8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 5:05 PM by mikec_intel

Intel NUC NUC6I3SYH no video after attempting to update BIOS

JeffG01

Configured with 8gb Kingston HyperX Impact memory and a Samsung 850 EVO m.2 SSD. I had Windows 10 installed and running but was having problem with it failing to come out of sleep mode. I tried installing the Intel Ready Mode drivers and had tried a couple changes in BIOS. I tried installing the latest BIOS to see if it would help any. I used the Windows installer. It asked to reboot system and then went to a black screen and never came back. Let it set a long time and nothing ever happened. Tried cycling power and haven't been able to get anything since.

I've tried moving the BIOS jumper to the second position to get into recovery but I still don't get anything on screen.

Removed jumper completely and still nothing. Put the SY0028.BIO file on a USB drive and tried powering it on with that inserted and the jumper removed to try the BIOS recovery and still nothing.

The system acts like it's booting normally. I get the blue power light and no error blinks. I've tried two different monitors connected through a mini-DP to DP cable, HDMI to HDMI, and HDMI to DVI.

Is there anything else I can do or will I need RMA?

• 1. Re: Intel NUC NUC6I3SYH no video after attempting to update BIOS
          rane114

This sounds awfully familiar to my problem. I have the NUC6I5SYH with Corsair Memory 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 SODIMM 2133MHz C15 Memory Kit (CMSO8GX4M2A2133C15) and Samsung 850 EVO Series MZ-75E500B 500GB.

The computer worked perfectly at first. Installed Windows 10 64bit and the latest chipset, graphics, LAN and audio drivers from intel. I also installed AIDA64 to monitor the temperature, which I usually do when buying a new computer. Never saw the temperature rise above 55°C (131°F) under load.'

Then the problem started.

I left the computer on today and went to work. When I came home, 9 hours later, it was still running but no signal. I turned it off by holding the power button and booted it up again, still no signal and fan speed sounded really high, blue light on with no error blinks.

Rebooted over and over again and suddenly, after the 15th try, the fan speed sounded slower and I got a picture on the screen. I got past POST but Windows 10 didn't start. Instead I got a big sad face on the screen and it said "BAD_POOL_HEADER". System automatically restarted, then I got another sad face saying "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED". On the off-chance that I actually get a picture on the screen now, and I let it just try and boot, it's just restarting and switching between the two error messages until I no longer have a signal again. I can get into BIOS by the way (when I have a signal) and I can stay there for as long as I like without loosing the signal. But I don't know what to do in BIOS to resolve this. I've tried everything I can think of.

Bootable USB and reinstalling WIndows 10 = Didn't work, still sad faces.

Removing the jumper and using bootable USB for recovery and BIOS update SY0028.BIO = When I finally got a picture on the display I was able to run it, but it didn't resolve the problem.

Switching the RAM around, tried every combination, even with no RAM at all = no luck.

Removing the SSD (desperation) = nope.

I've tried a total of 3 different monitors and one TV and a couple of HDMI cables. I have not tried the mini-DP however.

I have no idea how to move forward. It is extremely tiresome to reboot the computer 15-25 times before I can get a picture on the screen.

After reading NUC6i3SYH Random freezes I found that this might be a RAM problem. I've ordered the Kingston HyperX 2*4GB, HX421S13IBK2/8. Let's see how it goes.

• 2. Re: Intel NUC NUC6I3SYH no video after attempting to update BIOS
            JeffG01

It sounds like you're doing a little better than me if you can occasionally get video. Doesn't seem to matter how many times I try, I just get a black screen.

• 3. Re: Intel NUC NUC6I3SYH no video after attempting to update BIOS
              mikec_intel

Hi JeffG01 and rane114,

Try to reset BIOS settings to default. Use 1 memory stick, BIOS configuration jumper on pins 1 and 2.

Press and hold the power button for 3 seconds then release it. Select the option to get into the BIOS and press F9 then F10. With headphones after the 3 beep release the button.

Verify memory specifications, they should work as DDR4 2133MHz at 1.25v.

NUCs come with ultra low power processors and it is not recommended to modify BIOS settings.

Regards,
              Mike C

• 4. Re: Intel NUC NUC6I3SYH no video after attempting to update BIOS
                rane114

Thanks for the reply mikec!

I actually have tried exactly the things you mentioned. I just forgot to specify it in my post.

However the NUC is acting totally different from what you're saying when having the jumper on pins 1 & 2 and holding the power button and releasing it after 3 seconds or 3 beeps. First of all I can never hear any beeps, I've tried 3 pair of headphones. But what happens is that the blue light will stay lit for 5 seconds, no beeps, then suddenly the light will turn orange and the NUC will shut down. No signal during all of this either.

The memory I have now, CMSO8GX4M2A2133C15, is DDR4 2133MHz at 1,2V.

Prior to the NUC acting up I have not even been inside the BIOS and all I have done after the problems started was to do a recovery and BIOS update to SY0028.BIO.

• 5. Re: Intel NUC NUC6I3SYH no video after attempting to update BIOS
                  mikec_intel

Hi JeffG01 and rane114,

Please try to downgrade the BIOS version to previous version using F7 method. BIOS jumper on pins 1 and 2.

Regards,
                  Mike C

• 6. Re: Intel NUC NUC6I3SYH no video after attempting to update BIOS
                    JeffG01

I've tried it with the SY0024.BIO file on a USB drive, but I still don't have any video at all. I just get a solid blue light when powering it on. I tried it with the jumper in both positions and removed completely and didn't get anything different in any of them. I plugged in headphones but didn't hear anything holding the button down.

• 7. Re: Intel NUC NUC6I3SYH no video after attempting to update BIOS
                      rane114

Hi mikec,

Downgrade doesn't do any difference, same problem. I've also tried 0033.BIO, same problem.

I received the new RAM today, the Kingston HX421S13IBK2/8 that a lot of people said to be working fine and solved their problem, which is great. But didn't change anything for me.

I'm giving up. Gonna return this unit, get my money back.

• 8. Re: Intel NUC NUC6I3SYH no video after attempting to update BIOS
                        mikec_intel

Hi rane114,

I regret the inconvenience. You can contact us using the link Contact Support

Regards,
                        Mike C