3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2016 8:52 AM by Amy_Intel

Sata port capabilities on NUC6i5SYH

JulianFP

I now want a very portable device for my next desktop PC and I'm seriously considering a NUC6i5SYH. I currently run my PC with a fast SSD for the C: system drive and a pair of extra SSDs running as a mirrored data drive using Miscosoft Window's storage spaces and EFS to give my first level of resiliency for my data (I have lots of backups running as well so certainly do not rely solely on disk mirroring to protect my data). Ideally I would like to have the same setup on a NUC, i.e. a single fast physical C drive plus two other physical drives for my mirrored data. The C drive is easy, use the M2 slot, but the mirrored D drive is harder.

What I am toying with is to use a dual mSata enclosure such as this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ITJ7WDC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl) and set it to JBOD so that Windows can see it as two separate drives to be added to a Storage Space. The problem is that the Sata port needs to support port multiplier capability in order for it to be able to individually address the two drives hanging off the single Sata port hence my question... Does the Sata port on the NUC6i5SYH support Sata port multiplier capability? (I'll be running Windows 10 Professional if that makes a difference.)

- Julian

• 1. Re: Sata port capabilities on NUC6i5SYH
          Amy_Intel

Hello, JulianFP:

None of the Intel chipsets have capability to support SATA port multipliers, I have even checked with the engineering department and confirmed that Intel does not support SATA port multiplier.

Regards,

• 2. Re: Sata port capabilities on NUC6i5SYH
            JulianFP

Thank you very much for the reply Amy. It's not the answer that I wanted but getting no answer or some uninformed guess in not helpful so your time in getting me such a prompt and definitive answer is much appreciated.

Looks like I need a plan B but don't worry, that will certainly still be based on Intel technology. I have a few backup plans - wait for mini-SPX/5x5 stuff to roll out, wait and see what Skull Canyon might bring, or go for a mini-ITX or possibly thin-ITX build. At least now I know that an existing NUC can't support the drive configuration that I want which, in all fairness, is a pretty unusual requirement so no big surprise that it isn't supported.

- Julian

• 3. Re: Sata port capabilities on NUC6i5SYH
              Amy_Intel

Sure, you are welcome.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,