1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2016 8:18 AM by eskimo68

z170 usb 3.0 transfer windows 10 slow and hangs

misterd

I have an Skylake i5-6600K system with Asus Z170 pro gaming motherboard with the latest bios v1105, but transfer speeds from SSD to usb 3.0 external devices are terrible slow and hangs under windows 10. All the external devices are usb 3.0 and works under windows 7 very good and the transfer speeds are normal.

Things I've done.

1. Windows 10 reinstalled (same issue)

2. Bios updated to latest version v1105 (same issue)

3. Windows 10 all drivers installed (same issue)

4. under windows 7 everything working fine transfer speeds are normal.

Why is usb 3.0 under windows 10 so terrible slow and hangs. Can i conclude that this is a driver issue in windows 10.

My hardware

Cpu Intel Skylake i5-6600k

Motherboard Asus Z170 pro gaming

GPU Asus Strix GTX970

Mem crucial ballistix 16GB kit

SSD Samsung SM951 nvme 250GB

SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

OS windows 10 dualboot with windows 7

USB 3.0  sharkoon quickport xt v2 docking station

External HDD usb 3.0 for backup

And some  usb 3.0 thumb drives

Het bericht is bewerkt door: Misterd I added a few screenshots.

• 1. Re: z170 usb 3.0 transfer windows 10 slow and hangs
          EstebanC_Intel

Hello, misterd:

Please make sure you have USB 3.0 enabled at BIOS level, this would achieved by having xHCI enabled in your BIOS.

Also check that you have the latest drivers for Chipset, USB and Management Engine if provide by your motherboard's manufacturer.

I would like you to check this article I found interesting related to USB 3.0; USB 3.0 speed: real and imagined | PCWorld

usb 3 - Windows 10 Slow USB 3.0 Disk Transfer (~30.0 MB/s) - Super User

Another recommendation would be to verify what are the speeds the USB 3.0 in your system can handle.

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 2. Re: z170 usb 3.0 transfer windows 10 slow and hangs
            misterd

Good evening, I have checked in the bios and the setting xhci is enabled. I hope that this will clarify and i have added some printscreens.

• 3. Re: z170 usb 3.0 transfer windows 10 slow and hangs
              EstebanC_Intel

Hello, misterd:

Thank you for your answer.

I would like to recommend you to perform the following steps:

Perform the steps mentioned below and see if it helps.

a: Press Windows key + X.

b: Then click Command Prompt(admin)

c: Type the following commands and press Enter (the second command on RSS is optional):

1. netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

2. Reboot computer.

This was found in this Microsoft website: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-large-file-transfer-speed-drop/ba6dd310-…

Regards,

Esteban C

• 4. Re: z170 usb 3.0 transfer windows 10 slow and hangs
                togbabe

I am having the same problem on the same hardware.  I have contacted Gigabyte and can get no intelligent answer from them.  After proving to them that the Intel extensible USB3 host controller drivers work flawlessly on the motherboard.  And then going on to explain that using exactly the same hardware and motherboard with Windows 10 installed but the Windows supplied extensible host controller only installed, the transfer speed does exactly what you describe.  Falls away and then hangs.  I can’t seem to get through to them.  I will attach the dialogue and you won’t believe it.  Asking me things like “can I send it back to the manufacturer for testing” and do I have a “genius version” of windows installed.  I think they mean “genuine.”  Anyway, I am simply getting nowhere with them.  And – quite frankly – don’t have the energy left to re-type the whole dialog with them.  They have fallen back on the old ‘technician’s loop hole’ that “nobody else is having the problem.”  Seriously.  That old gem.

Have you – by any chance been able to find a fix for this.  I have found a workaround which is less than satisfactory.  Basically, I installed a virtual box with Windows 7 installed on it.  Then I installed the INTEL extensible host controller drivers for Windows 7 onto that.  Whenever I want to use a USB3 device, I simply power up the Virtual box and connect the USB3 device to the virtual machine to transfer the files wherever I need them.  Clearly – as I tried very hard to explain to Gigabyte – since the host controller hardware in use is the same for both the host and the virtual machine, this can only be a ‘driver only issue.’

I have attached my dialogue with Gigabyte.  If you have five minutes to be astounded how unhelpful a technical support call can be, have a read

• 5. Re: z170 usb 3.0 transfer windows 10 slow and hangs
                  EstebanC_Intel

Hello, togbabe:

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue as well.

I would like to check if you reviewed and tested the link provided in my last answer, after further investigating into this, it seems like the behavior has been present since Windows 8.1*

Here you can find some troubleshooting related to idle states, power settings and registry changes that could assist you on this: Help! After installing Windows 8.1, my USB drive disappears or file transfers stop unexpectedly… | Microsoft Windows USB…

Also, some additional information/steps to be performed, I would like to get from your system:

-Upgrade the firmware from the USB 3.0 devices used

-Screenshot from device manager, of the USB host controllers on both Windows 7* and 10*

-What is the virtualization software that is currently being used?

-How was Windows 7* installed in your system? USB 3.0 wise, due to the fact drivers for 3.0 are not pre-installed in Windows 7* and some issues have been present so far related to USB 3.0 and this OS.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 6. Re: z170 usb 3.0 transfer windows 10 slow and hangs
                    togbabe

YOU WROTE: "Upgrade the firmware from the USB 3.0 devices used"

REPLY:

Done that, and all the latest drivers on their site as well.

