Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14505 Discussions

Overclocking Xeon E5-1650v3

RKenn4
Beginner

We recently purchased an HP Z440 with a Xeon E5-1650v3 processor for use in out engineering dept. Yesterday we were able to overclock it to 4.2 ghz using the Extreme Tuning Utility. When the user started up this morning, the controls were back to default and most of them are now greyed out.

Any ideas how I can get this working?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Please bear in mind that Intel does not provide assistance for overclocking. I would recommend waiting for another community member to post similar experience.

Allan.

0 Kudos
AMohr1
Novice

Doubling the core frequency increases the heat loss by the factor 4.

I really can´t recommend it.

To improve the system performance, check the Bios settings: virtualization ON.

Can you post the hardware config of your computer?

It is possible to improve the system performance in many different ways.

E.g.: increase RAM size, add SSD, add better graphics card.

0 Kudos
ppara5
Valued Contributor I

ArminM is correct. Going to 4.2 means a 0.4 increase from the default maximum, which is a lot. ArminM's last sentence is good advice and I would add a good aftermarket cooler from Noctua. Go into BIOS and enter F9 which will reset all values to default. If you continue to use XTU, only bump it up 0.1 and use it for a long time to see if it is stable, but only after adding a better cooler. Heat is not your friend.

0 Kudos
RKenn4
Beginner

To be clear...

We had this running for over one day at 4.2ghz and the temp did not go past 55 C.

Something happened that reset the Extreme Tuning Utility to defaults, now settings that were available are now greyed out including the multiplier.

0 Kudos
KTran10
New Contributor I

Intel Xeon does not allow overclock, it seems there is a glitch in XTU, which did not check CPU capability before it run. You might get lucky when running XTU and overclock CPU on first boot.

0 Kudos
Beth_G_Intel
Employee

This is incorrect. I own this processor and can confirm it's unlocked.

0 Kudos
Beth_G_Intel
Employee

What's the motherboard? And what's the XTU version?

0 Kudos
RKenn4
Beginner

It is an Intel made board built for HP and the lates version of XTU.

0 Kudos