8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2016 1:42 PM by Intel_Alvarado

Arduino - CreateProcess: No such file or directory

jjg

Just installed Arduino for the Intel Edison and attempting to compile the default code results in the verbose error below:

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Intel® Edison"

C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\core2-32-poky-linux\1.6.2+1.0/pokysdk/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/i586-poky-linux-g++ -m32 -march=i586 --sysroot=C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\core2-32-poky-linux\1.6.2+1.0/core2-32-poky-linux -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -D__ARDUINO_X86__ -march=i686 -m32 -DARDUINO=10605 -IC:\Users\Fred\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\i686\1.6.2+1.0\cores\arduino -IC:\Users\Fred\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\i686\1.6.2+1.0\variants\edison_fab_c C:\Temp\build4078707784857145961.tmp\sketch_feb03a.cpp -o C:\Temp\build4078707784857145961.tmp\sketch_feb03a.cpp.o

i586-poky-linux-g++: error: CreateProcess: No such file or directory

Error compiling.

I have searched these forums and others but the potential solutions seem not to apply (no spaces in the paths, no odd EXEC env vars, etc.) All the files/directories referenced exist. When I move them all to shorten the paths and execute from the command line I get the same error. I have uninstalled and re-installed a couple times.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Arduino - CreateProcess: No such file or directory
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi jjg,

Did you follow IoT - Installing the Arduino* IDE | Intel® Developer Zone the first time you installed the Arduino IDE? If you followed all steps you can also try to remove the Edison from the board manager and install it again. Another option is install the Arduino IDE directly in C:\

Try again to compile a sketch and let us know your results.

Sergio

• 2. Re: Arduino - CreateProcess: No such file or directory
            jjg

Hi there Sergio - thanks for the response.

I had not installed Arduino using IoT - Installing the Arduino* IDE | Intel® Developer Zone, but rather the all in one installer provided for Edison at IoT - Intel® Edison Board Get Started Guide | Intel® Developer Zone. So I uninstalled and used the installer that you linkied to. It is version 1.6.7 rather than (IIRC) 1.6.5

I tried compiling the Blink example as before and got the error message shown below:

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Intel® Edison"

C:\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware "C:\Arduino\hardware" -hardware "C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages" -tools "C:\Arduino\tools-builder" -tools "C:\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr" -tools "C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages" -built-in-libraries "C:\Arduino\libraries" -libraries "C:\Users\Fred\Documents\Arduino\libraries" -fqbn=Intel:i686:izmir_ec -ide-version=10607 -build-path "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\build287b75373793f26e02765ea0d8afd8ef.tmp" -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose "C:\Arduino\examples\01.Basics\Blink\Blink.ino"

C:\Arduino\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware "C:\Arduino\hardware" -hardware "C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages" -tools "C:\Arduino\tools-builder" -tools "C:\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr" -tools "C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages" -built-in-libraries "C:\Arduino\libraries" -libraries "C:\Users\Fred\Documents\Arduino\libraries" -fqbn=Intel:i686:izmir_ec -ide-version=10607 -build-path "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\build287b75373793f26e02765ea0d8afd8ef.tmp" -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose "C:\Arduino\examples\01.Basics\Blink\Blink.ino"

Board Intel:i586:izmir_fd doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: I586_IZMIR_FD

Board Intel:i586:izmir_fg doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: I586_IZMIR_FG

Board Intel:i686:izmir_ec doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: I686_IZMIR_EC

WARNING: Category '' in library DallasTemperature is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'

WARNING: Category '' in library EEPROM is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'

WARNING: Category '' in library Ethernet is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'

WARNING: Category '' in library EthernetShield is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'

WARNING: Category '' in library OneWire is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'

WARNING: Category '' in library SD is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'

WARNING: Category '' in library SPI is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'

WARNING: Category '' in library Servo is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'

WARNING: Category '' in library SoftwareServo is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'

WARNING: Category '' in library TimerOne is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'

WARNING: Category '' in library USBHost is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'

WARNING: Category '' in library WiFi is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'

Build options changed, rebuilding all

Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino i686 Boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.

