Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

IntelHD 520 vs NVIDIA 940M benchmark question (Asus UX303UB)

OWest
Beginner

I recently bought a Asus Zenbook UX303UB with a skylake 520 and a dedicated NVIDIA 940M GPUs.

If I run Cinebench R15 I get a fps at 40.59 with the 520 and 33.88 fps with the NVIDIA 940M.

In 3DMARK Cloud Gate I get 37.70 fps with the 520 and 31.83 fps with the NVIDIA 940M.

As far as I can see the 520 runs OpenGL 4.4 and the 940M runs OpenGL 4.5.

The IntelHD out performs the NVIDIA card in OpenGL applications but not in DirectX applications like CS:GO (CounterStrike: Global Offensive) for example.

How come?

I attached images of the benchmarks, sorry for the quality.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, ikonane:

The performance of your device would depend on the whole system configuration, how it was designed and integrated in this case since it is a laptop.

Benchmarks provide with a performance "score" for the devices, since they are third party software, the support is limited.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
OWest
Beginner

Thanks for the answer.

So another way to put it is that the 520 "better" at OpenGL (at least in these benchmarks) even though the nvidia uses a later version?

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, ikonane:

The scores would depend on different factors, the software used, how the OEM integrated and set the device, temperatures, drivers, because of that , I would say the performance could be affected between the GPU and CPU.

You could also look for similar systems and benchmarking scores to have a better overview of this.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos