1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2016 8:13 AM by ivanu_intel

NUC6i5SYH erratic fan behavior

Lokutos

I got a nice new NUC6i5SYH and have noticed erratic fan control behavior. The first thing I did before setting up the OS was update to BIOS 033, so I already have the latest version. I usually use Arch Linux (currently kernel 4.3.3), but also have a Windows 10 partition for gaming. I noticed that sometimes after power on or reboot (i.e. during BIOS initialization) the fan would stop completely and would remain in that state, no matter what happens to the temperatures. This is very dangerous as the CPU (and memory, PCH, mainboard) gets extremely hot. I only noticed this because I started a game and the game suddenly was very sluggish. This means thermal protection kicked in and throttled the CPU. I then noticed the fan was not moving at all. A reboot brought it back and because of the high temperatures it started with a very high RPM and noise. After that I noticed it several times already. This happens sometimes after reboot or after powering on from S5 and already happens during BIOS initialization, i.e. even if stuck in the grub boot menu (e.g.) the fan is not running at all (even though minimum duty cycle is configured to 35%).

At one other time (so far) the fan was initialized to a very high (max?) speed during BIOS initialization following a reboot and remained there until the next reboot.

Also, why does the firmware not notice that the fan is not moving at all and display warnings, beeps etc.? Why isn't there at least a thermal shutdown initiated once the CPU reached Tjunction (which it did!)?

Finally, I hope that these fanless episodes didn't harm the board or CPU. PCH, memory, CPU all got extremely hot (CPU > 100C, memory >70C).

Edit:

Note that the fan never stopped (if it was running initially) once the OS was booted. So this seems to be an error in fan control initialization during POST. If this is done correctly, the fan behaves normal during the whole OS usage. But if it fails, the fan runs either at some very high (max?) speed or not at all, independent of any temperature readings and does not return to normal operation until the next boot.

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYH erratic fan behavior
          Lokutos

So, I did a BIOS downgrade (via recovery jumper) to 0028 and so far (after several shut downs and reboots) the fan behaves correctly. It's a bit too soon to say, but so far it looks good. The downgrade also fixed two other problems I have had:

• After a power on (from S5) and boot into Windows 10, the Intel HD audio device (PCI ID 8086:9D70) was listed as an unknown device and an "Update driver" didn't find anything. No audio hardware was present and thus no audio would work.  A reboot fixed that and the same device (same PCI ID) was then handled by some driver as "HD Audio Controller". A single reboot after power on, while still in the boot menu (grub), i.e. without any OS booted also fixed the issue and the device was recognized.
          • After a power on or reboot and boot to Windows 10 sometimes the Wifi card would not see my 5GHz ac AP.Only 2.4GHz APs were listed.

None of this happened with Linux. My guess is that the BIOS 0033 does not initialize certain system components correctly. Linux' drivers probably initialize more thoroughly and/or have better error handling and recovery.

After the downgrade both of these issues are gone.

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYH erratic fan behavior
            ivanu_intel

Hello Lokutos,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

We appreciate the information you have shared with us, at this point I suggest staying at that BIOS version and hopefully a new BIOS version will be released and it will solve more issues and this kind of issues.

Please let me know how it goes from now on with the BIOS version 0028.

Best regards,

Ivan

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYH erratic fan behavior
              Lokutos

Hello Ivan,

Since I did the downgrade I did many more power-ons / reboots and always paid attention to the fan. So far it has behaved correctly. I'm pretty confident the issue is fixed with the older firmware. The two other problems are also definitely fixed. I never had issues with wifi or audio again.

Especially the fan probelm is a pretty critical one as a fan not running overheats the CPU and possibly other component (RAM, SSD/HDD) very quickly. This can lead to hardware defects. Or is the NUC designed with such a themal margin and thermal protection that nothing will happen in this case?

Best regards,

Stefan

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYH erratic fan behavior
                gareth25

Ivan, I can also confirm the issue with NUC6i5SYK - Re: NUC6i5SYK overheated due to sleep/fan issue. Possible FW/BIOS problem!

You need to raise this internally as a critical issue so a new BIOS can be posted urgently. The worry is Intel is going to get damaged NUC's or a lot of complaints as these hit higher stock levels in the channel. Please do raise this internally if possible so someone can take a look as a priority.

