1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2016 11:39 AM by EstebanC_Intel

Issues with Intel NUC6i5SYK and Ubuntu Linux 15.10

phireph0x

Here are some of the issues witnessed with the NUC6i5SYK and Ubuntu 15.10:

1. Can't perform a regular (UEFI) boot into Ubuntu
        • Default boot shows a purple background and the display sleeps a few seconds later.  No keys or mouse movement wake it; a hard boot is required to reset.
        • I've installed the latest Intel Graphics for Linux drivers Intel Graphics Installer for Linux* 1.2.1 | 01.org, but the issue remains.
      2. Sound doesn't work.  I'm connecting to a Dell UltraSharp U3415W monitor with speakers via mini-displayport
      3. If machine goes into sleep/suspend, nothing will wake it up.  As mentioned in 1., only a hard boot will fix.
      4. Can't use Bluetooth keyboard (Apple Wireless Keyboard).  Tried adding multiple times but the pairing fails.  The Wireless Trackpad works fine.
      5. NUC doesn't support Bluetooth keyboards in the BIOS prior to OS load, so alternative keyboards are required if BIOS configuration or pre-OS load (i.e. GRUB menu) interaction is required.

By the way, I also have a Macbook Air that I use via mini-displayport with the Dell U3415W.  Sound works fine, Bluetooth Keyboard and Trackpad also work flawlessly.

Any guidance with some or all of these items would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Issues with Intel NUC6i5SYK and Ubuntu Linux 15.10
          ganboing

Strange. My NUC6i3SYK works fine with ubuntu 15.10 x64. I haven't seen any of the issue you encountered. Display adnd Suspend worked find. Also, I successfully pair my nuc via Bluetooth with my iPhone, forwarding the headset. Not sure about the Bluetooth keyboard. Haven't tested if the mini-dp has audio output.

You may try resetting the BIOS to default. Here is my configuration:

NUC6i3SYK

BIOS: 0033 (Latest)

Memory: Kingston HyperX HX421S13IB/8 (8G * 2)

SSD: Samsung 950 pro 256G

Besides, I have disabled Legacy boot in BIOS. Other BIOS settings stay the same as the default. You may also verify if your ubuntu is a x64 version rather than x86.

• 2. Re: Issues with Intel NUC6i5SYK and Ubuntu Linux 15.10
            JohanAR2

1. Are you 100% sure you have formatted/installed correctly? I have no problems booting UEFI into Arch.

2. I haven't tried sound over DP so I can't say if it's supposed to work, but have you verified that ALSA/Pulseaudio is configured right? Linux audio is one of those things that often cause problems.

3. AFAIK the only things that can wake the computer are: Power button, an USB device, wake-on-LAN and consumer IR (don't think the ite-cir kernel module supports it though). Have you tried using a HID-compatible wired USB keyboard and waking from suspend by pressing a key? If the computer doesn't wake from pressing the power button try upgrading to BIOS 0033.

4. Maybe this helps: Pairing an Apple Wireless Keyboard in Ubuntu 12.04 «

5. I don't think bluetooth is supposed to work before your OS is loaded.

• 3. Re: Issues with Intel NUC6i5SYK and Ubuntu Linux 15.10
              phireph0x

ganboing and JohanAR2, I appreciate the replies.

Here is my configuration:

NUC6i5SYK

BIOS:  0033 (latest)

Memory:  Crucial 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000) SODIMM 260-Pin (CT2K16G4SFD8213)

SSD:  Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB M.2 3.5-Inch SSD (MZ-N5E500BW)

Peripherals:  Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 Keyboard/Mouse combo

I've also disabled legacy boot in the BIOS.  I'm confident that I've installed Ubuntu 15.10 via UEFI and not legacy boot.  Also that it's 64-bit.  uname says:

Linux nuc 4.2.0-25-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 18 12:31:50 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm using LVM and encryption on the drive.  Otherwise it's a normal installation.  When my machine is asleep, the Power button doesn't wake it up.  I haven't tried a wired keyboard, as I don't actually have one around.  I have the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Trackpad (which I'm not using since the Keyboard doesn't pair via Bluetooth) and an old Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo (Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110) that connects via USB and using RF wireless.

• 4. Re: Issues with Intel NUC6i5SYK and Ubuntu Linux 15.10
                phireph0x

Regarding sleep/suspend, there's the power management suspend and the display sleep.  When I manually suspend in Ubuntu, both the display and the NUC go into sleep.  The blue LED on the front of the NUC turns orange and blinks.  If I press the power button on the NUC, it resumes and the LED turns blue again.  But my display never wakes up.  Clicking the mouse and hitting keys on the keyboard do nothing.  I must hard boot. 

