At the maximum speed for my kit 3466MHz the screen just vibrates wildly.

I solved it permanently by installing a nvidia GTX 750 graphics card and disabling the HD530 in the BIOS. Now I have triple the video speed and no more flicker issue. On a personal note I do feel cheated by Intel as was I expecting the video to work properly and did not want, or should have had to spend an extra $139 to solve Intel's video issue.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi alpha2alpha,

The memory controller is inside the processor and the HD graphics as well. If you are over clocking the processor is going to get hotter and the system will be unstable.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
JAndo1
Beginner

Hey all

I just built my PC (Intel I7 6700K + Asus Maximus 7 Hero + 32 GBs DDR4 2666 MHz + Samsung Evo 256 GBs SSD + 1 TB Seagate Baraccuda) The monitor is flicking from time to time. What I noticed was when I put the USB 3 from the case to the motherboard in the port which is near the RAM, the monitor flickers less. I am seriously thinking of returning the Intel CPU, I wanted the best they can offer and the best they could offer me is "feature".....

Best regards

Julien Andonov

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi JulienAndonov,

In regards the flickering issues, I recommend you to downgrade the speed of the RAM to 2133MHz at 1.2V and verify if you are using the graphics driver version 15.40.20.4404

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos