Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

HD 530 / i7-6700K: 4k60p won't work at HDMI 2.0 on Windows

PNaum
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

I am not able to get my dual Monitor Setup to work properly.

The 1st Monitor is plugged into the DP1.2

The 2nd Monitor is plugged into the HDMI 2.0.

DP 1.2 is operating fine 4k60p

HDMI 2.0 is only working until 4k30p, everything above 30p will not be displayed at the 2nd LG Monitor.

I've used the following Drivers:

Windows OEM Intel Driver: No Success

Newest Intel HD Driver: No Success

Newest Gigabyte Intel HD Drive: No Success

The Megachips HDMI Firmware is up to date @ Version v1.42

HDMI UHD Deepcolor is activated on the HDMI LG Monitor, otherwise the Intel Drive won't Show 4k60p

I've testet also on a Ubuntu 15.10 Live Disk.

Both Monitors are working at 4k60p!

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

Everytime

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

It's selfmade build

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Only Intel HD 530 @ i7-6700K

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

2x LG 27MU67-B

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

64GB DDR4

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 7 EU

DP: Monitor included LG Cable

HDMI: Monitor included LG Cable

<p...
0 Kudos
44 Replies
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello Kalashnikoffer,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

According with the technical specifications operating system this unit support HDMI 2.0 with the following configuration:

An HDMI 2.0 support is possible using LS-Pcon converter chip connected to the DP port. The LS-Pcon supports 2 modes:

1. Level shifter for HDMI 1.4 resolutions.
  2. DP-HDMI 2.0 protocol converter for HDMI 2.0resolutions.

You can see it at the following link:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family Datasheet, Vol. 1

See page 37

You can get the resolution with the configuration mention above or using the HDMI 1.4 which is the recommended specially for 4k using this processor as you can see it at the following link:

http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz) Specifications

Best regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
PNaum
Beginner

Hello Ivan,

I am using the HDMI 2.0 Port on my Mainboard,which is 4k60p ready!

The HDMI2.0 is an DP-HDMI converter chip port.

It must be a driver issue because under Ubuntu it is working fine. Both Monitors are displaying 4k60p @ DP1.2 and HDMI2.0

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

There is a Beta driver that you can try from the Intel website; you can download it at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25749/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

Did you try using straight connection from HDMI to HDMI 1.4 instead of the 2.0 to isolate the issue? This will be just a test to see if you can make it work like that or not.

The driver you tried from Gigabyte is the one at the following link?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5481# dl http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5481# dl

If the driver from Intel website does not work try uninstalling the driver and reinstall the one from Gigabyte website and install all the drivers available from this Gigabyte website and update the BIOS.

In order to update the BIOS you will need to contact Gigabyte for instructions.

0 Kudos
PNaum
Beginner

I updated the Graphics Driver to the beta version you've posted above.

- No changes, it doesn't work.

I also tried the Gigabyte Graphics Driver and the newest BIOS.

- No changes, it doesn't work.

----------------------

The Monitors only have two HDMI2.0 Ports per Monitor. The Mainboard also have only one HDMI2.0 Port.

There are no HDMI1.4 Ports!

------------------------

I've found a little workaround!

Instructions:

1) Unplug all DP and HDMI Cables.

2) Connect the HDMI Cable to the HDMI2.0 Port of the Mainboard and to the Monitor

3) Set up the Resolution to 4k60p!! The HDMI2.0 connected Monitor shows now 4k60p!

4) Connect the DP Cable to the DP Port of the Mainboard and to the Monitor

5) Set up the Resolution to 4k60p! The DP connected Monitor shows also 4k60p!

6) Both Monitors running now at 4k60p! But the HDMI2.0 connected Monitor sometimes switch to a black screen for 1-3 seconds, then the image comes back.

7) You have to do this after every restart of Windows!

Do you have any Idea now?

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

At this point what I can suggest is to test different cable and make sure you have a high quality cable or try different monitor, I'm sorry I don't know what else I can suggest.

0 Kudos
HMaye
Beginner

There is a hardware setting in the Monitor where you can set "HDMI" und "DISPLAY PORT" Version.

"HDMI": 1.4 or 2.0

and

"DISPLAY PORT" 1.1 or 1.2

I changed from "DISPLAY PORT" to 1.2 and now I have 60 Hz.

What is your HDMI setting ?

The onscreen menu is called "Setup Menu" => "HDMI1 Format"

0 Kudos
DDAur
Beginner

I am seeing this same behavior.

I am using Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 7 US motherboard, i7-6700k cpu, however I am using a different monitor an Upstar M280A1 with HDMI 2.0 and DP.

Monitor runs without a problem at 4k60hz on DP 1.2.

Monitor running at 4k60hz on HDMI 2.0 connection but it flashes to black for several seconds and sometimes never returns.

Did you ever find a solution for this Kalishnikoffer?

0 Kudos
PNaum
Beginner

Nope, i run at 4kDP60hz and 4kHDMI30hz.

