1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 19, 2016 4:31 PM by ivanu_intel

Lost recovery function in win8.1

johnQ

Compute stick (win8.1)  tells me I need to boot to windows install disk and click on "repair computer" when I try to restore or refresh in win8.1. I know recovery partition is there. I see  it under "manage disk storage". It is 6.35 gb and marked as Healthy and labeled as RECOVERY. I think the link to it is broken. I have successfully updated my BIOS to ver31 (latest). The recovery problem still remains and yes I noticed it after trying failed win10 internet upgrade attempt. I do not have win8.1 install disk. I was told by Microsoft I can download win8.1 install stuff to a usb drive as long as I have windows product key. I can then boot to usb drive and click on repair computer. Don't see product key anywhere on stick. How I get product key?  and yes, after I fix this problem I will try non-internet win10 upgrade method as intel recommends.

• 1. Re: Lost recovery function in win8.1
          ivanu_intel

Hello johnQ,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Unfortunately we don’t have a product key to provide, this unit comes with a preinstall Windows 8.1 already with the product key, at this point the only suggestion we have for this is to set your system to defaults setting as you already did, this are the steps:

1. Remove any SD card, if installed.
          2. Press F8 when you see this prompt during boot: F8 to Activate Windows 8.1* Recovery Mode.
          3. Select Troubleshoot.
          4. Select Reset your PC, then select Next.
          5. Select just remove my files.
          6. Select Reset to start the restore process.

If you already did this recovery method and you’re not able to recover your system I would suggest to submit a ticket to get a replacement for the unit, you can do the request at the following link:

Contact Support

Best regards,

Ivan