1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2016 11:53 PM by t_amtoft

Intel Compute Stick (BOXSTCK1A32WFC) : trouble after win10 installation

matthieu_35

hello,

meeting troubles during upgrade of win 8.1 to win 10 on my intel compute stick in an old bios version, i updated bios in v0031 and upgraded sucessfully to win10 until reaching the desktop. It works 5-10 seconds properly until the mouse pointer turn and remains in waiting state. no actions are possible. I need to shutdown.

Any solutions to fix this ?

regards,

Matthieu GIRARD

• 1. Re: Intel Compute Stick (BOXSTCK1A32WFC) : trouble after win10 installation
          ivanu_intel

Hello matthieu_35,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Please try the following:

Update the Intel® Compute Stick BIOS; please download the latest BIOS version for this unit at:

Download BIOS Update [FCBYT10H.86A]

In this case I recommend doing a BIOS recovery and you can follow the steps at the following link:

Intel® Compute Stick BIOS Recovery Instructions

After that is done reset the system to factory defaults:

1. Remove any SD card, if installed.
          2. Press F8 when you see this prompt during boot: F8 to Activate Windows 8.1* Recovery Mode.
          3. Select Troubleshoot.
          4. Select Reset your PC, then select Next.
          5. Select just remove my files.
          6. Select Reset to start the restore process.

If these troubleshooting work for you try upgrading to Windows 10 again, please follow the steps to upgrade to Windows 10 at:

Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC — Windows® 10 Upgrade Instructions

I hope this can help you solve your problem.

Best regards,

Ivan

• 2. Re: Intel Compute Stick (BOXSTCK1A32WFC) : trouble after win10 installation
            t_amtoft

Hi All

I had all the same problems with my new Intel Compute Stick and tried all of the good proposals in here, thanks for posting all of you !

I finally had success with it all, with a totally broken ICS by the following process:

First I updated the BIOS to FC0031.BIO from Intel support home page by booting with F7

I disable Wireless Adapter, SD Card, and Bluetooth in BIOS, before save and exit F10

I downloaded a RTM of 10240 from Microsoft update homepage, search 10240.16384.150709-1700.TH1_CLIENTCORE_RET_X86FRE_DE-DE which is a German version, however I understand some German so I managed to use this Retailer OEM image (Actually a ESD file, but I created a good ISO file with the 'release_ESD-Toolkit', running the ESDDecrypter.bat which can also be downloaded. I used the rufus-2.6.exe to create a USB GPT image of 10240.16384.150709-1700.TH1_CLIENTCORE_RET_X86FRE_DE-DE.iso

(PS. Did the same with Windows 8.1 with Bing (image downloaded from Internet) also with success, but not the topic here)

Then plugged up my ICS with a USB 4 port hub with external power supply, important. Inserted a wireless keyboard and the USB GPT image and booted through F10 and no SD card inserted

Windows setup stated and I skipped the windows product key input, I made a format of the SSD HD in ICS partition of 28 GByte clean installation and it all installed fairly quickly (1-2 hours) without stop of copy of files and all other strange things that shows up with the normal Windows ISO from latest releases.

Wupti I ended up with a Windows 10 10240 release with OEM key installed and windows activated automatically.

After this I restarted the BIOS with the Wireless, SD and Bluetooth enabled

I updated the drivers as below from USD stick in following order:

SOC_BYT_Win10_32

Wireless_Win10_32_3008.11.0515.2015

GFX_Win7_8.1_10_32_15.33.41.4338

BT_Win10_32_1.0.98.50629.L

Following a few restarts of ICS, drivers were latest and greatest and with internet access, I changed language to English(US) through adding language in windows.

Then I updated Windows 10 from the windows/settings/Windows Update normal update function EXCEPT the TH2 1511 build 10586.71, so ICS had latest updates done except November TH2 build

I unchecked (disabled) the Cache Writing  for the Kingston SSD HD in the Device Manager

Updated the Windows 10240 build to the 10586 build downloaded by Windows Update directly without problems and now, I am running Windows 10 Home 1511 10586.71, but with the Cache writing disabled, which seems to make no much change of performance, so until I hear that the cache issues is resolved in here I will leave this disabled.

Running now the TH2 from clean installation ! Btw. the Intel Trusted Execution Engine is 01.01.01.1120, which I have seen some people think is the problem, I can say mine is working fine in this version.

I hope you can use my information for a succesful clean recovery..

• 3. Re: Intel Compute Stick (BOXSTCK1A32WFC) : trouble after win10 installation
              romainb

Hello,

I have the same problem with my compute stick BOXSTCK1A32WFC.

I bought it january 17, windows 8.1 working properly.

I started windows update for upgrade to windows 10.

Now compute stick starts and windows 10 appears but it freeze in 5/10 seconds... I can't do anything with keyboard or mouse...

I did a BIOS recovery following these instructions Intel® Compute Stick BIOS Recovery Instructions

It's a success :

IMG_20160207_162236238.jpg

IMG_20160207_162251060.jpg

IMG_20160207_162305710.jpg

I restart my compute stick but when I press F8, I have this message :

IMG_20160207_162946175.jpg

If I press ENTER or F8, nothing is happening.

If I press ESC, the BIOS starts.

What could I do??

