11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 6:02 PM by MikeMcCollister

Help! Black Screen of Death on Windows 10

MikeMcCollister

About 3 weeks ago I reinstall Windows 10 64-bit on my Dell Inspiron 14 5447 laptop. Things worked pretty well before I did that but I wanted a clean start. With the exception of the Realtek SD card reader driver, I used only drivers that were supplied by Windows update.

Well I found out that I was getting intermittent black screens of death after waking my computer from sleep. After much research I installed 9.5.21.1754 of the IEMI driver from Dell's support page for this laptop and it fixed the problem and life was good. At this point the Intel video driver was 10.18.15.4256.

Well a few days ago the video driver got updated to 20.19.15.4331 and I am getting black screens of death after a restart (but not a shutdown followed by a power on). After this black screen of death I have to hold the power button down for 10-15 seconds and have it reboot. The only way that I can consistently get it to start after doing a restart is to keep hitting a key on the keyboard. What is going on with this?

I've tried the Dell driver for this computer, 10.18.15.4278 with the same bad results.

This is a Haswell processor with Intel HD Graphics 4400.

Is there any fix for this?

Thanks,

Mike