9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2016 11:01 AM by mikec_intel

nuc5i3myhe gigabit ethernet not working

royger

Hello,

I've brought a NUC5i3MYHE some time ago (less than one year), and everything seems to be working fine, I've used it with both FreeBSD and Linux without problems. However I've realized that neither FreeBSD nor Linux are able to connect to the network using gigabit rates, I always get the automatic media selection set to 100baseTX. I've tried with several cables of several different lengths (from 20cm to 3m) and several categories (CAT5E and CAT6), to no effect, I always get the media set to 100baseTX. I've also tried forcing the media to 1000baseTX using ethtool on Linux and ifconfig on FreeBSD, but then the connection just drops and the card reports that there's no carrier. Regarding the switches/routers, I've tried with Cisco, Linksys and Netgear Gigabit switches/routers, but I only get 100baseTX. I've also updated my BIOS to the latest version (34).

There's also something slightly weird, if I got into the network card BIOS options (by pressing F2 on boot, and then going to Devices -> Add-in Config and pressing Configure) and select "NIC configuration" I can only select 10 or 100MBps speeds, 1000MBps is not even there. I'm attaching a photo to show this:

IMG_20160128_104010.jpg

The UEFI NIC driver version reported on the Main Configuration Page of the NIC firmware is 6.1.16, not sure if this matters much TBH. I can also provide the Linux/FreeBSD kernel dmesg if relevant.

Thanks, Roger.

• 1. Re: nuc5i3myhe gigabit ethernet not working
          mikec_intel

Hi royger,

I will need to do a test in my lab. Please reply with the current BIOS version of your NUC and which operating system you are using.

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: nuc5i3myhe gigabit ethernet not working
            Lokutos

Maybe you could post the relevant dmesg / log entries of the Linux boot to see which driver handles the NIC (should be e1000e) and what that driver reports. You can also start a self test with ethtool. The link test will fail unless you have a cable connected and a working link. But I think the interface must be down, so you may want to stop any NIC handling services (NetworkManager, dhcp, ...).

Edit:

Self test works while up and connected and outputs something like this:

The test result is PASS

The test extra info:

Register test  (offline) 0

Eeprom test    (offline) 0

Interrupt test (offline) 0

Loopback test  (offline) 0

Link test   (on/offline) 0

The (kernel) log has some details on errors, IIRC.

• 3. Re: nuc5i3myhe gigabit ethernet not working
              royger

Hello,

BIOS version reported by dmidecode is MYBDWi30.86A.0034.2015.1204.1150. I've uploaded the dmesg from Linux 4.3.0, together with the output of dmidecode, ethtool -t eth0 and ethtool eth0 (just scroll, it's in the order described above). You can find it here (I've explicitly replaced the last values of the MAC/UUID with XX):

http://xenbits.xen.org/people/royger/nuc/dmesg

The output from `ethtool -t eth0` looks specially concerning:

root@nuc:~# ethtool -t eth0

[ 5515.948291] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth0: offline testing starting

[ 5516.052294] e1000e: eth0 NIC Link is Down

[ 5516.056431] bridge0: port 1(eth0) entered disabled state

[ 5516.219796] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth0: testing unshared interrupt

[ 5529.226609] bridge0: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state

[ 5529.232145] bridge0: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state

[ 5533.243797] bridge0: port 1(eth0) entered disabled state

The test result is FAIL

The test extra info:

Link test   (on/offline) 1

root@nuc:~#

[ 5541.998083] e1000e: eth0 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: Rx/Tx

[ 5542.005642] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth0: 10/100 speed: disabling TSO

[ 5542.011827] bridge0: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state

[ 5542.017424] bridge0: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state

(kernel messages are interleaved because I'm running this from the serial console).

Roger.

EDIT: I've guessed the info from `ethtool -i eth0` might also be relevant, so I'm adding it below:

# ethtool -i eth0

driver: e1000e

version: 3.2.6-k

firmware-version: 0.2-4

bus-info: 0000:00:19.0

supports-statistics: yes

supports-test: yes

supports-eeprom-access: yes

supports-register-dump: yes

supports-priv-flags: no

• 4. Re: nuc5i3myhe gigabit ethernet not working
                Lokutos

That's strange. Other than the link test failure (and the fact that you only get 100Mbps), everything else looks fine. I'm not sure under what conditions the link test fails. It may be that only getting 100Mbps (for whatever reason, even normal ones such as older switch or bad cable) is enough for it to fail. The local loopback test succeeds, suggesting that (AFAIK) everything up to and including the phy works. So if there is a hardware defect it is in the RJ45 socket or the cable. Are you sure that the cables you tried are fine? For 1Gbps all 4 cable pairs are used (contrary to 100Mbps where only two pairs are used). Have you tried a different switch? Are you sure the port on the switch is set to GigE? Have you tried a different port on the switch?

• 5. Re: nuc5i3myhe gigabit ethernet not working
                  royger

The cable I'm currently using is a 2m CAT6, I'm quite sure the router/cable are fine and completely capable of providing 1Gbps connection, I've just plugged the same cable (on the same router socket) to another's box ethernet card and got connected at 1Gbps without issues (in this case the nic is a tg3). I've tried multiple cables (ranging from 30cm to 4m, and both CAT5E and CAT6), and routers (Cisco, Linksys, Netgear...) and I always get the same result, the nic only connects at 100Mbps. As said in the first post, if I manually set the media to 1000BaseT, then the nic isn't able to detect a carrier at all.

Roger.

• 6. Re: nuc5i3myhe gigabit ethernet not working
                    Lokutos

I just edited my post, but you replied already, so I'm putting this here:

I tested with my NIC (it's an older one in a Laptop, but it's handled by the same driver and I believe the selftests are the same) by connecting to a 100Mbps switch I had lying around:

kernel: e1000e: enp0s25 NIC Link is Down

kernel: e1000e: enp0s25 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: Rx/Tx

kernel: e1000e 0000:00:19.0 enp0s25: 10/100 speed: disabling TSO

kernel: e1000e 0000:00:19.0 enp0s25: offline testing starting

kernel: e1000e: enp0s25 NIC Link is Down

kernel: e1000e 0000:00:19.0 enp0s25: testing unshared interrupt

kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): enp0s25: link is not ready

kernel: e1000e: enp0s25 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: Rx/Tx

kernel: e1000e 0000:00:19.0 enp0s25: 10/100 speed: disabling TSO

kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): enp0s25: link becomes ready

The test result is PASS

The test extra info:

Link test   (on/offline) 0

So at least for this configuration the Link test does not fail even if connected to only 100Mbps switch.

• 7. Re: nuc5i3myhe gigabit ethernet not working
                      mikec_intel

Hi All,

I suggest you to install the LAN driver for Linux available at

Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Adapters Drivers and Software

In the case of Windows®, you can verify network card features at device manager.
                      LAN-speed.PNG

Regards,
                      Miguel C

• 8. Re: nuc5i3myhe gigabit ethernet not working
                        royger

The page you pointed me to seems to only contain drivers for old kernels (2.4-2.6). AFAIK Intel directly upstreams new drivers into Linux right?

FWIW, ethtool on Linux reports that the card supports 1000Gbps, it's just that there doesn't seem to be a way to enable it. As you said on the first post, have you tried to reproduce this on your lab?

• 9. Re: nuc5i3myhe gigabit ethernet not working
                          mikec_intel

Hi royger,

The drivers for open Source OS are developed by each operating system manufacturer and their community; Intel® builds NUCs according pc standards.

Regards,
                          Mike C