14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2016 2:57 PM by PabloM_Intel

Disabling SPI CS1?

Ye-Sheng

Hi,

I'm trying to use Edison to talk to multiple spi devices, however, I found many issues about Edison's SPI have been discussed.

I found one solution is use GPIO as SPI CS line instead of using hardware SPI CS. Unfortunately, I hard wired the my device to both SPI-5-CS0(GP110) and SPI-5-CS1(GP111) on my pcb. I wonder if it's possible to "disable" SPI CS in SPI driver and manually use SPI CS1 pin as ordinary GPIO?

Thanks,

Ye-Sheng

• 1. Re: Disabling SPI CS1?
          PabloM_Intel

Hi Ye-Sheng,

Yes, it should be possible to disable the predetermined SPI CS and use it as a GPIO. Could you please tell us which platform you are using? Breakout board or Arduino Expansion board? In any case, take a look at both Hardware guides for further information.

http://download.intel.com/support/edison/sb/edisonbreakout_hg_331190006.pdf.

http://download.intel.com/support/edison/sb/edisonarduino_hg_331191007.pdf.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

• 2. Re: Disabling SPI CS1?
            Ye-Sheng

I roll my own platform, but I'm using the miniboard platform setting in the MRAA library.

When I tried to use the GP111 (SPI-5-CS1, MRAA Pin 9) with MRAA library, linux returns "Device or resource busy". So library immediately returns fail.

The other question I have is how the MRAA library determines the platform I'm using?

I track down the library looks for the state of GPIO214. (src/x86/intel_edison_fab_c.c line 1166)

How does this work in custom platform? I designed my own platform but MRAA library keeps thinking I'm on Arduino board so that it only exports limited numbers of GPIO. To get around this, I manually disable the check and force the MRAA uses mini board platform.

edison_front.png

• 3. Re: Disabling SPI CS1?
              PabloM_Intel

Hi Ye-Sheng,

This message is usually shown when you’re trying to export a GPIO pin that has been already exported. However, I’ve only seen this behavior when using the Arduino Expansion

Board. As you say, it looks like the MRAA library is working under Edison-Arduino conditions. Could you please provide the status debug for the GPIO? It should be in /sys/kernel/debug. I would suggest you to take a look at this article about MRAA on the Intel Edison, there might be some useful information. http://www.i-programmer.info/programming/hardware/8744-exploring-edison-mraa-gpio.html.

Also, take a look at this thread. Arfoll talks about using custom hardware with the boar, How read/write the edison GPIOs with mraa.

Regards,

Pablo

• 4. Re: Disabling SPI CS1?
                Ye-Sheng

Hi Pablo,

1. I can toggle edison's GPIO on my custom platform by writing /sys/class/gpio/gpioXXX directly (w/o MRAA library). What I'd like to know is the purpose of gpio214 tristate check in MRAA library.

2. I saw some post about CS0 is being used by ADC on Arduino board. Is this hard coded in the kernel? If yes, how can I fix this?

3. The SPI-5-CS1 issue is not platform dependent. I flashed the latest Yocto image on Intel, and test on intel miniboard, sparkfun base block. The results are the same. I look at /sys/class/gpio, gpio111 is not exported. However, if I try to export pin 111, linux returns "Device or resource busy".

The files in /sys/kernel/debug are following:

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 10.57.07 AM.png

Thanks,

Ye-Sheng

• 5. Re: Disabling SPI CS1?
                  PabloM_Intel

Hi Ye-Sheng,

These are the answers to your questions:

1. It’s possible that this is to check the current Mux state and determine if the pin is an input or an output. However, it would be better to confirm this with the MRAA library developers.
                  2. It would be necessary to make changes to the kernel to use CS0 as ADC. You should check the driver and determine how to modify it. There’s a possible solution for this that you can check in this thread https://communities.intel.com/message/370163.
                  3. I apologize, I wasn’t clear enough, please run the following cat /sys/kernel/debug/gpio.