Thanks for your answer and sorry for my english !

Romain B

• 4. Re: Intel Compute Stick (BOXSTCK1A32WFC) : trouble after win10 installation
                t_amtoft

Hi Romain B,

Sounds and looks exactly like my problems when firstly updating from 8.1 to 10...

Please follow my guide above and you will have it all solved.

Br,

• 5. Re: Intel Compute Stick (BOXSTCK1A32WFC) : trouble after win10 installation
                  romainb

Hi t_amtoft

I don't see your post before posting !

Thanks for your informations.

I'd try as soon as I could and I'll tell you if it works.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Intel Compute Stick (BOXSTCK1A32WFC) : trouble after win10 installation
                    ivanu_intel

Thank you all for the information posted on this thread is very much appreciated and romainb try what t_amtoft did and I will appreciate if you could let us know the result.

Best wishes,

Ivan

• 7. Re: Intel Compute Stick (BOXSTCK1A32WFC) : trouble after win10 installation
                      matthieu_35

Hi everybody,

t_amloft, Thanks for your explanations ! The result is here, it works !! I have now a functionally windows 10 with 10240 installed with the latest drivers. I just precise that iso creation does'nt work for me with "release_ESD-Toolkit". I have used "esd-decrypter-wimlib" and it works fine (need 6.7 version for 10240 windows 10 build). Can you just explain why the cache disabling and how do you install the TH2 version (probably with the windows update website way by installing a bootable iso windows 10 key with help of the creation tool ?)?

regards,

Matthieu

• 8. Re: Intel Compute Stick (BOXSTCK1A32WFC) : trouble after win10 installation
                        t_amtoft

Hi Matthieu,

Glad to be of service..

I used the ESDDecrypter.bat in release_ESD-Toolkit",  which worked fine for me, even following the steps in the BAT functions had to be done carefully, but other ways to do the decryption is fine also and you managed.

For the Windows Update follow:

Windows - Settings - Update & Security - Windows Update and install all latest updates except the TH2 1511 build 10586.71

The computer will restart while doing Windows Update, as always.

Actually if you disable Cache and do the TH2 Update, the process will run correctly, as first time it asked you to do the Update, where it failed, but this time it will go fine, I am pretty sure, as mine did.

On Cache: I think Intel has a driver problem with the Kingston SSD HD, where the interrupt priorities are wrong, so the driver will corrupt the Cache writing and thus stall the copy and HD writing flow during installation. Something in Windows 10 10240.16384 compared to Win 10586.71 has changed from Microsoft, which has not been taken into consideration in the Intel Driver update for the Kingston SSD HD - But this is only my limited idea, as I am not having insight in the Intel Driver software.

Br, Torben

• 9. Re: Intel Compute Stick (BOXSTCK1A32WFC) : trouble after win10 installation
                          ivanu_intel

Please follow the Windows® 10 Threshold 2 Update Guide for Intel® Compute Stick...

During the Windows® 10 update to version 1511 (OS Build 10586), the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 adapter may not be detected or may become disabled. Please see at the following link how to solve this problem:

Re-Enable Wireless After Updating to Windows® 10 Threshold 2

• 10. Re: Intel Compute Stick (BOXSTCK1A32WFC) : trouble after win10 installation
                            Richard_Howlett

I.ve got as far as installing W10 10240 from a USB using the ESD file from Microsoft (Windows 10 ESD Download Links) using ESD-Decrypter 6.0 to create the iso file and also to make the bootable USB.  From there how do you install the up-to-date drivers?  Also I've tried running the latest version of W10 from Microsoft using the media Creation for a clean install tool with and without SD drive, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi enabled but it still hangs at 9%  (I've had it hang at 0%, 8%, 9% and 69%)..  I've had a Compute Stick since November and I'm on my third one.  I've not had a minutes use/pleasure out of it yet 8-(  Thankfully from your post I've got an older version of W10 running anyway!  8-)

• 11. Re: Intel Compute Stick (BOXSTCK1A32WFC) : trouble after win10 installation
                              t_amtoft

Hi Richard,

You must read very careful the instructions I made above and follow in detail:

Basic thing is:

Use W10 10240 (from ISO 32 bit)

Update drivers (Win 10 version 32 bit) in the order I stated, restart stick as requested (drivers you find on Intel Stick support page)

Disable Cache writing for SSD after basic drivers are installed in device manager

Update all except Win 10 TH2 from windows Update, normal update function, restart Stick as requested

Update Win 10 to TH2 from normal Windows Update method and it should not stall

Hope this helps, mine is running perfectly now.

Br, Torben

• 12. Re: Intel Compute Stick (BOXSTCK1A32WFC) : trouble after win10 installation
                                ivanu_intel

I’m glad that your unit is working fine and thank you for letting us know about it.

Best wishes,

Ivan

• 13. Re: Intel Compute Stick (BOXSTCK1A32WFC) : trouble after win10 installation
                                  Richard_Howlett

Success at last! 8-)  I've finally got W10 10586 installed and working. following your instructions.  Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Richard

• 14. Re: Intel Compute Stick (BOXSTCK1A32WFC) : trouble after win10 installation
                                    ivanu_intel

Thank you for letting us know that what t_amtoft suggested worked for you, it is very much appreciated

1 2 Previous Next