0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2016 2:18 PM by niteshadw

NUC6i5SYH Windows 7/10 x64 Freezes when Playing Videos

niteshadw

Hello,

I purchased the NUC6i5SYH and installed G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Memory Model F4-2133C15D-16GRS, with HyperX SSD (known working flawlessly on previous system). The BIOS is 033 with all default settings.

Initially I installed a fresh version of Windows 10 x64 and all of the drivers found online. The PC began freezing as soon as I opened Firefox, Kodi and even as soon as I logged in. When the freeze occurred, the whole screen was either baby-blue or white color. The mouse and keyboard were not responsive. The only way to recover was to power cycle. I looked into the Event Log but did not see a log of any issues, except the unexpected shutdown.

Next, I reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 10 x64 again, this time I only installed the LAN drivers, the PC appeared to be fine opening Firefox and Kodi. I had the system up for over a day. Next, I installed the graphics driver version 15.40.14.4352, that's where the freezing began happening again.

I decided to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 x64. It seems to be more stable with the video drivers installed, but after using Kodi for few minutes, the same happens,  even as soon as I start playing a video on youtube, the same freeze occurs. Sometimes, the freeze occurs when something as simple as opening a Windows Explorer window is opened.

I should also note that I tried using the HDMI and DP ports with different monitors and using different cables but the issue always remained the same.

I've been trying to find a solution, but most people only report similar problems, closest I found was related to memory. In my case I am not sure that memory is the issue...

Is there anyone who had similar issue and successfully resolved it? I want to use the NUC as a 4K HTPC, but obviously cannot. Are there any logs I can gather that could be helpful?

Any help would be much appreciated!