Regards,

Pablo

• 6. Re: Disabling SPI CS1?
                    CMata_Intel

Hi Ye-Sheng,

I would like to know if you have been able to work on your board? Have you tried to work with the CS0?

Regards,

Charlie

• 7. Re: Disabling SPI CS1?
                      Ye-Sheng

Hi PabloM_Intel, CMata_Intel

2. I couldn't get this patch to compile successfully into the kernel. Would you mind to show me how to do this?

3. Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 10.23.28 AM.png

4. My current workaround is comment out the hard coded CS line in upstream_to_edison.patch line 17404. By doing this, I can use CS0, CS1 as regular GPIO and manually toggle these pins. However, there is another problem by doing this. SPI CLK toggles 1 extra cycle during transmission. If the CS line is controlled by hardware, the CS line will de-assert after that extra edge, since I manually control CS, it's kind of annoying... This behavior only happens when I'm sending 1 byte.

Ye-Sheng

• 8. Re: Disabling SPI CS1?
                        PabloM_Intel

Hi Ye-Sheng,

We are still investigating your case. As soon as we have more updates we will let you know.

Regards,

Pablo

• 9. Re: Disabling SPI CS1?
                          Ye-Sheng

Hi PabloM_Intel

Let me give you more detail on this:

1. We modified the kernel patch file, you can diff the file from here: IntelEdisonGateway/kernel_patch at master · lab11/IntelEdisonGateway · GitHub

2. SPI module has an extra clock cycle

TEK00000.PNG

CH0: CLK, CH1, MOSI (output from edison), CH2: MISO (output from my peripheral), CS line is not shown here. Since I'm manually controlling CS line, the extra clock cycle (very front of the capture) causes missing 1 bit in the end.

3. I couldn't get this patch to work. I tried add the file to SRC_URI variable, and paste the file into the kernel patch without success.

Ye-Sheng

• 10. Re: Disabling SPI CS1?
                            Ye-Sheng

Hi PabloM_Intel

Is there any update on this?

Ye-Sheng

• 11. Re: Disabling SPI CS1?
                              PabloM_Intel

Hi Ye-Sheng,

I apologize, I mistakenly marked this thread as solved while you still had questions.

Unfortunately, I was unable to add the patch file to the image.

Could you please tell me how did you try to add that last patch that you talked about in your last post? Are you following a guide or document to add the file?

Regards,

Pablo

• 12. Re: Disabling SPI CS1?
                                CMata_Intel

Hi Ye-Sheng,

How did you add the patch into the image? Did you have problems with this? You mentioned that it wasn’t successful, with this, do you mean that you receive error messages (if you do please post the errors) or that the behavior persists?

Regards,

Charlie

• 13. Re: Disabling SPI CS1?
                                  Ye-Sheng

Hi CMata_Intel

I wonder if you try to build this patch into kernel successfully?

What I tried was:

1. copy and paste the patch into giant kernel patch and recompile the kernel. The building process is successful, but I still cannot see spidev5.0

2. modify linux-yocto_3.10.bbappend, add the patch file with SRC_URI variable, the error message is following:

Log data follows:

| DEBUG: Executing shell function do_patch

| Deleted branch meta-temp (was f58e62b).

| [INFO] validating against known patches  (edison-standard-meta)

fatal: corrupt patch at line 111##############################################] (/)(150 %)

| ERROR. could not update git tree

| ERROR: Could not apply patches for edison.

| ERROR: Patch failures can be resolved in the devshell (bitbake -c devshell linux-yocto)

| WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.

Ye-Sheng

• 14. Re: Disabling SPI CS1?
                                    PabloM_Intel

Hi Ye-Sheng,

Have you checked the Yocto Project Development Manual? There’s a process which I believe is different to what you’re attempting, it consists in creating your own layer for edits/changes, creating the patch (which is already available), setting up the custom layer for the build and then build and modified kernel. I tried something similar to this but I might have left something out of the equation. Have you tried with this approach?

You can check all the steps in here http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.6.1/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#patching-the-kernel.

Regards,

Pablo