3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 11:00 AM by EstebanC_Intel

NUC5i3RYK m.2 legacy boot

briand095

I have a NUC5i3RYK, build date 25JAN2015, BIOS version 353 with a Samsung MZHPV128HDGM-00000 (SM951) PCIe SSD that will not let Windows 7 install to it in legacy mode. I just get a pop-up saying "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." I have only Legacy boot enabled, UEFI disabled. I checked UEFI mode to see if Windows 7 will install, that does work and lets me partition/install whatever. What else can I check and do to get this sorted?

• 1. Re: NUC5i3RYK m.2 legacy boot
          EstebanC_Intel

Hello, briand095:

There are some troubleshooting steps you can follow to fix this:

1. Rollback to the BIOS version 0249 in your NUC, this would be done via F7 option or BIOS recovery.

2. Connect your drive to another computer as a secondary drive and format the drive.

3. After formatting the drive, connect it back to your NUC and start the Windows 7* installation process.

BIOS Update Instructions for Boards and Kits

Download BIOS Update [RYBDWi35.86A]

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 2. Re: NUC5i3RYK m.2 legacy boot
            briand095

Hello EstebanC_Intel, I have been doing further troubleshooting and I have come to believe I can not have a install Windows 7 via legacy mode and have a working IR receiver (which was another issue later found out). I previously rolled back to the 0137 in which I could install in legacy mode, but the IR driver did not install, could not find the device or something to that effect. I did try the 0249 on your request, same effect, I can install Windows to the drive in legacy mode, but unable to install the IR driver. I also have a brand new 5i5RYH that exhibits the same issue, no legacy install to the m.2 SSD. I suppose I can not have my cake and eat it too. Thanks

• 3. Re: NUC5i3RYK m.2 legacy boot
              EstebanC_Intel

Hello, briand095:

I am glad to hear your were able to perform the Windows 7* installation properly.

Let's verify the following regarding IR:

-Check the "Remote Controller Type" selected (it would have to match your controller).

-Make sure you have selected "Enhanced Consumer IR"

How to check this?

Access your BIOS>Advanced>Devices>On-board devices>Legacy device configuration.

That would be the path to find the settings above.

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C