10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 1:42 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i5SYK / BIOS 0028 / Windows 10 boot issue when disabling Infrared and Bluetooth

TheWombat

I have my NUC6i5SYK with BIOS 0028 and with Windows 10 64bit PRO installed. All is working fine with the relevant drivers from the Intel website installed. However as I don't use Bluetooth and Infrared I thought I would disable those in the BIOS.

When I disable Bluetooth and Infrared in the bios and save, the NUC will reboot but then hang on the screen that says "F2 = Enter Setup / F7 = Update BIOS / F10 = Boot Menu"

If I then switch the NUC off and back on a message along the lines of "Failed to boot, press Y to enter setup" is displayed. If I press 'Y', access the BIOS, re-enable Bluetooth and Infrared then the NUC will reboot back into Windows correctly.

For now I have therefore disabled Bluetooth and Infrared in the Windows Device Manager instead. I believe the issue may be more with the Infrared disabling as I did undertake some troubleshooting and at one point managed to boot with Bluetooth disabled and Infrared enabled. However on then making both Bluetooth and Infrared disabled the NUC failed to boot.

Hardware Build

• Intel NUC6i5SYK BIOS0028, all latest drivers from Intel website as of 1/15/2016
      • Kingston HX421S13IBK2/8 (2 x 4GB RAM)
      • Samsung EVO M.2. 128GB MZ-N5E120BW

I don't plan to undertake further troubleshooting as I don't want to risk having to do a complete reset and reinstall, however thought I would mentioned the issue in case others have the same problem.

Alex

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYK / BIOS 0028 / Windows 10 boot issue when disabling Infrared and Bluetooth
          SystemSecurityTechnology

What are your boot priority settings in BIOS?

UEFI?

Legacy?

Both?

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYK / BIOS 0028 / Windows 10 boot issue when disabling Infrared and Bluetooth
            SystemSecurityTechnology

I had no problems when I disabled Bluetooth, Infrared, and other security sensitive settings BEFORE OS install.  However, NUC booted to a black screen when I attempted to deselect Virtualization Technology setting AFTER installing the OS.  This leads me to believe that Intel Virtual BIOS is not easily modified AFTER OS install without causing significant problems to the bootloader.

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYK / BIOS 0028 / Windows 10 boot issue when disabling Infrared and Bluetooth
              TheWombat

My bios settings for the boot priority are:

UEFI: ticked

UEFI: SATA: PORT 2: Windows Boot Manager: PAR 1: OS Bootloader

Legacy: ticked

SATA: Port 2: Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 120GB: Part 0: Boot drive

LAN: IBA CL Slot 00FE v0104

You may well be right about the Visual BIOS being sensitive to changes after OS install. At least in the interim my workaround is to disable the items in the OS.

Alex

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYK / BIOS 0028 / Windows 10 boot issue when disabling Infrared and Bluetooth
                cneeper

I've run into the exact same problem as the OP:  I had disabled Bluetooth and IR in the firmware config and experienced the hang at the "F2/F7/F10" splash screen. Since I intend to roll a lot of these NUCs out to customers, I took some time to define the problem a little further:

My Hardware Build:

• Intel NUC6i5SYK (NUC6i5SYB board) BIOS0028, all latest drivers from Intel website as of 2/18/2016
                • Kingston 8GB RAM  (p/n: KVR21S15D8/8)
                • Intel 535 Series M.2 180GB MLC SSD  (p/n: SSDSCKJW180H601)

My general (final) firmware config:

• UEFI boot only; BIOS compatibility disabled
                • Fast Boot: disabled
                • Failsafe Watchdog: enabled
                • All boot devices disabled except: Windows partition, PXE Network Boot, Optical drive
                • Boot order is:  1) Windows partition, 2) Optical drive, 3) PXE
                • Secure Boot was not enabled during any of my tests
                • Audio, HDMI/DP Audio: both enabled
                • LAN, WLAN: both enabled
                • NFC, SD Card, IR: all disabled
                • Intel VT and VT-d: both enabled
                • I also played a lot with most of the firmware settings, but nothing seemed to affect the hang other than enabling/disabling BT. Caveat, though: I didn't explicitly test each of the settings I played with for the hang problem. It wasn't practical to test every possible combination of settings, of course.

My installed operating system:

• Very clean Windows 10 Pro 64-bit install plus all latest drivers from Intel's website as of 2/18/2016.