"C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\core2-32-poky-linux\1.6.2+1.0/pokysdk/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/i586-poky-linux-g++"  -m32 -march=i586 "--sysroot=C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\core2-32-poky-linux\1.6.2+1.0/core2-32-poky-linux" -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections  -D__ARDUINO_X86__ -w -x c++ -E -CC -DF_CPU=-m32 -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_I686_IZMIR_EC -DARDUINO_ARCH_I686         "-IC:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\i686\1.6.2+1.0\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\i686\1.6.2+1.0\variants\edison_fab_c" "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\build287b75373793f26e02765ea0d8afd8ef.tmp\sketch\Blink.ino.cpp" -o "nul"

"C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\core2-32-poky-linux\1.6.2+1.0/pokysdk/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/i586-poky-linux-g++"  -m32 -march=i586 "--sysroot=C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\core2-32-poky-linux\1.6.2+1.0/core2-32-poky-linux" -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections  -D__ARDUINO_X86__ -w -x c++ -E -CC -DF_CPU=-m32 -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_I686_IZMIR_EC -DARDUINO_ARCH_I686         "-IC:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\i686\1.6.2+1.0\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\i686\1.6.2+1.0\variants\edison_fab_c" "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\build287b75373793f26e02765ea0d8afd8ef.tmp\sketch\Blink.ino.cpp" -o "nul"

"C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\core2-32-poky-linux\1.6.2+1.0/pokysdk/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/i586-poky-linux-g++"  -m32 -march=i586 "--sysroot=C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\core2-32-poky-linux\1.6.2+1.0/core2-32-poky-linux" -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections  -D__ARDUINO_X86__ -w -x c++ -E -CC -DF_CPU=-m32 -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_I686_IZMIR_EC -DARDUINO_ARCH_I686         "-IC:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\i686\1.6.2+1.0\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\i686\1.6.2+1.0\variants\edison_fab_c" "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\build287b75373793f26e02765ea0d8afd8ef.tmp\sketch\Blink.ino.cpp" -o "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\build287b75373793f26e02765ea0d8afd8ef.tmp\preproc\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"

i586-poky-linux-g++: error: CreateProcess: No such file or directory

exit status 1

Error compiling.

Invalid library found in C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\i686\1.6.2+1.0\libraries\Wire: C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\i686\1.6.2+1.0\libraries\Wire

Invalid library found in C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\i686\1.6.2+1.0\libraries\Wire: C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\i686\1.6.2+1.0\libraries\Wire

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

More data than the first time around, but just as much info (for me anyway). I hope that your deeper knowledge sheds some light.

When I used the other development options that the Intel all-in-one installer installed I was able to run the Blink examples, so I know that the board is up to speed and the connections are good.

Jonathan

• 3. Re: Arduino - CreateProcess: No such file or directory
              Intel_Alvarado

Based on the “”error compiling, invalid library error” it seems like there is an error with the libraries the IDE is using. Maybe you installed more than one Arduino IDE and the libraries of each conflict based on where you installed them. I’d make sure to uninstall all the Arduino IDEs that may be installed in your computer. Double check everything is properly erased. Then, I’d download the IDE from Arduino - Software . I haven’t tried version 1.6.7 in a Windows 8.1 so I’d download version 1.6.5 or 1.6.0 and follow IoT - Installing the Arduino* IDE | Intel® Developer Zone . When you’re asked where to install make sure there are no spaces in the path name. Select a proper place for installation and try again. Make sure you select the correct board in the Board manager and make sure the installation is successful. Also make sure you are selecting the correct board and port in the drop down menu under Tools. Try the blink example again and let me know your results.

I found this link that might be of interest Re: Error while compiling

Sergio

• 4. Re: Arduino - CreateProcess: No such file or directory
                jjg

Sergio:

So I followed your advice: uninstalled the Arduino IDE and downloaded an earlier version of the Arduino IDE (v1.6.5). I opened the Blink example and the compiler now completes as expected, however the Uploading hangs about 90% of the way through the progress bar. The verbose listing is:

Args to shell: C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.2+1.0/x86/bin C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\build624202022580656932.tmp/Blink.cpp.elf COM3

# clupload script to invoke lsz

# Copyright (C) 2014 Intel Corporation

COM PORT 3

#

Converted COM Port COM3 to tty port /dev/ttyS2

# This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or

Sending Command String to move to download if not already in download mode

# modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public

# License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either

# version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

#

# This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of

# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU

# Lesser General Public License for more details.

#

# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public

# License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software

# Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301  USA

#

echo "starting download script"

echo "Args to shell:" $*

# ARG 1: Path to lsz executable.

# ARG 2: Elf File to download

# ARG 3: COM port to use.

#path contains \ need to change all to /

path_to_exe=$1

fixed_path=${path_to_exe//\\/\/}

#COM ports are not always setup to be addressed via COM for redirect.

