1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 1:09 PM by Amy_Intel

How does CPU frequency/TDP work for Intel NUCs?

ron8575

I keep reading CPU frequency is often determined by the amount of workload being processed, and I'm fine with that! But how does it relate to TDP? Is it actually based more on workload or TDP? And if it's primarily based on TDP, then does that mean getting more ventilation and cooling might result in better overall CPU frequencies on the NUC?

Also, since I have a D54250XXX and already kind of complaining about performance, my kit ships with a 2.5" mechanical drive inside and the thing may be spreading a lot of heat internally. So perhaps getting rid of mechanical HDDs may decrease temperature of internal components including the CPU itself?

I'm talking about overall CPU speeds during conventional usage, whether a decrease in temperature inside the little case might yield tiny benefits in performance.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How does CPU frequency/TDP work for Intel NUCs?
          Amy_Intel

Hello, ron8575:

In this case CPU frequency is based on the workload though is related to the TDP on NUC's there is no power supply but there is an adapter which provides power to the components. TDPs are often specified for families of processors, with the low-end models usually using significantly less power than those at the high end of the family. CPU frequency is more related to the Intel Turbo Boost and the Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology, these two features are used based on workload put on the processor.

Regards,

Amy.