7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 9:46 AM by EstebanC_Intel

Stuck at half monitor's native resolution

zolcos

Monitor: HP ZR30w

Motherboard: Gigabyte H87N-WIFI

CPU: an i3-4330 having Intel HD Graphics 4600

No separate GPU

The monitor has DVI and DP inputs. The motherboard has DVI and HDMI outputs. The native resolution of the monitor is 2560x1600. I first tried connecting DVI and saw that the max resolution I could use was 1280x800. I tried the bios and driver updates Gigabyte provides for the board, ran Intel's driver scan and update program, and installed HP's "driver" for the monitor. Both Windows and the Intel graphics settings app still max out at 1280x800. I thought maybe it's a limitation of DVI so I used a HDMI to DP adapter (StarTech HD2DP, a powered adapter that claims 4K capability) but it too only goes up to 1280x800.

I read that you can use CustomModeApp to force an arbitrary resolution. I found this program on my computer but when I launch it, the Select Display menu is empty -- no displays are listed at all. If I start to type a number in either custom resolution field, it crashes.

I found a way to get to a Custom Resolution tab of the Intel graphics control panel and the display is available, but trying to add 2560x1600@60 I get the error "the custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity". I can add 2560x1600@30 but trying to actually switch to it in the general tab always fails, I just get a black screen for a few seconds and then I'm back to 1280x800.

Is there any way I can drive this monitor at 2560x1600 with this particular computer? If not, what part of my setup is the problem?

required stuff:

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

see above

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?
      If you can offer a % rate please do.

always

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

custom

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
      ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
      LFP
      = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
      EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

see above

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
      ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

see above

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

image attached

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (6.1, build 7601)

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

n/a

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

single

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

see above

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

Everything is plugged in

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
      A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. see above

• 1. Re: Stuck at half monitor's native resolution
          EstebanC_Intel

Hello, zolcos:

Have you tested a HDMI to DP cable? No adapters?

Also, have you tested the drivers directly from the Graphics engine Intel® HD Graphics 4600?

Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7/8.1* [15.36.28.4332]

Regards,

Esteban C

• 2. Re: Stuck at half monitor's native resolution
            zolcos

I had not tried installing the individual driver directly. I installed the file in your link, and now both the windows resolution dialog and the intel graphics control panel offer resolutions up to 2560x1600!

But trying to switch to it in either window just gives a black screen and after a few seconds it reverts to 1280x800.

In particular, in the intel control panel when I select 2560x1600, before applying it I notice the only refresh rate available under that resolution is 30hz when there should be a 60hz.

I have not tried a regular hdmi-dp cable because every one I saw either claims a max resolution of 1920x1200 or is only for connecting DP out to an HDMI monitor not the other way around. My browsing indicates that connecting HDMI out to DP display at 2K requires a powered adapter.

• 3. Re: Stuck at half monitor's native resolution
              EstebanC_Intel

Hello:

I would like to verify what is the DVI cable used (DVI single link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 1920 x 1200, while a DVI dual link can display a resolution of 2560 x 1600)

I have encountered that straight connections will always be the best way to get the best performance from your display.

Are you able to test the resolution using maybe another monitors/tvs that you can have straight conections?3

Also, I would like you to check this FAQ regarding multiple displays configurations.

Configuration 3 Displays FAQ for Graphics Drivers

Regards,

Esteban C

• 4. Re: Stuck at half monitor's native resolution
                zolcos

It is a dual link DVI cable. However the motherboard's spec says its DVI port can output a max of 1920x1200

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4601#sp

This monitor has no scaler so it can only display 2560x1600 or 1280x800. This means I am already getting the best this hardware can do on DVI regardless of the cable.

The motherboard spec does say the HDMI port is capable of 2560x1600@60 thankfully.

I also found a HDMI to DVI-D/DL cable but I get the same result as the HDMI to DisplayPort adapter, max is 1280x800.

As for testing, I do not have any other monitor capable of 2560x1600. However, I have been able to get 2560x1600 on this monitor over DP using a different computer so I think the monitor is fine.

What part of that FAQ should I check? It all seems to be dealing with multiple display configurations and I am only using one display.

• 5. Re: Stuck at half monitor's native resolution
                  EstebanC_Intel

Hello, zolcos:

What is the maximum resolution supported in three independent displays configuration? Would be the FAQ I wanted you to check.

I am sorry to hear about the limitations for the interfaces available for video.

If you require any further information or support, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 6. Re: Stuck at half monitor's native resolution
                    zolcos

The FAQ seems to indicate that the resolution I want to run is well within the capabilities of my Intel HD Graphics.

I do require further information. Since the intel graphics, motherboard hdmi, monitor, cables, and adapters I have all say that they are capable of at least the resolution I want to run, then what is going wrong in my setup to limit me to a lower resolution?

• 7. Re: Stuck at half monitor's native resolution
                      EstebanC_Intel

Hello, zolcos:

Have you tested a DP to HDMI cable?

Since the both are able to get the desired resolution, it could help.

Regards,

Esteban C