It must be a driver or firmware issue of the hdmi megachip.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Try the latest Beta driver, you can download it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?v=t Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

Also, I suggest checking with your monitor manufacturer to see if they have an http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005952.html INF file that you can install in your system.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
HMaye
Beginner

I have the same issue as Datruck and Kalashnikoffer

Monitor running at 4k60hz on HDMI 2.0 connection but it flashes to black for several seconds and sometimes never returns. Sometimes even windows starts and screen remains black. BIOS is displayed correct.

I use ASUS Z170 Deluxe on HDMI 2.0 intel driver win64_15.40.22.4424 and also tested win64_15.40.22.4444 (beta)

I went back to Windows 10 Intel driver 4377 for testing reasons to find out if screen still flashes to black.

I think this is a "power" issue. I see a much worse picture with driver 4377 on the screen with HDMI 2.0 connection. The displayed windows fonts on the desktop are not white, but have color artifacts.

I have no issue when using Display Port cable. The fonts are clear and have no color artifacts.

0 Kudos
HMaye
Beginner

I have uinstalled both intel driver win64_15.40.22.4424 and also win64_15.40.22.4444 (beta).

With original windows 10 driver # 4377 I have no more black flashes or issues that the screen remains black. Sometimes when windows starts the screen is greenish, but this goes away after login.

0 Kudos
DSeam
Beginner

Ivan,

I corresponded with Megachips (the chip that supports HDMI) and they have seen this issue, but claim it's an Intel driver issue.

"I chatted with our application engineering on this

topic. We've seen this problem reported with the newer monitors on the

market such as the LG 4K monitor. Unfortunately this problem can not be

solved by firmware update alone. We have requested Intel to update their

driver so this can be avoided altogether, but haven't received any commitment

from them. The workaround at the moment is to reduce the refresh rate to

30Hz. 4K30Hz should work fine with the LG 4K monitor."

Can Intel please take a look at this? Sounds like the ball is in your court.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

I posted above I suggestion to check with the monitor/TV manufacturer if there is a INF driver that you can install in your system.

A monitor driver supplies configuration information (an .INF file) used by the operating system to implement the plug and play (PnP) features of the monitor. This configuration information includes supported refresh rates, screen resolution, and color quality settings. The configuration file is also known as a monitor .INF file.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
DSeam
Beginner

Already tried that. Windows Device manager shows "LG Ultra HD (DisplayPort)" and "LG Ultra HD (HDMI)". I'm currently using a GTX 750 Ti, which is why I can get DP and HDMI working at the same time. It's broke with the 530HD driver. Megachips has confirmed this is a DRIVER problem.

0 Kudos
HMaye
Beginner
0 Kudos
OG1
Beginner

I am having the exact same problem with the same symptoms.

Core i7-6700K

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (BIOS and Megabios FW updated to latest versions)

2 LG 27UD68 monitors - one connected via HDMI and one via DisplayPort

Latest Intel Graphics drivers

DisplayPort one is doing 4k@60Hz and HDMI one is only going up to 4k@30Hz. Driving 4k@60Hz via HDMI results in no picture.

Note to folks from Intel who are trying to help: please stop giving general guidance (Such as use INF file) - there is a real problem here with Intel graphics driver and that needs to be communicated to the graphics driver development team.

Thanks,

Osho

0 Kudos
DSeam
Beginner

I tried to get creative and got a USB-C to displayport dongle from Amazon. I was hoping to then get two DP ports off the MB that would work and bypass the broken HDMI driver. While the dongle did pass a 4K 60Hz picture, the built-in DP port was disabled in the process. So I'm back to using my GTX 750 Ti to drive my monitors, and totally not using the crappy Intel graphics.

Intel REALLY needs to take ownership of this problem, and write up a ticket for the graphics driver team to SOLVE this issue. Intel has let this drag on for 6 months without even acknowledging that it is a driver issue. That's just TERRIBLE customer service. I'm sticking with NVidia for now, which is a shame as I don't like the extra power and noise. But at least their drivers work fine with the dual LGs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello:

To all the peers on this thread. I just wanted to let you all know that we are still doing some research and investigation on this case.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience since it is taking a long time for us to be able find a possible resolution for this kind of scenario, but we are still working on it.

As soon as I get the information, I will post all the details on this thread.

To Kalashnikoffer:

I just wanted to check if the information provided by all the peers on this thread was useful for you, and if you need further assistance?

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

MegaChips info:

With BOBCAT LSPCON CUT2.1 (i.e., DPCD Address 00509h = 21h)

Case 1: SKL can gen-lock audio samples transport to 4Kp60Hz video

SKL may enable up to 4Kp60Hz in RGB/YCbCr444

Case 2: SKL cannot gen-lock audio samples transport to 4p60Hz video

SKL shall keep the TMDS character rate to 340MHz or less so that HDMI2.0 scrambling may be disabled:

If a 4K display is capable of 4Kp60Hz in YCbCr420, SKL may choose to transmit 4Kp60Hz in YCbCr444 and have BOBCAT chroma down-sample to YCbCb420

Otherwise, SKL shall limit the 4K frame rate to 30Hz

With BOBCAT LSPCON CUT2.2 (i.e., DPCD Address 00509h = 22h)

SKL may enable up to 4Kp60Hz in RGB/YCbCr444
0 Kudos
DSeam
Beginner

Please translate this into English, and what it means for us and when Intel will solve the problem.

0 Kudos