11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 2:20 AM by richard.heatley

Using Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) on NUC5i3MYBE/NUC5i5MYBE

richard.heatley

Hello,

I have a project trying to use the eDP port on a Maple Canyon NUC. I would like to test it using a panel with no EDID, ideally using one of the "predefined panel types". Looking in the BIOS I have found

Advanced -> Devices -> Video -> Basic Flat Panel Configuration

This setting is set to "Disable" and the control is also disabled so I can't change it. The "Technical Product Specification" seems to suggest this is the expected default

Support for flat panel display configuration complies with the following:

1. Internal flat panel display connectivity is disabled (and all parameters hidden) by default.

2. Internal flat panel display settings are not exposed through Intel® Integrator Toolkit or Intel® Integrator Assistant GUIs

How do I go about enabling the settings in the BIOS or alternatively can the settings be changed through some other Intel tool?

Thank you, regards,

Richard.

• 1. Re: Using Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) on NUC5i3MYBE/NUC5i5MYBE
          Amy_Intel

Hello, richard.heatley:

The configuration modes for this NUC are the following;

Capture1.PNG(Page 28)

The options that you are trying to set in the BIOS cannot be changed, overwritten and they will be present across future BIOS updates, note the picture below;

Capture.PNG(Page 29)

Please bear in mind that Intel has ended the support for Intel® Integrator Toolkit and for Intel®Integrator Assistant GUIs.

For further reference http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24566/eng/NUC5i5MYBE_TechProdSpec05.pdf

Regards,

• 2. Re: Using Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) on NUC5i3MYBE/NUC5i5MYBE
            richard.heatley

Hello @Amy_Intel

Thank you for the reply. I'd be very happy with either the second or third "configuration mode" as they allow me to use an eDP panel with no EDID.

Feeling a bit stupid, I have no idea how I select one of those configuration modes. The second snippet you quote seems to mostly list ways in which it cannot be set! I'm assuming my best better is to change the setting mentioned in Note 1. which as suggested is currently set to "Disable". However the BIOS prevents me from changing it so I interpreted Note 1. to mean the option itself is disabled (which is what I see). Have I misunderstood this, do you expect it to be possible to change the setting from "Disable"?

If I should be able to change it, is the option grayed out because it hasn't detected my screen? Do you know what the BIOS is using to detect the screen's presence as the EDID seems optional?

Regards,

Richard

• 3. Re: Using Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) on NUC5i3MYBE/NUC5i5MYBE
              Amy_Intel

According to the technical product specification (TPS), there is no way to change this parameter from the BIOS configuration because it is disabled by default at BIOS level.

Regards,

• 4. Re: Using Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) on NUC5i3MYBE/NUC5i5MYBE
                richard.heatley

Hello @Amy_Intel

Thank you again for your reply. So I understand that the setting CANNOT be changed:

- in the BIOS

- using Intel® Integrator Toolkit

- using Intel® Integrator Assistant GUIs

How do I change the setting??

Regards,

Richard

• 5. Re: Using Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) on NUC5i3MYBE/NUC5i5MYBE
                  Amy_Intel

There is no way to change this setting. This parameter is located in the BIOS and it cannot be changed.

• 6. Re: Using Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) on NUC5i3MYBE/NUC5i5MYBE
                    richard.heatley

@Amy_Intel - so there is no way to use an eDP screen at all?

It doesn't seem fair that Intel advertises these NUCs as having "2xMini DisplayPort 1.2 and 1xeDP (2-lane with backlight and adjustable voltage/timings)". Also, there are other pages in the TPS that detail how to change jumpers for backlight voltages, etc. What is the point of all that if an eDP screen isn't usable?!

• 7. Re: Using Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) on NUC5i3MYBE/NUC5i5MYBE
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Richard,

You can try customizing a BIOS using Intel Integrator Toolkit (ITK).

First download and install ITK onto a PC. Then, download the latest .BIO file and open this file in ITK. In the ITK menu, click on Tools then Options and then check (enable) the Enable callback category of protected settings parameter. Now, in the Settings window, you should be able to browse to Advanced -> Devices -> Video -> Basic Flat Panel Configuration and change the setting for IGD Flat Panel. To do so, click on the Don't Change entry in the Current column and then select eDP. You can also go into the Advanced Flat Panel Display Config section and make any necessary changes there.

When you are done, click on Save BIOS and then exit ITK. You can take this (now updated) .BIO file and install it form a flash disk using the F7 method. Say yes when it prompts you for permission to install parameter updates.

I hope this works. I am the former (now retired) expert on ITK and know how to handle these hidden and callback issues in BIOS setup parameters, but I have never played with eDPs at all...

...Scott

• 8. Re: Using Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) on NUC5i3MYBE/NUC5i5MYBE
                        richard.heatley

Hi N.Scott.Pearson

Thank you for that tip, it changes the settings exactly as you describe.

I have just received and tried a different screen and actually all the settings magically enable themselves on an unmodified BIOS. The "Basic Flat Panel Configuration" is now changeable and a new tab appears in the BIOS for all the other flat panel settings.

So it looks like all my confusion was really caused by a dodgy screen . These UEFI BIOSes are all a bit too clever! Our guess is it is communicating with the screen over the AUX channel or verifying termination on some of the eDP signals. Something in the first screen must be defective, the BIOS doesn't detect it and therefore none of the settings are enabled.

I still see different behaviour in Windows whether I use the working screen with an unmodified BIOS or the faulty one with Scott's suggested BIOS modification. This makes me think that just changing the BIOS isn't enough, the BIOS must detect the screen itself.

Thank you both for your help, sorry it was all really down to faulty hardware.

Regards,

Richard.

• 9. Re: Using Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) on NUC5i3MYBE/NUC5i5MYBE
                          N.Scott.Pearson

Yea, the state of certain parameters in the BIOS are set at runtime by callback procedures in the BIOS. These callback procedures may be reacting to the state of other parameter(s), the results of hardware discovery operation(s), etc. When you override the state using ITK, you disable the callback in favor of this state. This could have an affect on the initialization of the hardware...

...S

• 10. Re: Using Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) on NUC5i3MYBE/NUC5i5MYBE
                            jmp

Sorry for cannibalising your post but your problem seems to be solved.

What panel did you have success with?

I am experiencing similar problems, in that I suspect that my panel may be faulty. Whenever I plug in my eDP panel, the NUC turns off as soon as the HDD LED blinks for the first time. I am using a CLAA101FP07, which uses up to 700mA for the backlight and up to 600mA at 3.3V according to the datasheet. There is an inrush current defined to be <3A@3.3V. Could that be enough to trip the power supplies? I have tried a 12V/5.5A on the external plug as well as an ATX PSU on the internal Molex.

• 11. Re: Using Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) on NUC5i3MYBE/NUC5i5MYBE
                              richard.heatley

I am using a N156BGE-EB1 (from ebay for £30)

I found this link, listing two screens

Tested Peripherals for Intel® NUC Kits NUC5i3MY/NUC5i5MY

BOE14.0 HD color TFT-LCD eDP panelHB140WX1-301 (single lane)
                              CHIMEI15.6-inch TFT Liquid Crystal Display eDP panelN156BGE-EB1 (2 lane)

My eDP cables were from microsatacables (linked from Intel® NUC Cables Source)

I had mine booted into Windows where the screen did seem to flicker on an off when there was something connected to the mini-displayport as well. I haven't bothered debugging that yet (wrong BIOS settings for the screen?, etc.)