Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

i7-6700K high idle temp on core 0

MIgov
Beginner

Hello,

I noticed abnormal temperatures on my 6700K. Installed on Asus maximus VIII hero at default frequency core 0 temp is always higher than other cores.

System is idle and core 0 reads 48 C, other cores are 25-27 C

Cooling is Noctua NH-D15. It's base and heat pipes are cold when touching with my finger.

What could be the reason for such difference in temp of the cores?

IPDT does not show any errors.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Miro_i:

Could you please attach the report for the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool?

Regards,

0 Kudos
MIgov
Beginner

Here is it: http://pastebin.com/MgqFNbAE testresults - Pastebin.com

Edit: I heard about people delidding their 6700K CPUs to find bad applied thermal compound. I prefer official solution from Intel. What would you offer for my case?
0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Thank you for the report.

Checking your report everything seems to be fine, the fact the cores have a different temperatures means that your processor is working properly. I would like to know: Is there any issue with your system?

Regards,

0 Kudos
MIgov
Beginner

Yes there is issue. Minimal clocking requires too high voltage for stability. Example - i can't have 4.5GHz stable and 4.4GHz requires 1.4V. This is high compared to other results of same CPU.

I did not found another case where a core have significant higher temperature than other cores.

Temperature of 48C in idle is insane, however cooling works as seen on the other cores.

Do you think my system is normal with 48C @ Core VID 0.755v ?

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Yes, it is normal.

See here http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2259185/core-runs-hotter.html One core always runs much hotter than others? [Solved] - Intel i7 - CPUs (last post), I am pretty sure that this will give you a better understating.

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

0 Kudos