Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20596 Discussions

3D Blu ray playback is broken 95%

JKosi
Novice

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue AND 'does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?' If you can offer a % rate please do.

1. 3D Blu ray playback is broken 95%. Every time I try to view a movie (frame packing), one frame lags behind the other and creates an unwatchable, "water-like" effect. On occasion this can be corrected by pausing the movie for a few seconds, but it is not a consistent fix at all. I reported this to you months ago and it has yet to appear as an unresolved issue in release notes.

2. Video files and Blu Ray movies will drop a frame about every 4 minutes 100% of the time. This always happens, with or without the helper app Reclock. With an nVidia GPU, this issue was fully resolved with Reclock.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

NUC 5I5RYK

Hybrid or switchable graphics system? ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No and no. OEM.

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in) 

EFP. A Vizio M801D-A3 HDTV.

<span style="font-weight: inherit; ...

15 Replies
DKy
Beginner

sclaws wrote:

Category

Questions

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue AND 'does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?' If you can offer a % rate please do.

1. 3D Blu ray playback is broken 95%. Every time I try to view a movie (frame packing), one frame lags behind the other and creates an unwatchable, "water-like" effect. On occasion this can be corrected by pausing the movie for a few seconds, but it is not a consistent fix at all. I reported this to you months ago and it has yet to appear as an unresolved issue in release notes.

2. Video files and Blu Ray movies will drop a frame about every 4 minutes 100% of the time. This always happens, with or without the helper app Reclock. With an nVidia GPU, this issue was fully resolved with Reclock.

sclaws wrote:

Category

Questions

Description

Frame drops seen playing back any video file every 3-4 minutes. Happens 10...

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

kurkos_dr, What is the graphics controller or processor model on your computer?

Also, please bear in mind Intel graphics drivers are often referred to by either build number or driver version: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-020667.htm Graphics Drivers — Understanding The Intel® Graphics Driver Version Number.

Allan.

0 Kudos
DKy
Beginner

allan_intel wrote:

kurkos_dr, What is the graphics controller or processor model on your computer?

Also, please bear in mind Intel graphics drivers are often referred to by either build number or driver version: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-020667.htm Graphics Drivers — Understanding The Intel® Graphics Driver Version Number.

Allan.

My machine is a Lenovo Z70-80. It has an Intel Core i5-5200U (Intel HD Graphics 5500) and a Nvidia Geforce 840M.

Please note the Nvidia GPU does not take part in video playback acceleration. It happens exclusively on the Intel card (and the video appearance actually changes when I change the video noise reduction settings in the Intel GPU options app).

In fact, I tried passing video playback acceleration to the Nvidia card to work around the issue, but with no success. I don't want to disable the Intel GPU from device manager, because I may risk being left without a screen. Or I can actually do that and use only the Nvidia card?

BTW, an honest thank you for escalating this bug. This bug is very annoying. It's weird to have an old laptop from 2009 or my Raspberry Pi play 1080p YouTube flawlessly but have my shiny new 850€ laptop flail when it tries to do the same thing

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information, I am escalating this matter to our engineering team. If I get any news I will post them here.

Allan.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Can someone provide a video of the failure?

Is this only failing with a BD file or does it occur directly from BD Disc too?

Does it fail in VLC or KMP?

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

I'll try to get a video up in the next day or two comparing a working vs flawed video rendering.

Only tried with image files as my media is all delivered via home server. However I can try a disc and report back.

I don't use VLC or KMP...just PowerDVD 15.

0 Kudos
BHora1
Novice

I've tried Stereoscopic player, MadVR, PowerDVD and 3D iso's exhibit the same problem. I even tried loading 3D mkv (using makemkv) and same issue. I tried 3d disc and same issue as well. Cannot believe I spent so much money and 3d is broken

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

Here's a link to a video I made that tries to demonstrate the rendering error.

http://1drv.ms/1SK79kV http://1drv.ms/1SK79kV

0 Kudos
BHora1
Novice

Wow! Thanks sooooo much sclaws for taking the time to do this. This Video encapsulates exactly the problem I am seeing. And to further emphasize this in not an issue with Power DVD. Both Stereoscopic Player and even the latest madVR show the exact same issue only using the intel driver.

I pray to the Gods that Intel will take a look at this issue and fix it. It is NOT hard to replicate or see and so I would be surprised if they cannot see this in the "LAB" tests. Intel, I beg of you, escalate this issue to your engineers and fix this issue in the next driver release please. I have been suffering for over a year with the 5th and now 6th generation NUCS showing the exact same issue. Fix this and the NUC will become the perfect HTPC!

Heck if you fix this I will go out of my way to tell everyone I know to buy a NUC.

The video shows the problem precisely and is very well presented. Thanks again sclaws!

0 Kudos
HAtki
Beginner

Similar issue here with the latest I7-6700 with 530 Graphics and 3D bluray playback, I have 2 display in extended mode and watch 3D movies on my main TV/ Dell 2413 for web use.

I get a wired flicker on camera changes, like a blurry veil/flash across the screen, the 3D effect is all messed up and hard to watch/blurry, 3D objects are displayed incorrectly/opposite to what they should be, like the default left/right eye is messed up, changing the settings in PDVD15 and/or in the display to right/left eye just makes it worse, it's always out of sync

I also noticed the intel graphics control panel - scaling setting does not stick and keeps changing from "maintain display scaling" to "Maintain aspect ratio" when changing from 3D to 2D modes, which looks to also be a by-effect/related to the issue, keeping the setting at "maintain aspect ratio" fixes the issue temporarily but try and fast forward or rewind a 3D movie and it's broken again and the camera change - flash, re-appears.

I tried to create a support ticket but got an error when I submitted it that the system was down

Please fix this Intel, as I predominantly watch 3D movies and this a brand new build, my old I-7 4790 worked perfectly.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Thanks All,

I'm currently working on getting this replicated internally. I'll update back when the Engg gets back to me with next steps.

0 Kudos
BHora1
Novice

Thanks Bryce. I'll be waiting eagerly to hear back on status of this

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hey sclaws

What's the difference between this thread and your other thread ? I see you wrote the other one prior to this thread. Checking in to see if they can be combined.

Bug# for this is [10031761]. It's been replicated, debugged, and currently assigned to a Developer.

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice
0 Kudos
ADi_L
New Contributor I

Any chance you can check the progress on this? I got very excited when you said it's already been replicated and debugged. It's been over a month now.

I tried the latest driver recommended for my NUC (NUC5i5RYH), 15.40.22.4424, and it still has the same problem.

Thanks.

0 Kudos