1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 22, 2016 1:18 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

M.2 SSD's compatible with NUC5PPYH

er453r

I would like to swap my build-in Wi-Fi card with an SSD drive in NUC5PPYH, but there is still a lot of confusion about the M.2 standard...

Could you please post some M.2 SSD models confirmed to be compatible with NUC5PPYH? Can a M.2 SSD be used together with a SATA drive, or does it take over the SATA line?

Thanks for help!

• 1. Re: M.2 SSD's compatible with NUC5PPYH
          N.Scott.Pearson

There are two types of M.2 SSDs available out there, (1) those that rely on the SATA lane included in the M.2 connector (called the Host Controller Interface (HCI) type) and (2) those that rely on the 2/4 PCIe lane(s) included in the M.2 connector (called the Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe) type). The HCI type cannot be used in this particular NUC because the M.2 connector is of Type E and no SATA lane is included (only M.2 connectors of Types B, M or B+M include the SATA lane). The NVMe type could be used - if you can find one in the M.2 Type E 2230 form factor - but I have never seen one compatible with the Type E connector and, if they exist, I rather doubt that the BIOS on this NUC has been tested with it...

...S