7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 3:40 PM by mikec_intel

Strange system crashes

MGK

My NUC has been riddled with problems since I got it.  When my displays come on after sleeping, windows that were open have the tabs along the top blacked out. If I run the mouse over this area, the tabs get drawn back in in the areas where I have placed the cursor.  Sometimes these windows won't close and I need to kill them in task manager.

Another issue that I get upon waking is an error in the WinEdt app: "Access violation at address 0000000000724DD5 in module 'WinEdt.exe'.  Read address 0000000000000008."

Prior to changing my display cables, my system would go to a single-screen configuration after waking.

When I open any MS office product, my dropbox client crashes.

I have never seen this problem on any of my other computers that are similarly configured.  Since I have had this problem with two operating systems on my NUC and have the most recent drivers (note that the issue with the tabs region being blackened has gotten better over time), I am concerned that the problem may reside in the hardware.  What should be my trouble-shooting procedure to figure out what is wrong?  It's a bad sign when a new system doesn't work right out the box.  It almost seems like the issue may be with the display hardware.  Are there any diagnostics that I can run?

I have an Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH with two Acer H236HL bid 23-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitors running W10 but in the past running W8 with similar problems.  I updated all the drivers to the most recent ones (I just got the most recent display drivers). 

• 1. Re: Strange system crashes
          mikec_intel

Hi MGK,

I would like to replicate the issue on this Intel® NUC Kit 5i5RYH. Could you please provide me with current BIOS version, operating system version, speed of the memory, model of the hard drive? Let me know how you are connecting the monitors to the NUC, type of video cables, adapters. Tell me about your BIOS customization.

Are you getting these errors while running a specific program?

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: Strange system crashes
            MGK

To answer your questions:

Windows Version    10.0.10586 Build 10586

BIOS Version/Date    Intel Corporation RYBDWi35.86A.0246.2015.0309.1355, 3/9/2015

Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3-1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) 204-Pin SODIMM Notebook Memory CT2KIT102464BF160B / CT2CP102464BF160B

Cable Matters Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt Port Compatible) to VGA Cable in White 6 Feet

AmazonBasics High-Speed Mini-HDMI to HDMI Cable - 6.5 Feet (2 Meters) - Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return

Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB M.2 3.5-Inch SSD (MZ-N5E500BW)

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM)

I did not do any BIOS customization.  The issues with the tabs getting blackened out seems to happen in several programs but I notice it most in web browsers (I use Firefox).  The problem always seems to appear after I leave my computer for an extended time period.  Interestingly, I had left WidEdt open over night, and this morning was the first time that I can recall that the window was not frozen.

Thanks for looking into this.

• 3. Re: Strange system crashes
              mikec_intel

Hi MGK,

I noted you are using an older BIOS version. Please update the BIOS to version 0348 then, 0350 using F7 and recovery option.

Drivers & Software

Update the chipset and Management Engine drivers of the NUC too.

Drivers & Software

It is better to use 2 modules of memory of the same brand and model.

Regards,
              Mike C

• 4. Re: Strange system crashes
                MGK

Thanks for the recommendations.  I updated the bios/drivers as you suggest, so now I'll sit back to see if the problem gets resolved.  In the meantime, I have a couple questions and comments.

First, I notice that the BIOS that you suggested I update to (0348 then 350), but there are more recent ones.  I updated to 350 and left it there.  Is that OK?

Secondly, FYI, I do use two identical memory modules.

• 5. Re: Strange system crashes
                  Eaglehawk

I've been having constant freezes/reboots since getting my NUC5i7RYH. It would crash on the 8th day, then crash in 24 hours, then crash again in 8 days, repeating the pattern. It didn't matter how many times I'd reboot it during those gaps either.

I did memory tests with no errors, and swapping the two 8GB sticks around would make it switch between freezing, and rebooting. (So I chose the reboot option)

And then I noticed that I had set the Power Options to High Performance.

This resulted in the i7 CPU running in Turbo mode at 3.35Ghz ALL THE TIME (as reported in Task Manager). Of course, because I done this since I installed Windows 10, I didn't realise it was reporting the actual CPU speed, and was just being informative about the CPU's capability.

Since switching to Balanced, and seeing the CPU speed now fluctuate according to load, I've now lasted past 9 days...*fingers crossed*...

• 6. Re: Strange system crashes
                    MGK

Hi Mike C

After a couple days of running with the BIOS update, the problem seems to happen less, once or twice a day versus about half a dozen times per day.  Should I update the bios further to the most recent versions?

Thanks,

Mark

• 7. Re: Strange system crashes
                      mikec_intel

Hi MGK,

Sure, I recommend you to update the BIOS to the latest version. Also, run Windows® 10 update, it will install the latest NUC drivers.

Regards,
                      Mike C