Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

4690k integrated graphics display driver crashes and then recovers

vguzm1
Beginner

Hello! I have a 4690k and I'm just using the integrated graphics. I am getting constant display driver crashes under Windows 7 when I watch videos or any GPU intensive tasks (even youtube). I have tried every driver from my motherboard's page (it is an Asus z97-a motherboard) and every Intel generic driver up to the latest version.

I have seen the a thread in which a guy adds some more voltage to his graphics in order to fix the issue. My motherboard's overclocking software (AI suite 3) only overclocked the CPU, I have not tried overclocking it manually from the BIOS as I did not find any easy setting to just turn it up but I don't think I should be doing any overclocking just to fix this issue. Evey other driver is up to date, including chipset and all the Asus utilities such as the Probe Sense 2 driver. Even Windows 7 is up date as well. I have also tested all my RAM sticks and the problem persists.

There is also this registry fix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnf6BeviDVc Windows 10 - Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered - YouTube

I tried both values, 8 and 10 under all possible drivers (manufacturer's and Intel's), the problem persists. Under GNU/Linux the problem is non existent as far as I have tested, but I do really need Windows for my work. Is this a known issue? Surely I don't need to buy a dedicated GPU just to make this problem go away.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, automat:

Let's verify the following:

1. Make sure you have the latest BIOS in your system (double check how to perform this on motherboard's website).

2. Manually install the graphics driver for your device.

3. Make sure you are using compatible RAM with these specs DDR3-1333/1600, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.5V

4. Test the system with the drivers below, select the correct OS version (32/64-bit).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25588/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-28-4332- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7/8.1* [15.36.28.4332]

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005474.html How to Manually Install a Driver in Microsoft Windows 7* for Graphics...

The registry change done in the video could be tested, however it is not fully recommended to "mess" with registry keys.

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
vguzm1
Beginner

1-I'm already on the latest BIOS version.

2-I will try that, by doing a manual install from the device manager.

3-My RAM is 1600.

I already tested the registry fix. It makes the crashes happen less frequently but they still happen. I tested my system under Debian and it works perfectly, that means that there is a problem with the driver and not with my hardware.

0 Kudos
vguzm1
Beginner

I manually installed the driver you linked, the crashes happen less often than with older versions from my motherboard's manufacturer but the crashes STILL happen specially on video related tasks. I deleted the registy fix as well.

Can you confirm if the engineering team is aware of the root of this issue?

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, automat:

Sure I can send this for review.

I would like to gather some information from your system to do this.

Is this happening while using specific applications or programs?

Please provide me with all the information in this link:

Also I would be needed the report provided by the Intel® System Support Utility, please add as an attachment this report in your reply.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
vguzm1
Beginner

Thanks for letting me know that this will passed along. I could not run the SSU, it said I needed administrator rights. I'm administrator though.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Display driver crashes and then recovers

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

Sometimes, about 50% as it can be very random.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Core i5 4690k

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

n/a (integrated graphics only)

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

EFP Acer x203h, EFP Acer al1714

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

4GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

cables: dvi and vga.

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

<td style="border: 0px solid black; padding: 0 5.4pt 0 5.4pt; border-right: s...
0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, automat:

Thank you for the information provided.

I will be needing some reports then if the SSU was not available for your system.

1. dxdiag report

2. msinfo32 report

How to get them?

1. Press the Windows key + "R".

2. Type "msinfo32" and hit enter.

3. Go to file, save.

For dxdiag report would be the same but in step 3 just click in "save all information".

Please run these reports and attach them in your reply.

If you require any further information or support feel free to advise us in your reply.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
vguzm1
Beginner

Here they are. Thanks for your help EstebanC.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, automat:

Thank you for the information provided, I will be providing with my outcome with this situation.

Regards,

Esteban

0 Kudos