Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

Onboard I217-V extremely slow upload transfer speeds - Windows 10 PC

DGeor4
Beginner

Hello,

I have an onboard I217-V network adapter in my ASUS Z87 SABERTOOTH motherboard and I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 (version 1511). Everything was working perfectly until one day I noticed that playback from a media player accessing shared content from my PC was virtually impossible. After trying a few stuff, I noticed that the outgoing network traffic from my PC was extremely slow. Transfer speed from my PC with I217-V to my laptop i.e. is as low as 11Kb/s - 25Kb/s. Switching from wired connection to wireless my PC network upload speeds improve dramatically. Internet upload and download speeds are not affected at all. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network adapter using the latest drivers (20.4.1) as well as older versions and even the recommended driver from the motherboards manufacturer site. I don't understand what went wrong with my network speeds and/or configuration. I still can't don't know if it is a hardware problem, a driver problem or an OS problem?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

Dimitris

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Dimitris,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

I understand you have tried different driver versions to no avail. You may try to configure the adapter's http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005593.html advance settings.

Turn off or disable the following:

1. Performance options - Adaptive inter-frame spacing

2. Performance options - Interrupt moderation rate

3. ALL TCP/IP offloading options

See if there is improvement with your network connection. If no improvement, try below:

1. Increase the Transmit Descriptors buffer size.

2. Increase the Receive Descriptors buffer size.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005811.html Tuning Intel® Ethernet Adapter Throughput Performance

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
DGeor4
Beginner

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried the settings you suggested but nothing changed. The problem appeared around the time the 1511 Windows 10 update was installed. So I'm mostly suspecting this is an OS generated problem maybe in combination with my nic's drivers. I might be able to test my pc with an INTEL PRO/1000CT PCI-E adapter later this week and see how it goes. Any further suggestions are welcome, although I'm keeping my hopes down for a solution as my problem doesn't seem to be a common one.

Thanks,

Dimitris

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Dimitris,

I see.

Since this is an integrated network card, you may try to check -

1. if there are any BIOS, driver updates for your board model. Especially that you just updated to Windows* 10.

2. uninstall and reinstall your network card's driver - try using driver/software provided by Asus*

3. Try reinstalling Windows* 10, if you can.

In normal circumstances, increasing the transmit buffers should fix slow upload speed that you are experiencing.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
DGeor4
Beginner

Hi Sandy,

Just a quick update. Tried an UBUNTU live cd today and network upload speeds were fast and normal as intended. So I'm definitely narrowing the problem down to Windows 10 not working with my onboard NIC especially after the latest build update. I will post an update when I have the new network card in my hands. I was really hoping for a solution either from Microsoft or Intel cause I really want to avoid reinstalling Windows 10 at the moment.

Thank you,

Dimitris

0 Kudos
DGeor4
Beginner

Hi again,

I was finally able to resolve my slow upload network speed problem. It seems that a network prioritization program (ASUS Network iControl) bundled with my motherboard somehow started causing the problem maybe in conjunction with the latest Windows 10 build update I mentioned above. The funny thing is I tried to completely uninstall it, because I never use it anyway, and this broke my networking altogether. Only after the successful reinstallation of the ASUS Network iControl program (I had a couple of unsuccessful attempts too!!!) was my networking up and running again and the slow upload problem magically disappeared at last. Of course now I'm stuck with this program which caused me the problem in the first place, I don't use it, but can't uninstall it either. Thanks a lot for your time and effort to help me resolve this issue.

Sincerely,

Dimitris

0 Kudos