13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2016 8:39 AM by ivanu_intel

Intel HD 4600 graphical artifacts in windows desktop but not in games

KennyC

I am using a clevo based laptop (similar to Sager) running an Intel i7-4710MQ 2.5Ghz - 3.5Ghz Turbo Processor and a nVidia GTX970 GPU and running windows 8.1 64bit OS.

Laptop was running fine last week and I was playing games for about an hour or so. When I quit the game, I was greeted by artifacts in the windows desktop. I restarted my game again and I didn't see any artifacts in the game at all. I believe the issue has got something to do with the integrated Intel HD4600 GPU, since no artifacts are present in the game, which uses the nVidia GPU. Rebooting the laptop didn't help, nor did shutting down the laptop and trying it again the next day.

Uninstalling the HD 4600 drivers or disabling the device removes the artifacts, but any games i run will not utilize the nVidia GPU. I've tried all the other driver versions and I'm still getting the artifacts.

As a last resort, I performed the update to windows 10 and I'm still getting the same problem. I'm on driver version 20.19.15.4331

Is this a hardware or a software issue?