3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2010 1:02 PM by yungchin

Anyone managed to boot D510MO from GPT?

mgatsev

Greetings,

I am trying to install freebsd with zfs-on-root using the excellent mfsBSD live iso. I have successfully installed it in my Virtualbox test setup which boots fine (using two 8GB virtual disks in zfs mirrror).

The real system has two 1,5TB disks (ST31500541AS) and the bios does not to boot from them, just skips to PXE boot. I have also installed the latest bios available - no joy. I have tried a similar install with Debian Squeeze using GPT - same story. I am sure that the disks are fine. When i dd the first few megabytes from them into the virtual disks - the boot loader shows up (of course it can't boot further). Using mbr, the disks boot fine. I am using the SATA disks in AHCI mode.

Has anyone managed to install any other OS using GPT partitions on large drives? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Anyone managed to boot D510MO from GPT?
          mgatsev

After many experiments i found that this board's bios REQUIRES that there is a mbr partition marked as ACTIVE. It doesn't try to boot, when there is no ACTIVE parititon on the disk! This may make sense for old mbr, but makes me think that GPT is not supported at all on this motherboard.

• 2. Re: Anyone managed to boot D510MO from GPT?
            mgatsev

Update: i have finally managed to boot my Freebsd on zfs root using a GPT formated disk! The trick was to set the partition in the protective mbr as active. However not all tools will allow you to modify this mbr. The freebsd fdisk did the trick for me.

Cheers!

• 3. Re: Anyone managed to boot D510MO from GPT?
              yungchin

mgatsev, thanks for coming back to post this solution! I would have never thought of trying such a thing.

I had exactly this problem when setting up Ubuntu Server 10.04 on the D510MO board. Using SystemRescueCd, toggling a partition boot flag in parted, which shows the GPT partitions, didn't help, but toggling the boot flag using fdisk, which only shows the single (MBR?) partition, did the trick.

Intel engineers: hopefully this issue can be fixed in a future BIOS release?