Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered Intel HD Graphics 4400 Windows 10

WSter
Novice

I have an Acer Aspire E5-571 with intel core i5-4210U @ 1.70GHz with Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 with 8GB DDR3L RAM upgrade, a Samsung 850 evo 500GB SSD upgrade, windows 10, and might I add that I upgraded to windows 10 when I got my SSD and did a total clean install, so none of the manufacturer junk present. Whenever I launch a game or whenever a call is started in Skype this "Display driver stopped responding..."pops up and the program quits responding and I have to restart the program. I have yet to be able to call on Skype and have yet to play any of the games I have gotten. I have updated it to the newest drivers that it suggests, what the websites suggest, what the manufacturer suggest, and what several driver finding software suggest, and I still get the same message. I am currently running Driver Version: 20.19.15.4300 Driver Date: 10/1/2015. I also changed the TdrDelay time to 10 to try to let the program have enough time to load. I even reset and moved my RAM to different slots which was a suggestion that I found in my reading through some other forums and watching some videos. I also found that some people fixed the problem by disabling there Antivirus software, which I also tried, and also did not work. This problem has only started happening since I upgraded to windows 10, so I have a feeling that that has something to do with it. (Also my computer just recognizes my graphics as Intel(R) HD Graphics Family instead of Intel HD Graphics 4400, is it supposed to be recognized as that? how do I fix that?) Please help! I think it is a driver so if you can point me in the direction of the one I need to fix it or have Intel start on the fix that would be great, or if you have an answer that I am missing that I need to fix that would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

34 Replies
glussier
New Contributor I

I had the same problem with the same processor as you have. My problem was fixed with intel drivers 20.19.15.4326.

0 Kudos
WSter
Novice

I installed it and it still is showing that message and crashing my game. Did you do it with windows 10?

0 Kudos
glussier
New Contributor I

Yes, I did it with windows 10 64 bits. I uninstalled the 3000 driver and installed the new driver from device manager. Then, I restarted my laptop and all was fine.

0 Kudos
WSter
Novice

Ok, so all I did was install it. How did you uninstall the old one and then install the new one?

0 Kudos
glussier
New Contributor I

Go in Device manager (Right click on the windows icon on the taskbar), go in device manager, right click on the graphic card and uninstall, then install the new driver.

0 Kudos
glussier
New Contributor I

What game are you trying to play?

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, ngensquirrel:

I would like you to check the following website and test the system with the VGA driver from there.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers Download Drivers and Manuals | Acer Official Site

You just need to type Aspire E5-571 and select Windows 10*

VGA

Intel

VGA Driver (Broadwell)

165.5 MB

2015/08/18

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
WSter
Novice

Should I check the box that says "Delete the driver software for this device"? I am trying to play World of Tanks.

0 Kudos
WSter
Novice

I tried that long time ago, that is not the answer at all, that driver works worse then some of the other ones.

0 Kudos
glussier
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
WSter
Novice

Installing that driver did not fix it for me, It still gives me that message, and then 5 minutes after the restart it automatically installs the old drivers again.

0 Kudos
glussier
New Contributor I

I don't have that problem. Are you on Windows 10 1511 10586.71?

0 Kudos
WSter
Novice

Yep. I am running Windows 10 1511 10586.71.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, ngensquirrel:

Have you reported this issue to Acer support?

You could also test your system with the generic drivers from Intel®, please do remember that no special features or settings added by the OEM would be available while using them.

This is the driver for Intel® HD Graphics 4400 for Windows 10* 64-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25489/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

or 32-bit version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25541/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

Another option would be to use the default drivers from Windows 10*, to get them, you just need to uninstall the current driver and let Windows 10* install the default after rebooting your system.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
CBrya2
Beginner

You can try to http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-drivers/how-to-download-install-display-card-drivers-with-drivethelife.html update drivers for graphics card in Windows. I updated drivers for my laptop, this problems disappeared.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, cyrilbrian90:

Thank you for sharing your experience with this situation.

For sure, it will be helpful for other users having the issue.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
JSwif2
Beginner

Uninstall the previous driver and install another version driver to have a try. In most cases, this issue is due to the outdated or corrupted driver, but some are caused by the Windows bugs. I got the same problem three months ago. I searched the solutions online and finally I used http://goo.gl/dfy2yz Driver Talent to fix the broken driver. The error was resolved. You may have a try.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, He_Smile:

Thank you for the feedback provided about this.

This could be happening because of different reasons or sources.

Please do test/check:

-Different drivers

-See if the problem follows an specific software/program with certain uses of the software/program.

-How can you replicate the issue?

-What drivers have the issue?

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, All:

I was this thread and I was wondering if have any update on this issue?

I look forward to your reply on this.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi All,

I am following the case. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos