3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2016 7:43 AM by rob.woolley

Can't get my intel galileo gen 2 board to run stand alone

wcs2013

I'm using the Wind River Helix App Cloud to test a simple 'blink led' program.  I can get it to build and run on my board, but when I cycle power or reboot, the program is lost and doesn't run.  I'm booting the OS from the micro SD card.  I'm also using the FTDI connection to communicate with the board.  I also noticed that with the CONFIG_GDB_SERVER=y, the board boots up and stops on the 'main' entry point which requires me to press the 'continue' button to get the program running again.  So I set this to CONFIG_GDB_SERVER=n which runs the program automatically when I press the 'Run Project' button.  However, this did not make any difference to the program getting lost during a power cycle or reboot.  How do I make the program boot on the Gen 2 stand alone?

• 1. Re: Can't get my intel galileo gen 2 board to run stand alone
          rob.woolley

On your SD card you will find 2 files named bootapp.sys and BOOTIA32.EFI under EFI/BOOT.  If you download the zephyr.elf from Helix App Cloud, delete the original bootapp.sys, and rename zephyr.elf to bootapp.sys, you should successfully make the program boot on the Intel Galileo Gen 2 standalone.

As you already discovered,  disabling CONFIG_GDB_SERVER is a necessary step in order to ensure that you see the console output directly over the serial cable.  Otherwise the output will look like this ending with the GDB Server handshake request:

Copyright 2012-2015 Wind River Systems

Wind River UEFI Stage 1 Bootstrap (32-bit version)

Built on: Sep 18 2015/13:47:34

ACPI 1.0 table at: 0F01E000

ACPI 2.0 table at: 0F01E014

Loading from disk...

Opening [\EFI\BOOT\bootapp.sys]... Read 557244 bytes.

Loading 32-bit ELF image.

Total memory: 265023488 bytes

CSM video not available.

Booting...

Jumping to boot image at 0x8100000...

$T11thread:01#c9

I suggest disabling it by modifying prj_x86.conf and replacing CONFIG_GDB_SERVER=y with # CONFIG_GDB_SERVER is not set

• 2. Re: Can't get my intel galileo gen 2 board to run stand alone
            wcs2013

Ok, after several attempts to replace the bootapp.sys with the zephyr.elf, I finally got it.  I had to RENAME the zephyr.elf to bootapp.sys to get it to work.  Simply deleting the bootapp.sys and copying the zephyr.elf in the EFI/BOOT directory did not work.  But as you mentioned above, putting the # in front of CONFIG_GDB_SERVER has to be done for it to boot stand-alone.  Thank you rob.woolley!!!

• 3. Re: Can't get my intel galileo gen 2 board to run stand alone
              rob.woolley

Glad to here that it worked for you!  Sorry for the confusion about replacing bootapp.sys with zephyr.elf.   I will go back and updated my earlier post to make it more clear.