8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 2:14 PM by EstebanC_Intel

Is this a bad dream or did Intel actually release a BIOS update that kills my NUC?

melikenuc

Maybe I am tired and cranky and lack the competency to recover from this but the situation is this - just spent the better part of $700 or so on my NUC6i6RYH and as anyone would do (or not, but I have for the better part of 30 years of technology use) I took a look at the drivers with such a new platform mayber there are drivers worh installing - and there I see the demon bios - 33.  I thought innocently, hey, Intel probably cleaned up some stuff that you find as you start to have greateer and greater use and feedback, so I will update the bios, as I have done for 30 years and what is the worst that can happen?  I have to downgrade back as I have done from time to time in recovery - if you have ever experienced a bios upgrade interrupted for example.

Well, I install it, and poof - NUC is now a doorstop.  The m.2 channel appears to not be detected by the system anymore.  This is shockingly negligent on Intel's part to actually release this BIOS when it causes this to happen.  I have a very plain vanilla setup - 32GB of memory and the EVO 256GB m.2 ssd - that's it.  I am flaming about this because I am extremely inconvenienced by this - and I actually thought my drive was the issue, until I put it in another nuc6i5 that  hadn't updated yet and it worked fine, and to think I was blaming this on shoddy south Korean products - I felt very guilty to have ever doubted the only excellent products I have used from Samsung.

Only after my troubleshooting hellride did I come upon this beauty:

Due to the Intel® ME firmware update in BIOS version 0033, once the BIOS has been updated to this version or later, you will need to perform a BIOS Recovery to downgrade the BIOS to version 0028 or earlier. Attempting a BIOS downgrade using the F7 or iFlash methods may fail – the BIOS will remain at its current version.

Download BIOS Update [SYSKLi35.86A]

Not only have I never read documentation to a BIOS upgrade as it about as intelligible to me as reading the electrical wiring diagram for my dishwasher, but never in my wildest dreams would I think I am installing a bios where the notes say :  Only install this bios if you want to make your NUC into a doorstop.  That would have gotten my attention.

Additionally, just or the person who wrote this, their 5-hour energy must have worn off, because if you would have tried this and then done a recovery you would have experienced for yourself that the recovery does not in fact resolve the doorstop state your NUC is now in - and then Intel would have never released this bios until that was solved and I wouldn't be writing this.

I am also so animated about this mainly because I am trying to build a business around these machines as the sole hardware for the infrastructure and have talked them up significantly - so this doesn't make me look good and I hope that intel either.

1- comes out with a patch ASAP (if that is possible)

2-tells me how to resolve this without any new bios from them (and yes I have done BIOS recovery and downgraded back to 28 - doesn't exercise this demon)

3 - bellies up to the bar and replaces my nuc

Thanks

• 1. Re: Is this a bad dream or did Intel actually release a BIOS update that kills my NUC?
          ganboing

In the BIOS, reset to default and check if M.2 has been disabled.

• 2. Re: Is this a bad dream or did Intel actually release a BIOS update that kills my NUC?
            ganboing

My Samsung 950 pro M.2 works fine with 0033 BIOS.

• 3. Re: Is this a bad dream or did Intel actually release a BIOS update that kills my NUC?
              melikenuc

Thanks - it would have been more helpful if you specified

a. that you need to stay with the 33 BIOS

b. specifically, you need to check the box, which for some masochistic reason is unchecked by the 33 install, on the PCI tab to activate the PCI slot.

• 4. Re: Is this a bad dream or did Intel actually release a BIOS update that kills my NUC?
                melikenuc

the M.2 slot specifically on the PCI tab is unchecked after 33 install, you need to check the box and 4 hours of torture is averted

• 5. Re: Is this a bad dream or did Intel actually release a BIOS update that kills my NUC?
                  Lokutos

Besides checking the BIOS options and simply setting a check mark (which should be the first thing to do after a BIOS upgrade, anyway -- 30 years experience?), you can  *of course* downgrade if you just follow the documented way to do so. That is, you have to remove a jumper on the board to go start in BIOS recovery mode, then insert a USB stick with the desired BIOS version and power on. This is all documented on the NUC pages and in the technical documentation. The warning wrt. downgrade is especially there to tell you that you cannot downgrade normally (i.e. without using the jumper).

• 6. Re: Is this a bad dream or did Intel actually release a BIOS update that kills my NUC?
                    melikenuc

Sorry Lokutos, but you happen to be 100% wrong.  You can downgrade but that doesn't help because there are no check boxes on prior versions of the BIOS - it just shows the thing as no present and there is nothing to configure - at least I didn't see it in the three hours I spent.    Also, contrary to this statement which is cognitive bias :

Besides checking the BIOS options and simply setting a check mark (which should be the first thing to do after a BIOS upgrade, anyway -- 30 years experience?), you can  *of course* downgrade if you just follow the documented way to do so.

Um, no.  If I have a perfectly functioning computer on 28 and upgrade the bios, which is effectively what I said in my post, I have never experienced where a core function like the m.2 channel on NC would go from active to inactive - that is what is called a BUG in the install routine of the 33 BIOS script.  I have no reason to look for the bug - especially since I actually was able to boot successfully and then in the middle of using it went dark.  So first thing I did, which was the appropriate action was to look at the 33 page for the documentation to see if this was a known issue - and of course I find the non-sequitr I posted above.  After doing exactly what you seem to have missed me saying I did above, you do not solve the problem because the interface is totally different and there is no box to check, just a read only field value that says not present - ie you now own a doorstop.  If you achieved different results, good for you, but I didn't, and I tried everything you told me but I would strongly disagree with you that given the facts the first thing someone would do is check the bios - I am no saying it isn't, but if even 10% of nuc users aren't the genius that you are, that's a lot of soul crushing man hours wasted because Intel does something that is not reasonable for someone to expect, especially with 30 years experience.

• 7. Re: Is this a bad dream or did Intel actually release a BIOS update that kills my NUC?
                      Mike.H

melikenuc,

I am glad that you posted this, since the exact same things happened to me. I was actually getting ready to RMA my m2 SSD, but decided that the most likely culprit was my recent bios upgrade. And, like you, my computer was working shortly after the bios upgrade before it suddenly stopped working during a Windows Update reboot.

As for the previous comments, how in the heck are we supposed to check to see if the bios arbitrarily de-selected a basic computer function? Is that a normal thing for a bios update to do? No, I am pretty sure it isn't. I am pretty sure that it was a poor decision on Intel's part which is causing pain to its user community. I, too, have 30 years of computer use. I am not building them everyday, but my experience goes back to setting IRQ's and physically installing each chip of ram in motherboard sockets.

• 8. Re: Is this a bad dream or did Intel actually release a BIOS update that kills my NUC?
                        EstebanC_Intel

Hello, melikenuc:

Thank you form bringing this to my attention.

For sure if after enabling the m.2 option at BIOS level, the drive is not recognized, you can request the warranty on your product.

Note that if you are within the first 30 days after the day of purchase, you can request the warranty from the place of purchase, if not you can contact Intel Customer Support to get the proper support.

Contact Support

I will be sending this over for review and normally a future fix will be released, Intel® is always willing to provide you with the best experience with your units.

If you require any further information or support, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C