7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2016 11:33 AM by BMEJ

Bluetooth HC-06 data at tty

BMEJ

Hello,

Forgive me I'm a bit of a newbie here,

I have managed to connect a bluetooth module, HC-06, to the Galileo Gen 2 through the mini pci-e wifi/bluetooth card.  The bluetooth module(HC-06) is connected to an analog sensor and arduino.  How do I go about finding this data within the linux command line on the Galileo?  I have sent data this way to a PC which has a bluetooth dongle, so that information is easily captured through a terminal on a COM port. I eventually want to have my C++ code reading the bluetooth data.

Edit** I believe to focus on "tty" if I can find out which tty my bluetooth module is using?

Advice appreciated

• 1. Re: HC-06 data
          CMata_Intel

Hi BMEJ,

You can find information about the devices connected to the mPCIe port by running lspci –v and checking the files in /sys/bus/pci/devices and /sys/class/pci_bus

Some questions about this:

The HC-06 uses serial communication, why you didn’t use the pins 0 and 1 in order to use the module as a UART?

Could you provide the output you have after running ls /dev? It seems that you should have a ttyACMx on /dev, can you see this device?

Have you installed a specific driver for this?

What is the outcome of running uname –a?

Regards,

Charlie

• 2. Re: Bluetooth HC-06 data at tty
            BMEJ

Thanks for the reply,

I was a bit weary about seeing serial information via the pci-e bluetooth connection. So i suppose it's not happening.  I connected by using bluetoothctl then pairing the device, but I suppose that's no indication that any data is transferrable, but like I said, I'm a noob.

edited*long and ugly.

I didn't see any references using lspci -v about my hc-06 module. 

Are you recommending that I get another hc-06 module and connect it to pins 0 and 1 to send the data via bluetooth?

Thanks

Heres some output:

root@galileo:~# ls /dev

autofs           loop-control        ptyp7  ptyqe      tty17  tty38  tty59   ttypb  urandom

block            loop0               ptyp8  ptyqf      tty18  tty39  tty6    ttypc  vcs

bus              loop1               ptyp9  ram0       tty19  tty4   tty60   ttypd  vcs1

char             mem                 ptypa  random     tty2   tty40  tty61   ttype  vcs12

console          mmcblk0             ptypb  rfkill     tty20  tty41  tty62   ttypf  vcs2

core             mmcblk0p1           ptypc  rtc        tty21  tty42  tty63   ttyq0  vcs3

cpu              mmcblk0p2           ptypd  rtc0       tty22  tty43  tty7    ttyq1  vcs4

cpu_dma_latency  mqueue              ptype  shm        tty23  tty44  tty8    ttyq2  vcs5

disk             net                 ptypf  snd        tty24  tty45  tty9    ttyq3  vcs6

esramtest0       network_latency     ptyq0  spidev1.0  tty25  tty46  ttyGS0  ttyq4  vcsa

fd               network_throughput  ptyq1  stderr     tty26  tty47  ttyS0   ttyq5  vcsa1

full             null                ptyq2  stdin      tty27  tty48  ttyS1   ttyq6  vcsa12

fuse             port                ptyq3  stdout     tty28  tty49  ttyp0   ttyq7  vcsa2

hpet             ppp                 ptyq4  tty        tty29  tty5   ttyp1   ttyq8  vcsa3

hugepages        ptmx                ptyq5  tty0       tty3   tty50  ttyp2   ttyq9  vcsa4

i2c-0            pts                 ptyq6  tty1       tty30  tty51  ttyp3   ttyqa  vcsa5

iio:device0      ptyp0               ptyq7  tty10      tty31  tty52  ttyp4   ttyqb  vcsa6

imrtest0         ptyp1               ptyq8  tty11      tty32  tty53  ttyp5   ttyqc  zero

initctl          ptyp2               ptyq9  tty12      tty33  tty54  ttyp6   ttyqd

input            ptyp3               ptyqa  tty13      tty34  tty55  ttyp7   ttyqe

kmem             ptyp4               ptyqb  tty14      tty35  tty56  ttyp8   ttyqf

kmsg             ptyp5               ptyqc  tty15      tty36  tty57  ttyp9   uio0

log              ptyp6               ptyqd  tty16      tty37  tty58  ttypa   uio1

root@galileo:~# uname -a

Linux galileo 3.8.7-yocto-standard #1 Tue Sep 29 22:16:33 GMT 2015 i586 GNU/Linux

• 3. Re: Bluetooth HC-06 data at tty
              BMEJ

I guess was just hoping to use the bluetooth capability that the N135 has.

• 4. Re: Bluetooth HC-06 data at tty
                CMata_Intel

Hi BMEJ,

I misunderstood the configuration you were using but I think now I understand what you are using, please let me know if I’m wrong.

On an Arduino Board you have the HC-06 module

On the Galileo you have the N135 module connected to the mPCIe slot.

You are trying to receive data through Bluetooth from the Arduino+HC-06module to the Galileo Board.

If you want to do this, I suggest you to look into this document: Bluetooth User Guide (It is for Edison but it will help you too)

You can send and receive data by using rfcomm or another protocol that will allow you to create a code for Bluetooth. If you want to use C code the library is located on /usr/include/bluetooth. You can also use Python and install pyBluez.

I hope this helps and gives you and idea on how to start.

Regards,

Charlie

• 5. Re: Bluetooth HC-06 data at tty
                  BMEJ

Thanks Charlie,

I should have stated my goal more clearly. 

I have several types of sensors. Using an analog sensor I have been able to read that info directly plugging it in to the Galileo, but I actually need to put that sensor somewhere else and send the info wirelessly.  I could use bluetooth, or RF( I did get nRFL01 module) but i'm really just looking for the simplest solution as my coding skills are not great. If you have a suggested method for doing this, I'm all ears.  I'm just here to learn.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Bluetooth HC-06 data at tty
                    CMata_Intel

Hi BMEJ,

It will depend on the resources you have and the language in which you feel more comfortable.

With Bluetooth you will only need the boards and the Bluetooth modules, but if you use WiFi you will need more resources.

Have you started to work with the nRFL01?

I suggest you to look into the examples on the XDK:

IoT - Getting started with the Intel® XDK IoT Edition | Intel® Developer Zone

IoT - XDK | Intel® Developer Zone

Also, take a look at the MRAA and UPM libraries:

mraa: Main Page

mraa/examples at master · intel-iot-devkit/mraa · GitHub

upm: Main Page

upm/examples at master · intel-iot-devkit/upm · GitHub

Regards,

Charlie

• 7. Re: Bluetooth HC-06 data at tty
                      BMEJ

Thanks Charlie,

I haven't got that far yet. 

I will post an update when i get some data flowing.  The nrf24l01 will be processed by an arduino (attiny or similar) and only send data when the analog sensor is triggered.