5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 1:16 PM by EstebanC_Intel

Does anyone know if a NUC works satisfactorily in a car?  Thanks

John Chris Carracher

Is the NUC a durable enough piece of hardware to work in an automobile?

• 1. Re: Does anyone know if a NUC works satisfactorily in a car?  Thanks
          mikec_intel

Hi John Chris Carracher and Intel’s community,

If anyone already tested our NUCs in automobiles, I would appreciate your feedback.

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: Does anyone know if a NUC works satisfactorily in a car?  Thanks
            John Chris Carracher

Hi Mikec_intel and everybody ...

Among other things, I am curious about whether the NUCs can handle wide temperature and humidity ranges typically found in vehicle (eg in excess of 140-degrees F and in excess of 80-90% ambient humidity).  Also, I wonder how well the NUC handles the typical power provided by the vehicle and frequent changes in whether the supply is ON or OFF that can occur in daily driving.  In other words is the "12VDC" power circuits on the motherboard tough enough to handle the current it would get from the vehicle's supply on an extended basis without "crapping out".  Finally, I also am wondering just how well the NUC box functions as a Faraday Cage to shunt unwanted/damaging RF.

Thanks -

• 3. Re: Does anyone know if a NUC works satisfactorily in a car?  Thanks
              John Chris Carracher

In another unrelated question topic, N.Scott.Pearson (Jan 28, 2016 9:10 AM) made the following comment about car-based power supplies:

Note that 12V is the minimum voltage supported; lower voltages will cause the system to run unreliably or fail. If the input power is from an unreliable source - a car generator or battery, for example, it is recommended that a DC-DC voltage regulator be used. For example, a product like this: DCDC-NUC, 6-48V automotiove power supply for NUC, 12V or 19V output.

This is helpful and good to know - thanks Scott!

• 4. Re: Does anyone know if a NUC works satisfactorily in a car?  Thanks
                John Chris Carracher

I found some information on using batteries with the NUC that does seem pertinent to my question so I decided to post them here .... I hope this is alright.

semihucari Feb 8, 2016 2:14 PM asked a related question about running NUC on battery power:

Hi:

I am planning on using NUC with a wireless power supply. What should be the battery specifications for NUC5i7RYH?

Thank you.

EstebanC_Intel replied (Correct Answer 1. Re: Intel NUC on Battery Power):

Hello, semihucari:

If power source can handle the NUC's power brick consumption, and has the proper capabilities regarding power, that shouldn't be a problem, this hasn't been tested as far as I know and could fail.

I cannot assure you it is going to work properly.

Power brick specs:

Input: 100-240V~1.5A 50-60Hz

Output: 19V  3.43A 65W max

freeda6  Feb 9, 2016 1:58 PM  (in response to semihucari) said:

I heard people used NUC + portable powerbank to make a mobile robot. So I believe it should be possible. but the powerbank might be not too cheap.

EstebanC_Intel  Feb 10, 2016 1:23 PM  (in response to freeda6) writes:

Hello, freeda6:

That could also be possible, as long as the power source is enough to handle the NUC's power requirements.

• 5. Re: Does anyone know if a NUC works satisfactorily in a car?  Thanks
                  EstebanC_Intel

Hello, John Chris Carracher:

I would also like to add the following information, this can be found in page 56 of this pdf: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24565/eng/NUC5i5RYB_NUC5i3RYB_TechProdSpec02.pdf

Something to consider as well would be vibration.

NUC enviroment.PNG

Regards,

Esteban C