If the wireless adapter is the original one installed by factory, we recommend that you contact your computer manufacturer first in order to obatin the latest drivers: Computer Manufacturer Support Websites - Try uninstalling the current drivers and then use the ones provided by the manufacturer. As a second option, you can try the drivers found in our donwload center and proceed as described below. Please note that the latest drivers version ( 18.21.0) for this adapter in our download center are Windows* 7. 8 and 8.1 compliant and may or may not work because they are generic.
1. Download and save: Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1*. file name: Wireless_18.21.0.e164.exe
2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".
3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".
4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.
5. Reboot or scan for hardware changes, then uninstall and delete any older driver versions as you did for the Wireless adapter.
6. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.