12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 9:52 AM by sclaws

NUC6i5SYK 3D Blu ray playback problem (same as NUC5i5xx)

sclaws

It is frustrating and embarrassing for me to post that the exact playback issue I had with the NUC5i5RYK exists in the new generation. I don't have incentive to repeat my problem so here's a link to the UNRESOLVED thread I created months ago. It describes exactly the current problem.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/76605

Figure this out Intel.

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYK 3D Blu ray playback problem (same as NUC5i5xx)
          mikec_intel

Hi sclaws,

Please update the BIOS and make sure you have the latest drivers of the NUC. If you are using Windows® 10, run Windows® 10 update.

Then, go to Intel® HD graphics control panel, select Display, Color Settings; select Advanced option and enable YCbCr, save changes and restart your device.

Let me know, how it works.

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYK 3D Blu ray playback problem (same as NUC5i5xx)
            sclaws

Hello mikec_intel,

I am running the current BIOS and latest drivers. My Windows 10 update is current. I selected YCbCr as you suggested, rebooted, and played a 3D blu ray to test. The issue remains.

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYK 3D Blu ray playback problem (same as NUC5i5xx)
              mikec_intel

Hi sclaws,

Intel did a big improvement on graphics with 6th gen processors; however, please remember NUCs are Small PCs, the air flow in the chassis is limited. The amount of share memory for graphics on NUCs is slower than regular desktops. On desktops the processor takes up to 1.7GB. On NUCs the maximum is 1024MB.

I suggest you to get into the BIOS, increase the IGD Aperture Size to 1024MB; by default is set to 512MB. It is at Devices tab>Video.

Regards,
              Mike C

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYK 3D Blu ray playback problem (same as NUC5i5xx)
                sclaws

Hi Mike,

I've tried increasing the aperature size with no change in the 3D blu ray problem. I also don't understand how that would have any effect on 3D blu ray image rendering. Either way, the problem is still there.

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYK 3D Blu ray playback problem (same as NUC5i5xx)
                  geforce28

I've exactly the Same Problem.

Tested with my Nuc 5th Generation with i5 and with my new NUC6i5syk ...

That is very frustrating that Intel do nothing to fix sience a very long time...

My other German friends have gone to zotac... They haven't Problems with the dedicated Nvidia Cards.

INTEL !!! Please FIX this Problem, otherwise it will harm your Image.

• 6. Re: NUC6i5SYK 3D Blu ray playback problem (same as NUC5i5xx)
                    sclaws

Sorry Intel, you just lost me. I'm sick of your inability to resolve (or even acknowledge) this issue. I'm selling the NUC on Ebay and just ordered a Zotac mini PC w/Nvidia graphics. I really did like the NUC, but support for an issue like this has proven your lack of interest toward any group of client other than mainstream. Later.

• 7. Re: NUC6i5SYK 3D Blu ray playback problem (same as NUC5i5xx)
                      Randyc

I also am in the same thread sclaws mentioned at the beginning of this post.  This is seriously frustrating.  I have had 3 nucs now - all unable to playback 3d movies.  The nuc5i3, nuc5i5, and now the nuc6i5.  Same issue on everyone.  It's not a BIOS issue.  It seems like it MUST be a driver issue, but 9 months of driver updates never corrected anything on the 5th gen series. Let's see we have the HD6000, HD5500, and now the Iris 540 all exhibiting the same issue.  I bet that this issue is prevalent on all Intel products with Intel graphics, but I am not going to spend anymore money to find out.

I like the idea of the Zotac that sclaws mentioned.  I don't like the idea of spending another 700 plus dollars to get a product that works right.

Just to be clear, the NUC6i5syk is awesome.  If it could just do 3d movie playback, I would give it the highest rating possible.  That said, not being able to play 3d movies really ruins it as an HTPC.

I give up too.  Good luck to the rest of you.

• 8. Re: NUC6i5SYK 3D Blu ray playback problem (same as NUC5i5xx)
                        Randyc

mikec_intel wrote:

Hi sclaws,

Intel did a big improvement on graphics with 6th gen processors; however, please remember NUCs are Small PCs, the air flow in the chassis is limited. The amount of share memory for graphics on NUCs is slower than regular desktops. On desktops the processor takes up to 1.7GB. On NUCs the maximum is 1024MB.

I suggest you to get into the BIOS, increase the IGD Aperture Size to 1024MB; by default is set to 512MB. It is at Devices tab>Video.

Regards,
                        Mike C

Yes, the graphics chip is faster.  Woo hoo.  Aperture should have no effect on the ability to playback video.  Tried all of that on the nuc5i5 anyhow - no go.  On the nuc6i5, I thought it broke the system.  Power light would come on but system wouldn't post.  I had to do a BIOS recovery.  Searching the net, I saw many others had that problem too, but many of them just sent the nuc back.

Terrible QA on this guys.

• 9. Re: NUC6i5SYK 3D Blu ray playback problem (same as NUC5i5xx)
                          bhoran

I wish I could just go to the zotac box.  But one thing I still need that I cannot find anywhere else is a graphics card that does 23.976 refresh rate as accurately as Intel.  If the Zotac box can do it then I'm gonna have to buy one of those and never look back at a NUC again!

I also installed the latest MadVR, LAV filters and MPC-BE, got everything setup.  2D works great, 3D (I'm using makemkv to generate a 3D mkv file),  madVR generates the 3d correctly...and then lo and behold, the same 3d artifacts appear.  Image distorts frequently and Depth is incorrect at random parts of the image.  If I back up or pause, it fixes itself and then later on happens again.

So this really proves that it's the fault of the intel driver because now 3 different softwares: Power DVD, Stereoscopic Player and now madVR all give me broken 3D and with the same artifacts across all three different softwares.

So frustrating that after all these years, Intel has not even fixed this in the skylake NUC.

• 10. Re: NUC6i5SYK 3D Blu ray playback problem (same as NUC5i5xx)
                            sclaws

re: 23.976, have to ask but have you tried Reclock? Works great for me. I did go to the NUC as well when Intel nailed the refresh rate...just never expected this other kind of showstopper issue (for me, at least).

• 11. Re: NUC6i5SYK 3D Blu ray playback problem (same as NUC5i5xx)
                              bhoran

I haven't used Reclock.  But I usually bitstream my audio so I can play dts, dts-hd as well as dolby atmos through my receiver.  I'm not sure if reclock allows that.  So basically perfect 23.976 and bitstreaming audio are two must have's for me as well as 3d playback which the intel NUC cannot do properly

• 12. Re: NUC6i5SYK 3D Blu ray playback problem (same as NUC5i5xx)
                                sclaws

Here's a video I made that tries to demonstrate the 3D blu ray playback issue:

http://1drv.ms/1SK79kV