13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2016 1:56 PM by Amy_Intel

Matrix Storage Manager XPS 420

Johnyik

Hello there

One of two drives have failed in XPS 420 and am replacing both with identical to original size 750 GB. However, when new disk is physically added, Matrix Storage Manager option ROM v7.6.1.1001 replies when option 1 “Create volume” is selected: “[Error] Not enough available space to create volume”. This, regardless of physical installation. It appears this version was problematic, but can’t seem to find recommended method or release(s) by which to safely update. In other words, is it safe to move directly to 9.6.0.1014 from v7.x, or step to intermediate releases, and which is release is ultimately recommended?

Many thanks, Johnyik

• 1. Re: Matrix Storage Manager XPS 420
          Amy_Intel

Hello, Johnyik:

What RAID configuration do you have?

Regards,

• 2. Re: Matrix Storage Manager XPS 420
            Johnyik

Hi there Amy

Presently have MSM option ROM v7.6.1.1001 ICH9R configured as RAID 1 but suspect it may be corrupted; the only graphics appear at boot while there's no trace in Windows, nor is there a Win Gui (Vista). When first drive was seen as "degraded", second had already failed. I'm told 9.x is more stable. Do you know if it (raid) can simply be uninstalled from Bios without damaging existing data? I'm interested as well in what might be preferred as backup.

Regards

Johnyik  

• 3. Re: Matrix Storage Manager XPS 420
              Amy_Intel

When RAID volume is shown as failed status, this means no data and structure is available. I am afraid there is no recoverable option available. I would recommend installing an operating system on a different disk and try to see if you can access the information on the RAID 1 other than that if need the information maybe you can try with a third-party recovery software.

Regards,

• 4. Re: Matrix Storage Manager XPS 420
                Johnyik

RAID 0 shows "failed" while raid 1 says "degraded" but in fact this drive still working. Since copy/clone without pro tools doesn't appear an option (have tried Macrium), will network XPS box to copy files which will have to suffice. This is why I'm looking for a better alternative since newer software release such as 9.x are stable, I'm told but the update as-is might break it. Loss of data by accidentally breaking/updating the RAID software I'm told is likely.     

• 5. Re: Matrix Storage Manager XPS 420
                  Amy_Intel

With the RAID 1 configuration you should be able to re-build it but if your RAID 0 shows "failed" there no way to recover that information.

• 6. Re: Matrix Storage Manager XPS 420
                    Johnyik

Correct, but how to full copy or clone working drive as-is so raid can be updated or reinstalled?

• 7. Re: Matrix Storage Manager XPS 420
                      Amy_Intel

You could try to back up the RAID with the back up and restore from Windows, Back up and restore your files - Windows Help.

Regards,

• 8. Re: Matrix Storage Manager XPS 420
                        Johnyik

Hello Amy

I posted this to: Support > Servers > Is there a better or faster way to do this?

I understand this is an old post but I'm hoping a Raid aficionado will offer a solution to my dilemma. Have XPS 420 w/ Intel matrix storage manger. Option ROM v7.6.1.1001 ICH9R that I would simply like to revert to pre-raid A06 Bios firmware or remove so both attached drives can be seen in what's now Windows 7. Both currently appear as one C: drive. I'm hopeful someone here can direct me or provide link to safe removal procedure. Have a previous related question beginning at top of this post.

Many thanks,

Johnyik  

• 9. Re: Matrix Storage Manager XPS 420
                          Amy_Intel

Sure, I would encourage the community here to collaborate with previous experiences in regard to this matter.

Regards,

• 10. Re: Matrix Storage Manager XPS 420
                            Johnyik

Hi Amy, can I ask for your help with this?

I can't imagine anyone with better access to resources.

Regards and thanks

Johnyik

• 11. Re: Matrix Storage Manager XPS 420
                              Amy_Intel

Johnyik, could you please be more specific about what you are trying to do with the RAID? I did not understand your previous post.

Thank you.

Regards,

• 12. Re: Matrix Storage Manager XPS 420
                                Johnyik

Hi there

Have a Dell XPS 420 shipped with “Intel Matrix Storage Manager Option ROM v7.6.1.1001 ICH9R” as read from boot screen configured as RAID 1, originally with Vista Ultimate x86, although box is x64 capable. Only one of two hard disk could be seen from “Computer” while the same was true in “Windows Computer Management” as I assume they’re supposed to appear in this version of RAID.

When booted, RAID DOS screen still appears when selected in BIOS but RAID could not be seen through Windows OS. Since my original post, both of the drives failed and OS were replaced with Win 7 professional x64, with no backup scheme yet determined. So what I would like to do is configure without RAID and with correct BIOS, whatever recommended, so both attached hard drives and the two optical drives can again be seen in what's now Windows 7. Again, both hard drives currently appear as one C:\ drive, with no visible trace of either optical drive, although they function.

So essentially I would like to remove RAID from machine and need advice which BIOS release should be installed, or updated. This detail may be important: In Phoenix A06 BIOS boot at “Dell System XPS420” page, my present RAID options are: Drives> SATA Operation> “RAID Autodetect / ATA” or “RAID On”. Also the Dell driver re-install disc for 7 was not used so RAID would not be re-installed. No other Intel software was shipped with unit.

If I want to try a newer version in the future, can that be easily done? I’m told if RAID is re-installed in the future, the best release for this box is Matrix Storage Manager v9.6. Sorry about the quantity of questions. 

Many thanks for your thoughts

Johnyik

• 13. Re: Matrix Storage Manager XPS 420
                                  Amy_Intel

In regard to getting the right BIOS in order to remove RAID I would recommend contacting Support | Dell US   since this is an OEM system we cannot comment on it. Once you have the right BIOS version try accessing CTR+I and set your RAID configuration to non-RAID, this should will remove the hard driver from the RAID volume.