Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Why won't vga monitor work with HD graphicss

AHoke
Beginner

I recently purchased a dell inspiron desktop. It is an intel Pentium quad core N3700 with on boards Intel HD graphics. I have two VGA monitors (old CRTs). The old one seems to work well enough. Its a Samsung SyncMaster 17GLi. The other monitor, which is much newer, is a Philips Brilliance 107P2, and it will not work with the this computer.

I also have an old Pentium Duo core with Intel G33 graphics and both monitors work fine on that. I really don't think that the Phillips monitor is broken in any way because it works fine on the other computer. It could be obsolete somehow. Can anyone explain this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, wagoner:

I would like to check the following:

1. Have you tested with different cables?

2. Are you using a straight connection? (no adapters used)

3. Have you looked for possible driver updates in the manufacturer's website of your device?

4. Have you reported this issue to your OEM?

You can test your system with the generic drivers provided by Intel®; however, it is not totally recommended since any special features or settings would not be available as in OEM's driver.

Just make sure you select the driver compatible with your OS and it's version (32/64-bit)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81504/Intel-HD-Graphics-for-Intel-Pentium-Processors Drivers & Software

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
AHoke
Beginner

I am not using any adaptors, just a vga cable to the monitor. The cable seems permanently attached the monitor, so I cannot remove it or try a different one. If the cable was the problem, I would not expect the monitor to work on the old computer, which it does.

The monitor won't display even the bios screen, so I don't know if a different driver would make the difference. I have gotten the monitor to work by plugging in the older monitor first, and then switching to the newer one. It seems like the on board video needs to be started or initialized or something. The monitor and the video components seems to have trouble syncing up or getting started.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, wagoner:

What if you uninstall the graphics driver totally ( select "Delete the driver software for this device").

Once done, install the default drivers from Windows if not tested already.

I would say this is a driver issue, that could be the source of the issue.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos