3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 6:12 AM by Amy_Intel

NUC, ubuntu 15, spontaneous reboots

MarkdeR

We are using several, 7, NUCs as support stations running Ubuntu 15. Currently 2 or 3 of those are bothered by daily spontaneous reboots. The others are not.

The NUCs run nothing special, just Chrome and Firefox and are equipped with proper 4GB RAM, Kingston 30GB SSD and HDMI screens, about as vanilla as can be.

The BIOS'es are all up to date, latest version, 041 for D34010WYK, we have no idea why this is happening. Anything known about spontaneous reboots?

• 1. Re: NUC, ubuntu 15, spontaneous reboots
          Amy_Intel

Hello, MarkdeR:

I would recommend to post this on Ubuntu Forums. Intel does not test and validate Intel® NUC on Linux; however we know that a lot of NUC owners are using it successfully on many different Linux distros. Intel suggests you check your Linux distro's website and forums at Ubuntu Forums for peer assistance with this issue I would also encourage the community here to collaborate with previous experiences in regard to this matter.

Regards,

• 2. Re: NUC, ubuntu 15, spontaneous reboots
            MarkdeR

I get where you are coming from, but I don't think this his software related. On 4 NUC's with exactly the same installation, we have no problems whatsoever. I did ask in the Ubuntu community, and the gist there is, it's related to thermal management and power states.

We did try the enable/disable S3/S4 option in the BIOS and that has seemed solved the problem for now. Once, more, that indicates hardware issues.

Also, not activly supporting Ubuntu or other Linux? You do know that loads of people use these nifty NUCs with Linux right? Mediacenters, kiosks, etc.

• 3. Re: NUC, ubuntu 15, spontaneous reboots
              Amy_Intel

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you were able to resolve your issue.

From our end it not supported but Intel is aware that other customers have successfully installed it.

Regards,