• 5. Re: Issues with Intel NUC6i5SYK and Ubuntu Linux 15.10
                  ganboing

I suggest you upload a video on youtube demonstrate your BIOS settings and the problem you encountered.

• 6. Re: Issues with Intel NUC6i5SYK and Ubuntu Linux 15.10
                    phireph0x

I was able to get the Apple Wireless Keyboard to pair using the command line commands

bt-device -l

to find the MAC address of the keyboard and

bt-device -c MAC_ADDR

to connect to it.  It connected fine after confirming the PIN code.  Note that these tools are provided in the bluez-tools package.  To install:

sudo apt-get install bluez-tools

Inspiration from command line - Connect to a Bluetooth device via Terminal - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

• 7. Re: Issues with Intel NUC6i5SYK and Ubuntu Linux 15.10
                      phireph0x

So apparently the Bluetooth pairing via command line doesn't activate at the login screen, or even after logging in.  I must manually flip the connection to On after logging in.  Back to troubleshooting...

• 8. Re: Issues with Intel NUC6i5SYK and Ubuntu Linux 15.10
                        EstebanC_Intel

Hello, phireph0x:

Have you contacted the Ubuntu support regarding this? Since it is OS related, it would be better to ask the developers of the OS.

Also, there is a known situation that is being out for some time regarding waking up from sleep while using DP, that is related to the interface limitations.

This happens with different systems and different OS.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 9. Re: Issues with Intel NUC6i5SYK and Ubuntu Linux 15.10
                          JohanAR2

If you have a command line that will pair your device there are plenty of ways to do it automatically at startup. Getting bluetooth to work in BIOS is probably impossible, and getting it to work in Grub will be very difficult.

• 10. Re: Issues with Intel NUC6i5SYK and Ubuntu Linux 15.10
                            phireph0x

Thanks for the additional responses.

I haven't contacted Ubuntu but have searched their forums for this issue, which led to the possible fixes/workarounds that I describe in another thread

On NUC6i5SYK Ubuntu Linux 15.10 display goes to sleep immediately after splash screen appears

Esteban, you're saying the display sleep issue with DisplayPort is a known one with the NUC6i5SYK?   What's the ETA for the fix?

Lastly, what is it that you wanted me to test with respect to Bluetooth keyboard support in the NUC BIOS?

• 11. Re: Issues with Intel NUC6i5SYK and Ubuntu Linux 15.10
                              EstebanC_Intel

Hello, phireph0x:

The issue with DP/sleep issue can be found in different systems, meaning, desktop boards, pre-built systems and device that have that interface.

This is related to the DP per se, not the unit it uses, why? because I have seen that issue while using different OS and devices, the solution would be to test with different cables or disable sleep.

Have you tested with different Bluetooth keyboard and mouse kits? This is to check if the problem follows the device.

Regarding BIOS, it was to update to the latest version available.

Here you can find the BIOS file and instructions on how to update if necessary.

Download BIOS Update [SYSKLi35.86A]

BIOS Update Instructions for Boards and Kits

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 12. Re: Issues with Intel NUC6i5SYK and Ubuntu Linux 15.10
                                phireph0x

I've updated the BIOS to the latest revision, as mentioned in the other thread.  Was there some procedure that you wanted me to try to get a Bluetooth keyboard paired with the BIOS?

I use the same DisplayPort cable (actually DP to mini-DP) and same monitor with my Macbook Air with no issues.  So the display sleep issue is with the NUC, not the cable or monitor.

• 13. Re: Issues with Intel NUC6i5SYK and Ubuntu Linux 15.10
                                  EstebanC_Intel

Hello, phireph0x:

The only change that can be done in BIOS for the Bluetooth would be to enable or disable it. It is enabled in your system since you are able to use it within the OS.

Regarding the availability of Bluetooth during POST, this is currently being treated and a future BIOS update will be fixing this, right now there is no ETA for the release of that fix.

Please continue checking for future BIOS updates that could contain this fix.

About Bluetooth at login, my recommendation would be to check in the OS forums, I would say this is more like an OS config thing.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 14. Re: Issues with Intel NUC6i5SYK and Ubuntu Linux 15.10
                                    phireph0x

Thanks for the info, Esteban.  Glad to hear that Bluetooth POST support is planned for a future BIOS update and I'll be eagerly awaiting that.

1 2 Previous Next