13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2016 11:15 PM by Witschey

How to solve slow copying/moving of files under Windows 10 in NUC5i7

Witschey

Hi Everyone,

I am a new owner of an Intel NUC 5i7 running a fresh install of Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit.   I have my new NUC configured with:

16GB of RAM (Corsair Vengeance)

Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB

Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512 GB

The system runs beautifully and I am overall happy with my purchase.  However, I have encountered a very annoying issue for which I am hoping to get some help from Intel or somebody in this group.

When I copy or move files from one folder to another it sometimes takes a very long time, even if it is only one file or two of negligible size (1-3MB).   It can be super fast, or super slow.  I haven't yet established a pattern for when it is slow and when it is fast, but many times I get the copy/move Windows 10 dialog that says 'computing'. It stays there for a while and finally transfers very slowly.

A quick internet search shows that other people are facing this issue, but I haven't been able to find a solution to it that works. From experience with Windows 7 I know that some of these things can usually be solved fairly easily by turning a switch on or off.....but the trick is finding what needs to be turned on or off.  As many others may be facing this issue, I am hoping that Intel or an experienced user may have figured out a way to address this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Paul