9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2016 11:25 AM by Intel Corporation

Intel Compute Stick won't boot to OS

Idene

I've got an Intel Compute Stick and from what I can tell, it's wiped itself and removed the OS.

I've tried to re-install using a powered USB hub and a prepared USB stick with windows on it but that didn't work. I've tried to reset it, plugged it into various different power supplies etc but nothing is getting  the device to boot to an OS.

I can access the BIOS but only after I repeatedly mash the F2 key for around 20 seconds. When I select Boot Devices option (F10) I see nothing.

What's the best way to contact Intel to get it sent off for investigation?

• 1. Re: Intel Compute Stick won't boot to OS
          EstebanC_Intel

Hello, Idene:

I would like to know, what happens if you press F8 to access the Windows recovery options?

With this option you are able to restore from a backup image of Windows.

You could also perform a BIOS recovery to the current version, here you can find some instructions for this: Intel® Compute Stick BIOS Recovery Instructions

If you are not able to do this, please inform Intel Customer Support about this to get further assistance on your issue.

Contact Support

Please do make sure you select the correct region.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 2. Re: Intel Compute Stick won't boot to OS
            Idene

Hi Esteban

When I press F8 nothing happens at all. After a while the compute stick comes up with an error saying "no bootable media detected".

I've already been in touch with support and they advised to try updating the BIOS which I did and nothing happened.

• 3. Re: Intel Compute Stick won't boot to OS
              EstebanC_Intel

Hello, Idene:

Ok, good to know you already contacted them, if the problem persists after performing the tests they requested you to follow, please let them know.

If you require any further information or support, feel free to contact the Intel® communities again.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 4. Re: Intel Compute Stick won't boot to OS
                Francois-G

I would like to make this an official memorandum to the senior executives in charge of the Intel Compute Stick as well the Microsoft executives in charge of Windows 10.

I am a 22-year IT expert with 7 World's Firsts in Enterprise Technology, winner of multiple national and international awards, one of the TOP 30 emerging CEOs in tech in Canada.

For Intel:

You have marketed a piece of equipment which fundamentally is an excellent concept yet a completely failed delivery.

Not only is the device slow for most applications, it is a CRITICAL failure completely unable to operate properly and an absolute failure in terms of compatibility with Windows 10.

As you have already indicated here, not only your staff claimed a warranty obliteration when upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 (a publicly-released matter now corrected...) but you also let your customers without a working device AS SOON AS anyone opens a browser and is asked to upgrade to Windows 10.

After reviewing dozens of messages on your board and spending 48 hours on this issue, I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to actually upgrade this brand new device to Windows 10 successfully AND to also reboot and re-launch a recovery to Windows 8.1 as the installation of the new OS destroyed that capability.

How in the World can Intel release such a thing ?  And how in the World can Microsoft ignore (once again) a crucial component of upgrading on such a device and obliterating the Windows 8.1 files which should be protected in the first place.

I have at my disposal an extremely large number of components, various devices, etc... I owned an extremely large datacenter and pretty much have everything one could dream of in terms of IT hardware at the enterprise-class level.  NONE of these gears worked.  NONE of the newest absolute latest keyboards or mice for instance (as well as older ones) could stay active in Windows 10 for more than 30 seconds once you would spent 12 hours trying to upgrade and doing an incredibly large amounts of reboots to eventually get to a Windows 10.

I was considering this device to actually talk to Intel Ventures for a leading-edge development and I am completely speechless at this time (believe it or not) in terms of my trust in both Intel and Microsoft after seeing what both of you have been able to produce with the Compute Stick.

This is an absolute shame from both of your corporations and I seriously hope customers finally take notice.

And by the way, your barely advertised Upgrade Instructions here Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC — Windows® 10 Upgrade Instructions actually do not open properly on Chrome running OSX.

So even on a Mac, you are not still not able to give access to proper customer service.

Absolutely amazing !!!

Last but not least.... I know personally a lot of execs at Microsoft....... but who in the World wrote and approved these idiotic lame messages in the Windows installation routine ?

Do you actually think that these are going to help in these endless and painfully-slow reboots and install procedures....???

Using Microsoft products since DOS, this is to date the worst installation I have experienced.... and I have done several hundreds of them in all of your operating systems.

Are you truly taking people for absolute idiots ???

Cheers.

Francois.

• 5. Re: Intel Compute Stick won't boot to OS
                  RyBen

Hi All,

I have the same issue w/ my Intel Compute Stick (stck1a32wfc). I accidentally pressed the safe boot when i was in the recovery screen i guess, after that i cannot see anything on my screen even after i force shutdown my device several times. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

• 6. Re: Intel Compute Stick won't boot to OS
                    rguevara

Hello Idene and Francois-G,

I am really sorry to hear that you are having trouble with one of our products and let me tell you that we take your comments very seriously.

I work for Intel Customer Support and I already sent your feedback down to the product owners for future consideration, in the meantime and since you have already tried our recommendations here Windows® 10 Update Instructions for Intel® Compute Stick I would recommend that you contact us directly, you can find the contact information here: Contact Support.

Again, I can understand your frustration with us and with our product and I apologize for that. Please give us a call and make reference to issue 01551756.

Regards,

Ronny G

• 7. Re: Intel Compute Stick won't boot to OS
                      roverny

"And by the way, your barely advertised Upgrade Instructions here Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC — Windows® 10 Upgrade Instructions actually do not open properly on Chrome running OSX."

Works fine for me on my mac with Chrome.

• 8. Re: Intel Compute Stick won't boot to OS
                        rguevara

I just got confirmation from Idene that this issue was resolved.

Thanks for letting me know.

In regards to make Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC — Windows® 10 Upgrade Instructions more visible, yes you are correct, this information was not really advertised and should have been set as a feature content on the community, I appreciate this feedback.

I run Chrome on Windows and it works just fine, I will report the issue when running OSX.

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 9. Re: Intel Compute Stick won't boot to OS
                          Intel Corporation
                          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello, All:

I would like to check if you have additional inquiries for this matter?

Please let me know.

Regards,
                          Esteban C