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYH erratic fan behavior
                  gareth25

Stefan, no way is 100 (C) + good for the components. I'm surprised it doesn't shut off to be honest but mine was so toasty you couldn't really hold it - yes it was that hot.

Good thing to backdate, hopefully you will be okay until Intel sort this out. Major issue in my opinion and needs a swift response from Intel.

• 6. Re: NUC6i5SYH erratic fan behavior
                    ivanu_intel

Lokutos I’m glad that your unit is working fine with the BIOS version 0028 and thank you for the feedback.

gareth25 did you try the BIOS version 0028 to see if this version can help you any better?

Best regards,

Ivan 

• 7. Re: NUC6i5SYH erratic fan behavior
                      gareth25

Hi Ivan,

The problem started after I updated the BIOS/FW so I suspect the latest BIOS is the problem and 0028 would work fine. I have not downgraded and will probably just wait for an updated firmware and use my NUC5i5 for the time being until it's resolved.

• 8. Re: NUC6i5SYH erratic fan behavior
                        Lokutos

IMO Intel should call-back the 0033 update and urge people to downgrade until they have fixed this issue. 80°C case temperature as you have experienced is way out of the allowed operating temperature specs (40°C measured in the middle of the case according to the documentation). This will probably lead to damaged NUCs.

Staying at 0028 is not that good either as I suspect 0033 contains the fixed microcode to keep Skylake from crashing (total freeze) on certain AVX code sequences.

• 9. Re: NUC6i5SYH erratic fan behavior
                          gareth25

Yes, you are right. Oh well, I will keep an eye on it and if no update in the next week then I'll revert to my 5-series NUC and send this one back. I've had it with Windows 10 software issues and hardware issues at the moment.

• 10. Re: NUC6i5SYH erratic fan behavior
                            ivanu_intel

I’m really sorry for all this inconvenience and hopefully a new BIOS version will come up soon.

Best regards,

Ivan

• 11. Re: NUC6i5SYH erratic fan behavior
                              Lokutos

Hello Ivan,

Does this mean the Intel BIOS engineers are aware of the mentioned issues and are working on a fix? I.e. does a (hopefully soon coming) new version definitely fix these issues:

• Fan speed control sometimes not initialized correctly on power-on, reboot, and perhaps (in gareth25 case) resume from S3 (maybe it was S4 since he mentioned "after 12 hours" and I'm not sure what Windows does by default in this case)
                              • Intel 8265AC wifi card not initialized correctly on power-on / reboot (probably DRS not enabled, unable to see any / most 5GHz channels)
                              • Intel HD audio not initialized correctly on power-on, needs a reboot for Windows to correctly enable the device (and thus audio)

Best regards,

Stefan

• 12. Re: NUC6i5SYH erratic fan behavior
                                ivanu_intel

Well, this is not an issue that has been reported with all the units because we have other customers running the unit with no problems, our engineering department work in new BIOS versions to fix issues they have found in our labs and reported by customers, maybe you can try accessing the BIOS and press F9 to set the BIOS to default and see if that help you any better and press F10 to save the changes.

Also, there is a possibility that the unit could be defective and you may want to replace it, you can request a warranty replacement at the following link:

Contact Support

However, I escalated this issue for further investigation.

Best wishes

Ivan

• 13. Re: NUC6i5SYH erratic fan behavior
                                  Lokutos

Loading defaults via F9 (and saving them) was the first thing I did after the upgrade to 0033. The NUC works fine with 0028. All of the problems mentioned only occur with 0033, so it is highly unlikely that the unit is defective and much more likely that it is the BIOS which is buggy. Also, at least the fan issue happens only sometimes (as I have written here) and I'm not the only one which had that problem (at least gareth25 reported it as well). It is also likely that it goes unnoticed by many users as you normally don't hear the fan even if it is working. I only noticed it because a game was suddenly extremely slow, because the CPU's thermal throttling kicked in.

• 14. Re: NUC6i5SYH erratic fan behavior
                                    ivanu_intel

Thank you Lokutos for that information and as I mention before I escalated the issue for further investigation and hopefully a new BIOS will come up soon.

1 2 Previous Next