Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

HNS2600JF Does Not Post - Debug Tips?

CLOL
Beginner

I have a HNS2600JF compute node that does not post. First, the fan would spin up slowly, then a few beeps, then a long series of quite a few beeps, then the fan would rev up to max. There is nothing on the VGA display, just the fan running at max.

Any idea on how I may debug? Is using the status leds the only option to get some diagnostics?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello,

To debug the issue please count the series of beep codes that the system is giving during POST. If the beep code sequence is 1-5-4-4 the issue is related to power. You can also test the board without memory installed and should receive three regular beep codes, if not there is a chance the node is defective.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

To debug the issue please count the series of beep codes that the system is giving during POST. If the beep code sequence is 1-5-4-4 the issue is related to power. You can also test the board without memory installed and should receive three regular beep codes, if not there is a chance the node is defective.

0 Kudos
CLOL
Beginner

I installed just 1 CPU in slot 0, no memory. Now, I am getting the beep sequence "1 5 4 2". The board is completely quiet. It does not come up. Same result with 1 memory module installed.

Thanks...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Test the compute node on a different slot on the chassis and also test one power supply at the time to narrow this issue.

0 Kudos
CLOL
Beginner

Yeah, I did test using different slots and got identical results: 1-5-4-2

It takes a while before the beep comes up and long still for the power supply fan to revv up. Also tested with just this particular compute node plugged in. The other compute node works just fine.

I wonder if it is the node, the chassis, or the power supply?

0 Kudos
CLOL
Beginner

1-5-4-2 looks to be a power supply issue, probably to the board as the power unit seems to work fine, powering another compute node.

I tried yet a different node and got a 1-3-4 or a 1-2-4

Anyone with a pointer to where I can find the beep code?

The following PDF does not list the full set of beep codes...

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/g31608015_s2600jf_tps_r2_41.pdf http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/g31608015_s2600jf_tps_r2_41.pdf

0 Kudos