My observations:

1. If you wait long enough, it will eventually boot into Windows (very consistently ~17.25 minutes from "F2/F7/F10" to "Windows" on my test NUC).
                2. It's the Bluetooth setting, specifically. Disabling BT in the firmware config will cause the hang. Enabling BT allows the boot to proceed normally.
                3. Neither disabling BT in Windows Device Manager nor uninstalling the Windows drivers affects the boot hang. It's only the firmware config setting that affects it.
                4. With BT disabled in the firmware and Fast Boot enabled, the Windows logo will actually get displayed and it'll hang there for the ~17.25 minutes before continuing.
                5. It's not the firmware itself that's hanging. It's the Windows operating system. Windows is getting stuck REALLY early in its boot process. It hangs earlier than the point at which it displays the little spinning circle, which happens pretty immediately during a normal boot. But it's actually launching the boot loader from the SSD at this point. So the implication is that it's the Windows operating system that's hanging up because of something it doesn't like about the firmware. I tested this theory by booting a Clonezilla boot CD (the only UEFI bootable CD I happened to have handy). It booted without the ~17 minute delay. So the firmware itself isn't hanging. It's Windows. (But that doesn't necessarily mean that it's Microsoft's fault.)

Regardless of what the root cause of the hang or what the actual solution is, the work-around seems to be to leave Bluetooth enabled in the firmware and if you must disable it for a Windows OS, do it in Windows Device Manager.

Final note:  I've already spent hours on this. I'm not going any further. But if someone else wants to pick up the mantle, perhaps some Windows debug/troubleshooting could yield some more info. Might be interesting to know what Windows is doing when it hangs. And why ~17.25 minutes?

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYK / BIOS 0028 / Windows 10 boot issue when disabling Infrared and Bluetooth
                  mikec_intel

Hi folks,

I tested this NUC with the latest BIOS version 0033 and I am not getting any BSOD. I have tested the NUC with Windows® 10 64bit.

Latest BIOS version: 0033

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25696/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-

Regards,
                  Mike C

• 6. Re: NUC6i5SYK / BIOS 0028 / Windows 10 boot issue when disabling Infrared and Bluetooth
                    VDGAMA

Hello Alex,

I have also the same problem as you.

When I disable Bluetooth in BIOS, I Have the following message during the boot of the NUC (Just before windows starts to load) :

BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attemp(s).

Possible causes include recent hardware changes.

Performance options or recent hardware change.

Press 'Y' to enter setup or N, to cancel, etc .....

etc ...

If Bluetooth stays enabled, no problem, I already try different BIOS Version "24, 28, 33 and 36" and the issue was always happening.

I also ask to Intel to perform an warranty return, they accepted and I still have this problem with the new NUC.

So I'm wondering if you resolved your issue ?

Thank you,

Best Regards.

Paul.

• 7. Re: NUC6i5SYK / BIOS 0028 / Windows 10 boot issue when disabling Infrared and Bluetooth
                      fryrpc

I have lots of the options disabled in the BIOS - Bluetooth being one of them.

I think my install went something like this - BIOS defaults - Install WIndows 10 off UEFI USB stick - Install all drivers - Decided to disable things I am not using in the BIOS, as the NUC is mounted behind the TV - Disabled options in the BIOS (Legacy Boot, Audio, Bluetooth, LAN, SD Card, NFC, IR, Charging Port - Booted into Windows and uninstalled from Programs and Features this components I was not using.

• 8. Re: NUC6i5SYK / BIOS 0028 / Windows 10 boot issue when disabling Infrared and Bluetooth
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi all,

There is a new BIOS version: 0039 Let us know how it works. Now, it is better to keep UEFI and Legacy Boot options enable. 6gen NUCs are new but there are many old devices in the market that will not work with UEFI.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25864/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89188

Regards,
                        Mike C

• 9. Re: NUC6i5SYK / BIOS 0028 / Windows 10 boot issue when disabling Infrared and Bluetooth
                          VDGAMA

Hello,

I've upgraded to Bios 39, and it seems now the issue is resolved !

Thanks for the advice.

Best Regards.

Paul..

• 10. Re: NUC6i5SYK / BIOS 0028 / Windows 10 boot issue when disabling Infrared and Bluetooth
                            Intel Corporation
                            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi VDGAMA,

Thank you for your update.