YOU WROTE: "Screenshot from device manager, of the USB host controllers on both Windows 7* and 10*"

REPLY:

I will attach it.

YOU WROTE: "What is the virtualization software that is currently being used?"

REPLY:

I have tried passing the USB3 hardware through to 'Oracle Virtual Box' and VMWare.  As long as you have the INTEL extensible host controller driver installed, both work flawlessly; and at pretty good throughput speed even virtualized.  So the Intel drivers are 'on the money.'

YOU WROTE: "How was Windows 7* installed in your system?"

REPLY:

Not entirely sure what you mean here.  Just installed the normal way off of the DVD.

YOU WROTE: "USB 3.0 wise, due to the fact drivers for 3.0 are not pre-installed in Windows 7* and some issues have been present so far related to USB 3.0 and this OS"

REPLY: After installing Windows 7, you just download the INTEL drivers from Intel.  Install them, and they work like a treat.  I have not been able to find ANY issues with the Intel driver under Windows 7

Hi EstebanC_Intel.  Since it is clear that the Windows 10 native extensible host controller driver is rubbish, I am really hoping that Intel will be putting out their own Windows 10 driver?  This is what happened with Windows 7.  The Intel driver works perfectly.  Which is the reason I can run a virtual box and pass the hardware to it, and run the WINDOWS 7 INTEL drivers flawlessly.  Gigabyte tells me nobody else is having the problem.  Which - again - is rubbish.  I simple google search can find at least 3 mature forum threads on the issue.  I am sure I could find more with a more refined google search.  I have done all the firmware upgrades and made absolutely sure that EVERY SINGLE motherboard driver is the very latest on their site.  Will Intel be releasing their own drivers?

• 7. Re: z170 usb 3.0 transfer windows 10 slow and hangs
                      Intel Corporation
                      This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you for all the information provided.

Let me further investigate into this, I will be providing you with the results.

Regards,
                      Esteban C

• 8. Re: z170 usb 3.0 transfer windows 10 slow and hangs
                        togbabe

Anything more on this Esteban?

• 9. Re: z170 usb 3.0 transfer windows 10 slow and hangs
                          Intel Corporation

I am still checking this, sorry for the delay togbabe.

Will keep you updated on this matter.

Regards,
                          Esteban C

• 10. Re: z170 usb 3.0 transfer windows 10 slow and hangs
                            Robin_L

Hi, I have exyctly the same Problem with my Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 7 on all USB 3.0 Ports. The USB 2.0 Ports working fine.

• 11. Re: z170 usb 3.0 transfer windows 10 slow and hangs
                              Intel Corporation

Hey, All:

At this moment, this is not officially supported for Windows 10*

As of now, there is no information about Intel planning to release new drivers for this matter.

One thing you can try is to run the drivers with compatibility mode and see how it goes.

Here drivers to be used:
                              https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/65855/Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver

Please keep me posted if the tests are performed :)

Regards,
                              Esteban C

• 12. Re: z170 usb 3.0 transfer windows 10 slow and hangs
                                Robin_L

Hi Esteban,

the divers does not Install in Windows 7 compatibility Mode. Log is attached.

• 13. Re: z170 usb 3.0 transfer windows 10 slow and hangs
                                  Intel Corporation

Hey, Peers:

I just found this post from a third party website, I saw some positive answer for the "Best Solution" present in that thread.

My recommendation would be to give it a try and let us know how it goes.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2767691/intel-usb-driver-windows.html

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Hope I can hear from you in a positive way.

Regards,
                                  Esteban C

• 14. Re: z170 usb 3.0 transfer windows 10 slow and hangs
                                    spicedaddy

I just did some tests with my new system (Core i5-6500, Gigabyte Z170X-UD5). OS is a clean install of Windows 10 with all updates.

I'm copying a large single file (5GB) from my OS drive (Intel 535 SSD 480GB) to external drives. (#1 is Seagate Backup Plus 1TB USB 3.0, #2 is a SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD 256GB in a Silverstone TS10 USB 3.0 enclosure, and #3 is the same SanDisk SSD but connected to a Vantec CB-SATAU3-6)

#1. Copying to the Seagate, I get around 77MB/s when connected to a USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 port. Probably normal, it's limited by the HDD write speed. No errors.

#2. Copying to the SanDisk SSD in the Silverstone enclosure is another story. When connected to a USB 3.0 port, it just stalls either right at the beginning or after a few seconds. If I unplug the drive and plug it back in, sometimes it asks me to reformat the drive. Very buggy behavior. If I connect it to the USB 3.1 port, it'll transfer at up to 340MB/s, and it finishes copying without problems.

#3. Copying to the same SanDisk SSD, but using the Vantec USB 3.0 to SATA cable, I get speeds around 270MB/s from both the USB 3.0 and 3.1 ports, and it copies perfectly.

So not sure what the problem is. I know the SilverStone enclosure uses a JMicron controller, so there might be a bug between that and the Intel 3.0 ports. The Vantec cable uses an ASMedia chip.

I'll be using the 3.1 port for now, hopefully Intel releases a USB 3.0 driver for Windows 10.

1 2 Previous Next