#/dev/ttySx are present. Howwever, COMy -> /dev/ttySx where x = y - 1

com_port_arg=$3

com_port_id=${com_port_arg/COM/}

echo "COM PORT" $com_port_id

tty_port_id=/dev/ttyS$((com_port_id-1))

echo "Converted COM Port" $com_port_arg "to tty port" $tty_port_id

echo "Sending Command String to move to download if not already in download mode"

echo "~sketch downloadEdison" > $tty_port_id

Deleting existing sketch on target

#Move the existing sketch on target.

echo "Deleting existing sketch on target"

"$fixed_path/lsz.exe" --escape -c "mv -f /sketch/sketch.elf /sketch/sketch.elf.old" <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

There are only two COM ports in use on this machine COM6 dedicated to the Edison USB drive (Edison Virtual COM Port), and COM3 to the Edison Serial Port. The Board selection from the Tools menu is set to Intel Edison (I had to download that setup separately from with the Arduino Boards Manager).

So some progress, but still unsuccessful.

I can access the board via putty as expected, and via wifi, and via the USB drive interface. Any other steps I should take? Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

• 5. Re: Arduino - CreateProcess: No such file or directory
                  Intel_Alvarado

There are several other users in the community who’ve had this issue and have given suggestion on how to troubleshoot. Some options would be to:

• -Try and re-flash your board to the latest image. To re-flash you can use the flash tool lite IoT - Intel® Edison Board Download | Intel® Developer Zone
                  • -Access the Linux terminal and delete the files in the /sketch folder
                  • -Make sure you’re selecting the correct board and port in the Arduino IDE.
                  • -Make sure the board is receiving enough power and switch SW1 towards the J16 micro USB ports.

Sergio

• 6. Re: Arduino - CreateProcess: No such file or directory
                    Intel_Alvarado

Have you made any progress with this thread? Have you tested the suggestions we posted?

Sergio

• 7. Re: Arduino - CreateProcess: No such file or directory
                      jjg

Sergio:

I followed your suggestion to re-flash the board, but when that failed I lost interest and moved the project to a Raspberry Pi that I had lying around. The project is now complete and I probably spent more time on trying to get the Edison to work with Arduino than on the project code itself.

In case you have any further interest the flash fail message is:

02/23/16 13:05:24.064 INFO : Intel(R) Phone Flash Tool Lite V 5.2.4.0 x86 (build on Monday April 27th 2015, 16:29:59 UTC)

02/23/16 13:05:24.064 INFO : Using xFSTK Downloader version: 1.8.0

02/23/16 13:05:24.111 INFO : Using DFU Downloader version: 0.8-msvc

02/23/16 13:05:24.142 INFO : Using Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.32

02/23/16 13:05:24.142 INFO : OS version detected: Windows 8.1 (x64)

02/23/16 13:05:25.173 INFO : SSL supported: Yes

02/23/16 13:05:25.220 INFO : Disk space available on drive C:/ : 725.11 GB

02/23/16 13:05:25.282 INFO : Adb and fastboot binaries OK

02/23/16 13:05:25.423 INFO : Phone Flash Tool Lite initialized successfully

02/23/16 13:05:31.384 INFO : Ready to flash!

02/23/16 13:05:31.384 INFO : Flash file C:\Users\Fred\Downloads\edison-iotdk-image-280915\FlashEdison.json [RNDIS] loaded

02/23/16 13:05:40.596 INFO : [Port -1] Starting flash ...

02/23/16 13:05:40.596 INFO : [Port -1] Running `Notify 'C:\Users\Fred\Downloads\edison-iotdk-image-280915\helper\helper.html'` command

02/23/16 13:05:40.876 INFO : Displaying 'file:///C:/Users/Fred/Downloads/edison-iotdk-image-280915/helper/helper.html' during 42000 ms

02/23/16 13:05:40.877 INFO : [Port -1] Command `Notify 'C:\Users\Fred\Downloads\edison-iotdk-image-280915\helper\helper.html'` succeed

02/23/16 13:05:40.877 INFO : [Port -1] Running `Wait for device with status dnx_fw on port -1` command

02/23/16 13:06:22.877 ERROR : [Port -1] Command `Wait for device with status dnx_fw on port -1` failed

02/23/16 13:06:22.877 ERROR : [Port -1] Flash failed (Command type: Device enumeration)

EdisonFlashImage.png

This info pops up briefly and then the "Connected on port 2/5" changes to "Disconnected" and the flash fails.

If you have any suggestions let me know as i have some time available.

Thanks.

Jonathan

• 8. Re: Arduino - CreateProcess: No such file or directory
                        Intel_Alvarado

At what percentage did the flashing process fail? When following this guide make sure to:

• Start the process not having the Edison connected.
                        • Select the .json file from the unzipped file of the latest image.
                        • Choose RNDIS for Windows.
                        • Plug J16 after the FTL tells you to connect.

Another option to reflash is using the flashall script. You can see instructions to do this here How to Run the Flashall Script

Sergio